GWTW Forum
July 01, 2016, 05:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero G  (Read 850 times)
Star lady
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 19, 2016, 07:47 AM »

After watching every video......I still can't figure out where people are putting the line hoop.
On the ground?  In their pocket?   How are they not tangling the line after it dumps on the ground.  All the videos show the kites and NOT their hands.  I see them, pulling line all the time and pulling in but how do they not tangle?  Mine arrives today.............
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56 AM »

Usually you pull off whatever length you need to fly and then stuff the rest in your pocket.  The line does end on the ground when you pull the line in but after some practice, you learn how to side step it or walk to the side as you pull so you don't end up stepping on it, then when the kite glides away you feed it back out.  Rarely do you ever get tangles in the line. 

Star lady

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:02 AM »

Thank you.   Some people seem to be wrapping line around two hands....it's hard to see well.
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:54 AM »

Great question!  I first flew my Zero G with no thought to the issue of the winder.  I let it lay upon the grass with a sad result, I stepped on it & broke the brittle plastic winder.  So I made a wooden one out of a scrap of purple heart wood.  It is thick enough that I can step on it but now I usually unwind plenty of line & put it well out of the way.  I have tried the pocket method.  It works fine if flying powered up in a breeze.  But for me, while flying in zero wind, I feed too much line & it's back on the ground in no time.  But I'm just out here flailing as usual....  SHBKF

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+37)

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:44 PM »

For maneuverable single line kites, line management is a learned skill.

I flew fighter kites in wind long before I ever flew low/no wind gliders like the Zero G, but the line management is similar (though somewhat more complicated if moving around with a glider).

Not much worry about tangling the line as long as it is left alone pile and un-pile naturally. Its when someone steps in it or tries to pick it up that tangles happen.

I use my right hand to control the kite and my left hand to manage the line. So I normally unreel the amount of line I'm likely to need to my left, and keep it in mind if I move my feet. In wind, it's pretty easy to fly flat footed, keeping the line pile to your left. I really refined this skill in kite fighting competition when you can't move your feet outside a fairly small circle.

While you will do hand over hand to pull in line, the line should be in your control hand when you stop. this way the final pull in will be on the side with the pile, and your "pile hand" can make sure the line doesn't end up on your feet, that it actually piles and un-piles next to you.

When flying indoors or outdoors in very low to no wind, especially with a kite that glides, I tend to move around a lot. Keeping the line in mind all the time is tricky. Stepping on it is common. When possible, I fly barefoot. This helps a LOT. Once I was wearing sandals with velcro straps that seemed to reach out and grab any light weight kite line within reach. When moving around, the line piles and un-piles wherever you go. Most of the time in these situations you are using fairly short line, so it's not too much of a mess. If flying in places with civilians or spectators, be aware that they might tread on the line trailing behind you too. I used to fly in airports between flights and even had a fast moving shuttle (one of those oversized golf carts) roll over line as I hustled out of the way in an otherwise mostly deserted hallway.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Star lady

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44 PM »

After two frustrating hours in the twilight, crashing into the ground over and over.......I did get up to a whopping five passes.  Next morning only two.  But tonight miracles of miracles, this 66 year old lady made nine passes consistently.  I feel like I've climbed Everest!!!!!
So exciting to learn a new skill.  Thanks for all the advice on line management too, it really helped.  I think I'm on my way now to have lots of fun.  By the way, I lost count of the neighbors who kept telling me that there just wasn't enough wind!!!!!!  I gave up explaining.
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:08 PM »

Your new found skills will translate well to other kites.  Learning to feel the sail pressure is key to making successful climbing maneuvers.  A steady light pull can be magic.  You have probably already noticed that you need to wait on the kite & not necessarily hurry it to have success.  You can do ground launches with the Zero G in the nose toward you position by pulling at an angle off the center line of the kite.  Maybe around thirty degrees or so.  Took me a bit of trying different things to come up with that but then read about it later.  Some like to fly with lighter lines than the stock one & you might want to experiment there also.  I have fiddled with the bridle & glide adjustments quite a bit but usually leave it in one setting that is comfortable for me.  Try to adjust the glide so it doesn't stall too easily & glides straight.  The bridle can affect the turning response as well as the hauling line climbing characteristics.  But these are just the thoughts of a sole hill billie kite flailer out here in the sticks.   SHBKF
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:23 PM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Star lady

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:51 PM »

My biggest problem seemed to me to be remembering to go hand over hand to reel in the line instead of a silly long pull that was never enough.  Part of the problem is the amazement of watching it glide and forgetting to manage the line.  I imagine it will become habit.  To me, it is just spectacular.  Also, slowing down is always hard when learning a new skill.  Rushing doesn't work the zero g.  But it's worth the effort.

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 03:11 PM »

AWesome!!!  I love reading about your progress.  It reminds me of my learning curve and when I finally hit that Ah-Ha moment when it started to click.  It only gets better from here.  So happy you didn't give up.  Congrats on a new found skill and fun.

coogee

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37 PM »

Sooner or later some one will come up and say "If you put a tail on you will get it to fly"

Smile and thank them

Smile even more on the inside

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom