GWTW Forum
July 03, 2015, 08:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: El Nino by Team High Fly  (Read 878 times)
Darian
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 21, 2015, 09:58 AM »

Does anybody remember this kite from the 1990s? I am uncertain about the years specifically. If you are familiar with this kite and know of a relatively inexpensive kite produced today that has similar flight characteristics, I would appreciate information.

It had a wingspan of about 6'(IIRC).

Thanks for any help. This is my first post on this Forum.

Darian Rachal

Darian Rachal
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:22 AM »

Welcome to the Forum.

Could you tell us what flight characteristics the kite had

that you are attempting to duplicate with a modern kite?

Page 52 of the following link has info on the kite in question:

http://www.kitelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/v3-4.pdf
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:25 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:16 PM »

I think this is an El Niño, a local flier had a few vintage kites that I repaired for him.
It has two different standoff positions to change the performance characteristics.

clickable thumbnail

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
Dave362

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 05:52 AM »

I kept staring at the picture, not quite able to bring the memory into focus...  The SKQ link did the trick. I remember wanting one of these, the 3/4 version of the full size Team High Fly.  I still have my collection of SKQs, with the big glossy ads.  The full size kite was very elegant and a delight to fly.  It felt light on the lines (to me) and responded to a gentle touch. In those days, the way a kite turned was a big deal.  I remember the Team High Fly as carving smooth and predictable turns. I also remember it as what I thought would be a good ballet kite.  A good friend owned one when I lived in Florida in teh 1990s. I used to fly it a lot.  Never did get a shot at the 3/4
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 05:59 AM by Dave362 » Logged
Darian

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:36 AM »

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. John, the thing I remember most about the El Nino was how blazingly fast it would spin in a brisk wind. When I would pull on the line to make it spin once, I'd have absolutely no idea which direction the kite would be pointing when it came out of the spin. Consequently, it would take quick reflexes to gain control after the spin. Also, the kite had some very nice flight characteristics at the edge of the wind; maybe it was just the way I could get it to float and drift about. It seemed to be very controllable at the edge of the wind(IIRC).

SKB, That's a nice photo of the El Nino. Mine was colored a bit different. I do seem to recall that I found one particular standoff setting preferable to the other.

John, I noticed in the SKQ review that the kite sold for $145. I believe I purchased it for $125.00 from the High Fly Kite Company. I subscribed to SKQ for years and immensely enjoyed the reviews they published.

Dave, I also owned the full sized Team High Fly and although I liked it pretty well, my favorite full sized kite was the Stinger 1000. I believe I purchased it from Into The Wind for $150 back in the '80s.

It's been many(10+)? years since I've done any kite flying, so I really do not know what is on the market these days. I suspect I'd have to get something in the 5-6 feet wingspan range to get something as quick as the El Nino. Smiley

Darian Rachal
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:55 AM »

If you like a tight spinning kite, most can be made to do that by

moving the tow points toward the spine by adjusting the bridle.

These days, most sport kite fliers like a wingspan between

7 and 7.5 feet ( 2.1 to 2.3 m ) although I like them closer to 8 feet (2.44 m).

I believe any well made sport kite will surprise you with its ability.

The use of modern materials and methods (tapered, wrapped rods for example)

have brought up the response and nimble qualities of all higher end kites.

There are literally hundreds of really nice kite models to choose from.

A bridle adjustment will give you the quality you're looking for from any of them.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Darian

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:04 PM »

John, Thanks again for your response and suggestions.

One other thing I remember about the El Nino beside how quickly it would spin was the turning radius was pretty small. I've seen many kites that would spin at their wing tips, but from what I recall, the El Nino would spin much closer to it's center.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:26 PM by Darian » Logged

Darian Rachal
Dave362

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:24 AM »

Darian,
agreed on the Stinger 1000.  I still have mine and its still a blast to fly.  That said, I agree with John regarding the abilities of modern kites.  I would suggest looking at what's available these days.  Its truly amazing! I just purchased a Skyburner Ocius which is a 7 ft kite.  I am so impressed with what this kite can do, and yet it is extremely well mannered and smooth.  This is just one example and I mention it only because your original post was about a smaller kite.   Do some research, read some reviews, inquire on this great forum.  Good luck!  Smiley
Darian

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 07:49 AM »

Dave, Thanks for the suggestions. If I can find something that even is remotely similar to the El Nino I'll be pleased. Smiley

Darian Rachal
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum