GWTW Forum
February 06, 2016, 05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Ozone as SUL for a beginner?  (Read 1004 times)
Fanta
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 18, 2016, 04:00 AM »

Hello to all. First of all sorry for my english. I'm an absolute beginner (way, bye bye Mr. Starman  Sad ) of this great sport. For the moment I use only two lines kites.  I'm starting to learn the basic fly and the first simple tricks. I have one STD and one UL in my bag. Because I live in a place with tipically little or no wind, and I have to move for 250 km to go to the sea, I'm looking for an used SUL to buy to practice near home when possible. A friend of mine is proposing one using Prism Ozone (he has five of this model in his bag, plus some Vapor, he's a Prism old models fan!). He says that it can't do all the tricks of modern kites (it has a more "ZEN" fly style), but it can fly with very little or no wind (in this case you have to run a lot), and is rugged enough for a beginner. What you think about? SUL alternatives to the Ozone for beginners? Many thanks to all.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10 AM »

Are you able to try one of his?
SUL flying is as suggested: few tricks, instead smooth sweet flying when little else is flying....

No matter what SUL you get, pick up extras sticks. These kites are more fragile and you will break rods.

The hq shadow is supposed to be a good one that you can grab more readily....
Skyburner kites has a superb SUL in their prodancer....

There are a few choices out there, just keep an eye out for a good deal.... And definitely ask to try one out!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:24 AM »

The only negative to the Ozone is that it may be hard to find one. But maybe your friend with 5 of them is offering you one of his ? Maybe I mis-read...
As mentioned above, spare parts would be great to have on hand, too. I frequently put my Ozone into the hands of new fliers, it makes it as simple as possible to fly in low winds. It will do plenty of tricks, but not all the tricks... but let's face it, when you're flying in low wind conditions, the biggest trick is just flying at all !

Michel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:10 AM »

The only negative to the Ozone is that it may be hard to find one.

... and hard to find Avia G-Force Skinny UL replacement spars too...  Wink
damp_weather

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 10:17 AM »

Our first SUL was an Ozone...
Yes - more limited in tricks - (because of the low aspect ratio [~ low ratio of width to height] ?) particularly difficult in pitch rotation tricks (e.g. yo-yo).  Does lovely axels, 540s and pin-wheels.  And the only kite I could usually dead-launch.  The one thing that is at the front of my thoughts - because of the thin rods used in the leading edges, the frame distorts with heavy tugs on the lines, so if switching from a modern high end kite, flying it takes some getting used to - have to do gentler inputs. 
We did break the frame several times - but that was by stepping on it, and almost certainly from squashing it between bags in the car boot.  Also had a tear to the Mylar around the centre tee (early style Ozone sail) that was probably caused by flying the kite.

(Nowadays my favourite is a well-used Ocius SUL.  Despite it being made of Skyshark Zero, it does not need such gentle inputs as an Ozone.  And since it is stored in a rigid plastic tube and hasn't been trodden on, haven't yet broken anything - even though it has been lent to an absolute beginner on several occasions.)

...and hard to find Avia G-Force Skinny UL replacement spars too...
Regarding the Skinny UL lower spreaders - I wonder if they could be substituted with Skyshark 2PT?  Haven't tried this myself. My reason for thinking it might work is that Tim Benson switched from using Skinny UL to using 2PT in his Inner Space, and although I have each version, when flying them I can't tell the difference.

One thing to be aware of -- Our experience was that it is possible move the Ozone standoffs into positions where the kite becomes unflyable - either: because it will not stay up in light winds, or because it can no longer be steered.   - Your friend should be able to help you avoid these settings.

In summary: Fanta, you could do a lot worse than an Ozone.  Can be very enjoyable to fly.  But be ready to adjust your flying style between this and stiffer framed kites.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:00 AM by damp_weather » Logged
Fanta

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:30 PM »

Hello, many thanks to all!. Yes, my friend propose to me to buy one of its ozones. He rightly inform me about the things you are reporting. Very different to fly with it than modern kites, not possible to do all the triks, etc. He's an expert pilot and use very well more modern and trickable STD, UL and SUL kites. He also builds very beautiful kites.  But, with little wind, he loves the Ozone very much, and says that it takes less wind to fly than other modern SUL kites.
@thief, yes, I might try it, probably I will do, but, because, I'm total beginner, I can't evaluate if it is OK for me or not. My concern is to break it because I'm not so able to fly, or not being able to fly it because it is different from the others I have.
Anyway, maybe I can wait a bit and learn more, try it and some other SUL, then decide. You agree with this? Thanks!

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 02:18 PM »

Fanta where after you located? There might be other flyers who have other SULs you could try.

Do we dare ask who your friend is with the horde? Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Fanta

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:45 PM »

Fanta where after you located? There might be other flyers who have other SULs you could try.

Do we dare ask who your friend is with the horde? Wink
Hello, sorry I don't had compiled my location. I'm in the north of Italy. I imagine that it will be possible to meet other flyers in the next months and try other SUL... As wrote, also my friend have other SUL. The question is that I'm still not so sure of myself to ask others to make me try their SUL, since they are very fragile. For this reason, maybe I will wait and learn more before.
My friend first talk to me about this forum, but I don't know if he is still registered and with wich nick, sorry.
Lex B

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 11:23 AM »

when they ar as 'crazy' as we are, they will lend it to you ..  Wink

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
RobB

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 03:40 PM »

I have handed my Ozone to many interested on-lookers. It was well-flown before I got it (thanks, TMP !). The sail is the opposite of 'crispy'... it's like silk. It has never failed for me & all the people who have flown it in my care... I would say it's the toughest SUL that I have. Something about the tension in the setup makes it tougher than other SULs.

Fanta

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 07:39 AM »

I have handed my Ozone to many interested on-lookers. It was well-flown before I got it (thanks, TMP !). The sail is the opposite of 'crispy'... it's like silk. It has never failed for me & all the people who have flown it in my care... I would say it's the toughest SUL that I have. Something about the tension in the setup makes it tougher than other SULs.

Hello Rob, thanks for the reply, sorry but I don't understand very well (my english is primitive...), are you talking about his strength? So you suggest it as SUL for beginners? Many thanks more.
RobB

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43 PM »

I have handed it off to many people that have never even flown a dual line kite, and it's held up fine. All in the course of the ~10 years that I've had it, I haven't broken it, and no one else that I've let fly it has broken it, either. It's taken it's share of crashes without damage, the only time it broke is when I accidentally stepped on my kite bag (doh!).

Fanta

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22 PM »

Many thanks Rob for your comment. I'll think some more, thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom