GWTW Forum
April 30, 2016, 08:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: they say you never forget your first ...  (Read 6924 times)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 12:29 PM »

New Tech Kites Cherry Bomb in Ember color scheme.

ATB,
Sam
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 12:44 PM »

As a kid, a Peter Powell stunter that lasted about 5 or 6 days of intensive flying before the plastic film sail tore.  Didn't pick up a kite again for another 30 odd years, when I bought a Benson Gemini.  Very fond memories of both.  Cool
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+36)

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 07:56 PM »

Paper diamond kites in the '60s, then mylar dragons and fighters and an assortment of other SLKs in the '70s.

First modern kite was a Shanti cube in '98

a month later, first sport kite was the Prism Vector which still lives in the bottom of my kite bag and comes out to play once a year or so. It was awesome then, and it's gotten better with age.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 10:20 PM »

So I see I'm in good company with the former Aerobat owners Cheesy Cheesy Fun little body dragger in a good wind. But, I wanted a kite I could fly without a helper, so I could go out anytime I pleased. After a disasterous encounter with a GFAK product of some sort, I wanted an AirFX. Couldn't afford one, so I settled on a K2. That was a great kite. Early shaped sail, and really took quite a bit of effort to stall, it just wanted to keep flying and flying. Still have all 3 Smiley Smiley Thanks for the memories.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 01:14 PM »

As a kid i had some SLK's and plastic stuntkites. First sportkite was this:

Siegerís Delta (Dart)

This was my first carbon/nylon dual line kite. Got it as a birthday present (11th or 12th) from my parents including dacron lines and a wooden steering bar. After a while i bought some kevlar lines and skyclaws and i was amazed by the difference. A lot more pull and the kite reacted much quicker on inputs. The kite (only 1,5 meters wide) could drag me along the wide beaches of Terschelling with ease. Still have it and reframed it a while ago. All 6mm pultruded rods.

Darian

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 08:33 AM »

2200 CC purchased from Into The Wind back in the early '80s. Smiley

Darian Rachal
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37 PM »

There's a picture of my mom & I flying a kite when I was around 3, or 58 years ago. Bought, built and trashed many paper SLK's through the 60's. In 1982/83 I bought a cheap plastic delta with an eagle or hawk on it to fight with friends who had independently discovered kite fighting (Still have that thing) Soon after a cheap plastic "Controllable" kite which I couldn't control. Tried to fly it just down the street (maybe 100 yards) from where Steve lived in Chico before the street went through that field.

A TRLBY in yellow stripes was my first successful "Stunt" kite, pretty sure it was 1983 and I still have the remnants of it too, it was replaced by a couple new ones until I saw, flew and soon bought my first "Real" stunt of fiberglass tubing and nylon sail, an Avenger, a design by Don Tabor and produced by Jerry Sinote of "One of Jerry's Kites" out of San Diego.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
TGunn

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29 PM »

The usual paper kites in the 60's and 70's. Like many others here, my first stunt kite was a Skynasaur Aerobat. I still have it. I got my start in Lincoln City, Oregon in the 80's.

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 01:03 PM »

Hey, that's my picture and my first stunt kite! (No problem with your posting it though.)  Wink

A total brick except in ballistic winds, and the lack of standoffs was terrible in the turbulent winds around my house.  But it was a blast in good beach winds.

I had it out out a few years ago with spectra lines - what a difference!

Then several years later, I got a Shanti Skywave, and the addiction really bit.

Memories, memories . . .

not my pic, but my kite was the same

It was a red Skynasaur F-36 in June 1989. I had no success with flying it and was ready to burn the darn thing until I met some more experienced fliers who gave me some advice about kites and flying location. I bought a copy of the TOTL 3/4 Hawaiian and found a better place to fly at and the rest was history and quite a few kites.   Wink

Steady winds, y'all.
qasamm
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 02:01 PM »

My first also.  It flew in really strong wind but steered like a tanker!  My next was a Revolution Backtracker.  Boy do I know how to pick em!

Sam

not my pic, but my kite was the same

It was a red Skynasaur F-36 in June 1989. I had no success with flying it and was ready to burn the darn thing until I met some more experienced fliers who gave me some advice about kites and flying location. I bought a copy of the TOTL 3/4 Hawaiian and found a better place to fly at and the rest was history and quite a few kites.   Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rickks

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 08:14 AM »

Old post but... the 1st sport kite to actually fly for me...was a White rainbow Jam Session...still have it,didn't take me long to poke a hole in the sail, lower spreader popped out...repaired it with super glue been fine ever since...believe that was 1998 oh my!

nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 10:44 AM »

Yep, old post but I'm an old flyer Cheesy The usual newsprint and dry cleaner bag homemade in the late 50's, Hi Fliers and Galas through the 60's and into the 70's. Thought I was too old for such nonsense in high school,  college, and early married life, but when a couple of kids came along I decided it was time to play again in the mid 80's with my first stunter, a flo pink Hyperkites Hot Wing. Still got it, fly it in a quad lined 12 stack now.
 Grin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:50 AM by nckiter » Logged
dayhiker

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 07:15 PM »

Premier AeroSport 3/4 sail with vinyl tube connectors, fiberglass rods, split ring leader attachment for clips on the lines, line set Shanti Skybond 200# x 150' with SkyClaw handles & winder   One tough kite & still flies today.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:20 PM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 11:38 PM »

Ok we all couldn't have gotten the bug from a fairly high end kite for the day. I got the bug for both flying and building from a Gayla plastic stunter. The old yellow delta one with the red keel and the two plastic rings you tied to the keel tow point and ran the lines through that barely even turned much less loop. It's also the kite I tied my first static 3 point bridle on. Cost me all of $3 back in 80 when I was 7 and I was determined to figure out how to make it work better 😂.   In fact I don't think I ever had a kite I didn't tinker with and try to improve.
dayhiker

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 05:08 PM »

Ok we all couldn't have gotten the bug from a fairly high end kite for the day. I got the bug for both flying and building from a Gayla plastic stunter. The old yellow delta one with the red keel and the two plastic rings you tied to the keel tow point and ran the lines through that barely even turned much less loop. It's also the kite I tied my first static 3 point bridle on. Cost me all of $3 back in 80 when I was 7 and I was determined to figure out how to make it work better 😂.   In fact I don't think I ever had a kite I didn't tinker with and try to improve.
I have one of those down in the Kite Dungeon right now.  It is displayed in a place of honor while many others remain in their sleeves.  I started with paper Hi-Flier kites back in the 50's in northern Ohio.  Later, in the 60's, flew kites quite a bit in northern Utah.  But the Premier AeroSport of the 80's was a whole new world.  SHBKF

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom