GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 07:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was watching a Debray Freestyle Champion 2009 video in youtube earlier....  (Read 4607 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: June 22, 2009, 10:28 PM »

The performance is nearly perfect and very precise. I watched the video for a few times. I don't know why but the performance don't turn me on at all. But when I finished with the Benson video, I just can't wait to go out to fly my kite !

When I compared the two flying styles, I found the Benson's style very energetic and alive. The kite flies like a bird or it is a real living thing. The Debray style is that the kite flies like a robot and very mechanical looking. Very boring Huh !

What do you think ?

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:37 PM »

What do you think ?
M. Debray is flying a competition routine. It's intended to score points and tick off the boxes for what is needed to do well in competition. If it impresses the passer-by then that's lovely but not the aim. At all. Think of it as Technical Freestyle.

Benson's Trick or Treat is messing about. Very good messing about but it's the flyers enjoying themselves, out to impress no-one but themselves.

Plenty of people have stopped competing because what's needed to do well in competition isn't necessarily what they want to fly, long term. This goes back all the way to The Decorators.

It's no problem to favour one approach or the other but an appreciation of both extremes shows a well developed mind  Angry

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:19 PM »

I like both styles, those Benson guys are impressive - the kites move along at such a fast pace, I often get lost just watching (in a good way).  For sure, the kites seem alive....

It's all in what you like I guess.   Have you seen the DeBray video where he is flying over the water while standing on a rocky outcrop?  I really like that one - you can tell he's having fun. 

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27 PM »

Mmmm.. try this one...

Krystal FX flown by R. Debray
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:26 AM by JimB » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:42 PM »

Or perhaps..

Frenezy Evolution
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:50 PM »

This one's rather fun.. for a boring competition routine..  Roll Eyes

Mr. Richard Debray !!

What a flyer!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:46 AM by JimB » Logged
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:25 AM »

The flying by Tim Benson and company on the Trick or Treat video is amazing, and the production values on the dvd are quite good.

Richard Debray is either flying demo's or competition routines. While they may not be as entertaining as the Benson or Kite house videos, I still get a lot out of them.

I admire Debray's speed control, where he can speed the kite up and slow it down in the same line. He literally explodes into tricks. He will be flying a line, and the next instant he is into a fade.

Typically he will demonstrate any trick he does is not a fluke by repeating it, and using both hands to do it.  I also admire how he can change the speed on his tricks. In one video, he started a Jacob's ladder off at normal speed and then slowed it way down.

I always have a number of insights after watching a Debray video. I learned a lot from the Benson trick side of the video. The treat side, while very enjoyable to watch, there is so much happening, that I don't pick up the same insights as a Debray video.

Jay
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:41 AM »

Just one more..

Debray Freestyle
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:50 AM »

The Debray style is that the kite flies like a robot and very mechanical looking. Very boring Huh !

What do you think ?

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more.  Sorry.

There are only a few fliers in the world that are even remotely in the same league as Debray.  There's a world of difference between noodling around with a kite and having good stuff just sort of happen, and being able to make it happen on command consistently.  I think once a person has tried competition a few times (or watched it a lot), they start to understand the difference.

All IMO of course.  You're free to enjoy whichever you want.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:52 AM by RonG » Logged
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:38 AM »

Yes, that's. This is how everyone is doing in a competition in order to score points in the boxes. But this only reflect the technical side of stunt kite flying with very limited 'Freedom of Expression'  Cry.

Besides technical skills, I believed the 'Freedom of Expression' side is extremely important. If this is how a competition works, then it is time to change since it doesn't measurement the true ability of the flyers. It should be like Figure Skating competition. There is a technical program and and freestyle program. The combined scores from both programs will make up the final score.

It is also like painting. There is no doubt that alot of artists have perfect technical skills but without the 'Freedom of Expression' side. He or she will never becoming a true great artist.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:46 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 05:33 AM »

This is how everyone is doing in a competition in order to score points in the boxes.
But the entire point of competition is..... to score points.  Shocked And no-one does it better than Debray. He is the gold standard for this style/type of flying.

It should be like Figure Skating competition. There is a technical program and and freestyle program. The combined scores from both programs will make up the final score.
Yeah, we tried that and everyone buggered off to Tricks Party.

It is also like painting.
You're wandering very close to the old Innovative event here and I'm not at all sure this is something we wish to flirt with again.  Embarrassed Step away from the metaphor.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:39 AM »

Download the Debray.wmv video and see if that inspires you...  I'd love to have that kind of control.  I enjoy both types of flying.  Freestyle is a lot of fun but the technical aspect of flying is what sets you apart from the rest.

RonG
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42 AM »

There is a technical program and and freestyle program. The combined scores from both programs will make up the final score.

Yes, we have precision and ballet events in "traditional" sport kite competition.  Very similar to figure skating.  And in Tricks Party, we have compulsories and a ballet program.

Now, do you really think when you're watching a figure skating "freestyle" performance that you're watching something done stream-of-consciousness fashion?  You don't think every split second of that is choreographed?  Same with kite ballet.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 08:38 AM »

Okaaayyy... So cids... I'm as big a Benson fan boy as the next guy, and it is certainly the sort of flying that I do, well.. as well as I can do it... But...

Did you watch the videos?

Huh Huh Huh
fworley
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 08:45 AM »

Richard Debray ... pffft !

Watch these - from NJSKC 06 ... OMFG !

Ron Graziano:
RonG at NJSKC06

Dave Smith:
Mr Smith goes to Jersey

-Frazer
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change