GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 03:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premier Widow NG - First Flight  (Read 647 times)
theishkid
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 23, 2014, 11:23 PM »

Here's my first flight with my new Premier Widow NG. It was finally nice out with good conditions. Sometimes the wind was a little gusty, and sometimes it crawled to almost nothing in the hour we were out there... but that's Oklahoma for you.

This was my first time actually flying a stunt kite except for my Prism foil.
Sorry for the shaky footage.
I think I did some kind of trick close to the end but honestly I couldn't do it again if you had a gun to my head.

Premier Widow NG - First Flight

Prism Snapshot 1.9
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:17 AM »

Congratulations. Conventional wisdom still holds. You won't get better unless you fly. Just keep doing it. There's plenty of tutorials out there and some good old DVD's you can get your hands on.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:18 AM »

You just about had an axel there towards the end.  Much better than my first flights.  Good job.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:05 AM »

You just about had an axel there towards the end.  Much better than my first flights.  Good job.

And, a crisp stall at about :29  Cool

Anthony
tcope

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:53 AM »

Wind speed appears to be on the upper level of the kite. When this happens you may want to spend more time with the kite a little more on the side of the wind window (more to the left of right, not directly down wind). It takes a little more skill but from watching the video I don't think you'd have any problem with this. Tricks are going to be difficult in strong wind. Most tricks require some type of slack line. Difficult when the kite is really pulling.

I'd guess the wind was around 10mph and I'd say 5-7 is the kites sweet spot.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34 AM »

That Widow NG looks nice in the sky...  A great Kite for the price.. Fly that little girl doing Squares.  I like practicing squares...  Nice sharp turns and straight lines.  That kite can track real well ( I 've flown it for that purpose).. Hold the lines steady and maintain that straight line on each turn.  Fly em' till you feel comfortable doing it. 

It's sort of learning to Putt in golf.  Keep putting 3'/4' footer's till you sink em' every time.  Forget about the long putts. The focus is not on wininng the PGA just developing a constant putting stroke with steady hands...Practicing KITE flying is important. Developing steady hands.  Learning the wind and how it effects the pull and learning to walk back and forth with the wind...  I Luv flying squares for this purpose when I practice.  keeping the kite at a steady speed up and down.  ( It is why it's a trick performed in competition)...   

Also, for Pazzas !!! get a black/white or a black, white and yellow transition tail from one of the stores.   It will help in learning to fly... Gives some definition to what one is doing in the air.

Sky writing teaches squares and turns and is FUN especially while flying with music in your headphones.  When you spin that transition tail it makes for some pretty amazing color changes..  Also if you any questions about he kite..call Jon T... he made it.

It is so nice to see Land...  Everything is not White... we had a couple days of warm weather ..melted some of the two feet of snow everywhere... Not sure when the last time we saw grass,dirt... been a rough winter here in Motown...  Can't last much long... The Wednesday Night group with Jon T starts the Wednesday after Day Light savings.  Not sure if the snow will be gone in two weeks.  There is that much... Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:39 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
tcope

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48 AM »

That Widow NG looks nice in the sky...  A great Kite for the price.. Fly that little girl doing Squares.  I like practicing squares...  Nice sharp turns and straight lines.  That kite can track real well ( I 've flown it for that purpose).. Hold the lines steady and maintain that straight line on each turn.  Fly em' till you feel comfortable doing it.

Shortly after I started to fly dual line kites I entered a few competitions. Doing that "forced" me to practive several of the approved figures required. That portion of the comp is for the flier to show that they have mastered control of the kite. I quickly found that just about anyone can zoom around the sky... and even make that zooming look good. But it's more difficult to control the kite and get it to move in a pre-determined way. Squares, figure 8s and even good circles are not as eash as they look. On top of that, competition allows the flyer to learns to even control the speed of the kite (consistant speed, up and down).

Of course, the flier needs to do what makes them happy. Some people just want to zoom around... and that is great. Just keep in mind that there is actually much more you can learn about flying. If you really want to ruin your day, practice the stair steps down move. You will quick start to hate life Smiley (and start placing orders for extra spars).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
theishkid

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 10:47 AM »

Thanks for all the input everyone!
According to the mesonet site winds in that area were around 10 - 15 with gusts of 20. On occasion and low to the ground the wind would die off for a moment. Sometimes I was definitely fighting and scared the lines were going to break and I pushed it out of the window.
I did order a Gomberg Yellow/Black tail a week ago so it's still got a couple of weeks before it will be sent out. I really can't wait to throw that thing on here!

Prism Snapshot 1.9
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:16 PM »

Nice place were you're flying

I like the green one too.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum