GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 09:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman and Lois Lane TOTL Spinoffs, update.  (Read 2339 times)
etully
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: February 20, 2014, 04:14 AM »

Here's an interesting pair,  Ron Reich's Superman and Lois Lane Spinoffs which he used in 1986 or '87 for a multi-kite ballet routine.

Both of these were picked up on ebay from Ron as sails only and are pending a correctly done frame up.  I started to frame Superman, but stopped when I realized a proper job needed to be done.  The most awesome Mike Dennis  sent me a Spinoff bridle to use, but now I need some advice on what kind of tubes and fittings to use.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:28 PM by etully » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24 AM »

Do you want to keep them retro or update them? Original Spin off standards used fiberglass K75's at .350" diameter and vinyl tubing for connectors, aluminum arrow nock inserts and nocks. Ultralights used E40 fiberglass. I'm not finding the external ferrule you'll need for the original style center T for the K75's or the E40's. As Ron's competition kites they probably had a better frame, possibly Easton tubes depending on the date, good luck with that. But also popular back then and still readily available would be the pultruded carbon tubes, usually back then in a .2540" diameter for a standard. Again hard to find that center T external ferrule today. Drop down to the .2300" diameter and you'd be in business especially if you would prefer to upgrade the fittings. The .2300" is slightly more flexible then the K75 but 8 grams lighter while being significantly stiffer then the E40's and still lighter, That would keep them framed in tubes that were available when they were originally built. For fittings then you could go retro and I might be able to help you with the vinyl tubing or upgrade to more reliable and easier to separate. APA-B's, Tradewinds or FSD's for the leading edges. Being a straight T the Tradewinds or FSD leading edge connectors can also be modded to work as the center T fitting with an aluminum external ferrule for a neater modernized job or stay with the old vinyl tube type if you prefer the full retro option. 

Here's a chart of spars, weights and deflection available today

And one of the available connectors

Sure would like to see those resurrected.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:31 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:10 PM »

if you want the original style spine connector let me know...i found some......and a skin....and bridles....and other bits too....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
etully

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15 PM »

Good heavens Mike, my head is spinning.  Thanks a bunch for that informative reply.  I am definitely going to learn a bit on this project. Cheesy
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:47 PM »

We reframed a NOS Hawaiian UL we scored in Skyshark Camo P400's, it was missing the spreaders and it really didn't make sense to replace them and leave the kite that spindly with such a narrow wind range. Quite pleased with the results. Jon currently has Camo P2X or P4X or P100/200/300's seconds all at great prices, any will work depending on the wind range you want.  The Tradewinds or FSD LE connector will still work for the center T with just a bit more mods/planning, I used a similar one on ours, the stock one won't fit Skysharks.

$25 - $30 a kite for parts if you don't want to keep them historic, no mods to the sails so a collector could revert them anytime and you'll enjoy them more today.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
etully

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:55 AM »

Thanks Mike,  I love the price on those SS P4x camo tubes.  The .244 ID will make assembly a snap with internal carbon ferrules and insertable nock ends. I also like your center-t approach.  I'll put an order in today!   Smiley  Thanks again for the education.
etully

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:59 AM »

As a follow up to my Spinoff framing project,  I decided to use carbon rods and APA fittings to make the kite flyable again.  So, I put in an order for a bunch of Sky Shark 32.5" P4X camos (at $3.50/tube  Smiley), APAs, arrow nocks, carbon ferrules, etc. and framed it up one rainy day.  Yesterday was a gorgeous spring day and I had enough wind to boot to try it out.  I was very happy with the result.  This is my first experience with a Spinoff and found it to be a nice straight flyer with crisp corners and graceful tracking when making curved patterns.  The kite also side slides surprisingly well and can even axle or half axle.

Modern APA with Sky Shark P4X camo LS.

Upper spreader is Sky Shark P100.  Leading edges and spine are all 32.5" P4X connected with internal carbon ferrules.

The spine is finished off with an arrow nock.  For the center T, I chose a hard rubber T fitting and an internal carbon ferrule to bayonet through and connect the two lower spreaders.

The bridle is a NOS Spinoff bridle.

The kite flies great and sounds great.  A big thanks to GWTW sages for all of the advice and recommendations.  The project was really quite simple, but without proper guidance, would have easily ended as a disappointment.  Next up is Lois Lane.  I think I will stack these two together!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:40 PM by etully » Logged
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33 AM »

Looks great! But rather than stacking them, get a friend interested and fly them as a pair  Wink

etully

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:44 PM »

Looks great! But rather than stacking them, get a friend interested and fly them as a pair  Wink

Pairs flying would be a nice step up, that's for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum