GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psycho revisited  (Read 5042 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 04:07 AM »

Have fun!  Make sure the uphaul is adjustable so you can fine tune for your conditions.  Let us know what you think...

I have a psycho in the bag, and fly i not a much as i'd like because of the oversteer. I think i'm going to try your bridle measurements.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
stapp59

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:04 PM »

Lil Psycho has a bigger cousin visiting for an extended stay.  Looks to be from the same lighthouse district.  Should add to the fun...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:32 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 04:13 AM »

wow..you are prolific! i remember someone stacking them in past..i do not remember the outcome....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
stapp59

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35 AM »

You are the second person already who asked about stacking those.  The Stranger/Psycho pair would make an attractive progressive stack flying off the back of that speed boat this summer.  Huh  I have stacking lines so who knows...

wow..you are prolific! i remember someone stacking them in past..i do not remember the outcome....

Steve in Indiana

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 04:51 AM »

well i think that these matching ones would make a great looking stack....the standard versions colors would be sort of hideous together Tongue

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
stapp59

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45 PM »

As SKB pointed out to me, if you are breaking a bunch of LLEs on your psycho, SS tubes may prove more durable than the pultruded tubes.  That's a good reason to reframe.

I've not flown the original and clone during the same sessions though I generally do prefer the SSs given a choice.  I know I preferred P200s in the Sanos (another 7' duallie) over the Eastons so I reframed all my Sanos and used the Easton tubes for upper spreaders in other projects.

Bottom line if you are actively flying the Psycho, I'd be inclined to reframe. An opinion.

Statically it's a wash.  Both the original and my reproduction weigh in ~7.6 oz give or take a little.

I have a crude setup where  I suspend a 4.5lb steel block from the middle a given tube suspended at each end at a distance of 30" then measure the deflection with a ruler.  This gives a rough idea of the static stiffness.

Both the P200 and the Excel .2300 (6mm) deflect at 1.25 inches.  The P2X is a little stiffer at 1.125 deflection.

How would you compare that frame to the 6mm?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:33 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 04:44 PM »

Those kites look great!  THe lighthouse effect is awesome.  My first impression was to stack as well, and I agree with Thief you are prolific
stapp59

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27 AM »

Thanks for the comments DMF!  Wanted to play with the asym idea a bit more.  Not as radical looking as I thought it might be and easy to track in the air.  Cheesy

Those kites look great!  THe lighthouse effect is awesome.  My first impression was to stack as well, and I agree with Thief you are prolific

Steve in Indiana

DMF

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00 AM »

I might try your lighthouse theme on a sixth sense, if you don't mind Wink
stapp59

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58 PM »

Have at it DMF.  I can't take much credit for originality.  Smiley

I might try your lighthouse theme on a sixth sense, if you don't mind Wink

St Augustine lighthouse.  Except for the stripes going the wrong way, they got it right Smiley Have been here twice. My pic.

Dress needs a red top.

Inspired!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:34 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

stapp59

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 01:18 PM »

Stranger first flights:

When tying the bridle for the Stranger I decided to ignore the stock settings and tie something similar to what's on the Psycho with wider tow points.  This was initially too wide and low but after several iterations found reasonable bridle settings at:

Steve's 3 point
Uphaul:    19.0
Outhaul:    22.0
Inhaul:   25.0

The stock measurements are:

Factory 3 point
Uphaul:    23.75
Outhaul:    31.0
Inhaul:    23.75

There was an alternate turbo published some time back that I have not tried yet:

Uphaul   21.25" 54cm
Outhaul   29.5" 75cm
Inhaul    24.5" 62cm
Turbo     4.0" 10cm 

Winds have been lower the past several days but enough to get the Stranger up for a few sessions. 

The Stranger is big with an 8 1/2' wingspan.  The LEs are too long for my car trunk Sad It floats better than the smaller 7' Psycho but still needs 5+ winds to be useful.  The Stranger is surprisingly slower paced and not prone to speed up in gusts perhaps due to the longer wider keel and wide spaced standoffs.  ABTs seem to be there and it rolls up easily without weight in the tail or stoppers.  In some ways it reminds me of the Mantis as it does easy endless cascades.  The window may not be as wide as some but more flying is needed.  Do not know what the top wind range is yet.

Does anyone still fly these?

Steve in Indiana

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 01:44 PM »

Does anyone still fly these?

I had one for a while a few years ago and it was certainly a unique kite. I've always been on the lookout for the poly/wrapped frame version to keep.

I liked the size of it, and some stuff was loads of fun. I didn't like the flight quality but never tuned it much from stock. I let it be the trend setting dinosaur it was.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 06:57 AM »

Yesterday was well suited for Lil Psycho.  Wind meter showed bumpy winds averaging in the mid teens with gusts to 20.  As mentioned, the kite will fly down to 5 but needs 8 to be fully powered up and is most fun in the mid teens.  With the leech line, the sail is silent.  Only when spinning tightly in the middle of the window during the big gusts did I hear humming in the sail and some tip shimmy in the LLEs.

Am not sure what the upper wind range of this kite is yet.  I left the bridle at the same setting I had been using for lower winds and the sail pressure only started to build in the 20+ gusts.  If the winds were higher I'm sure the uphauls could be pulled in a little to shed the extra sail pressure. I was on 75' by 150# lines but 90# would have been ok for the most part.

The P200/5PT frame seems to be a good match as the kite felt very solid most of the time. The little tip shimmy in the gusts suggest that P300s or even Nitros in the LLEs would be an option if you live in a high wind area.

The kite is just fun and with the new bridle much easier to fly and predictable.  It rolls up easily without any additional weight.  It was fun to pull a fade launch and with a wrist flick put it back on the ground in the same pre launch belly down position.  It will need stoppers if you want to fly it wrapped up.

Does anyone have a good method for estimating the proper position of the stoppers on a new kite?  Otherwise I'll just take a good guess with a couple of extra holes on either side.

If you don't have something like this or a mingem in your bag for those blustery beach days, you should...

Steve in Indiana

inewham

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 04:19 PM »

Does anyone have a good method for estimating the proper position of the stoppers on a new kite?  Otherwise I'll just take a good guess with a couple of extra holes on either side.

The usual rule of thumb is 2/5 down the LE from the nose.

stapp59

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 06:31 AM »

Thanks Ian!  I'll see where 2/5th LE puts the stoppers..

The usual rule of thumb is 2/5 down the LE from the nose.

Steve in Indiana

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum