GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the trick you have spent lots of time on...  (Read 607 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: March 08, 2014, 02:44 PM »

and yet still not nailed it down?

For me, it is the Taz machine.  Every time when I do it, the chance of getting a good successful one is 50/50.   
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:07 PM »

The taz was very hard for me to nail.   It's easier to learn if you learn it first on a kite that gives them away and then back to kites that taz more neutrally. 

Anyhow, for me, it's the clockwise comete.  I can go counter clockwise all day, but am having trouble getting it decently the other direction.   I am still also working on left side taz, but can do it. 

Good luck!

6 kite tom
damp_weather
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:12 PM »

Multi-lazies.

There are loads of tricks I can't do, including some like the comete that I found I could do for a few weeks, and then forgot.  But the multi-lazy is something that I have been spending time on trying to master for 3 summers now, and the best I can typically do is 3 rotations before I run out of sky. - That's the one I have spent the most time on and not improved much.
...But in the meantime, as a side effect of this, got to be a dab hand at what is now called the Goff, and the lifter is looking promising.   Roll Eyes

Another trick that needs a break-through to get right is the coin-toss, in the sense of one that goes from one wing-tip on the ground to the other wing-tip on the ground.  All my coin-toss attempts turn into axel take-offs.  ...But I haven't been devoting 10s of hours trying to figure this one out, yet.

And then there is the back-spin.  Excepting with the widow-maker, all my back-spins either suffer a stall on the non-pulled wing mid rotation and fall out of the sky (a more recent failure mechanism) or turn into lateral rolls.  On and off for the past few years I have spent 10 and 20 minutes at a time here and there trying to figure this one out.  No luck so far.

Because of failing at multi-lazies and failing at back-spins, single rungs of Jacob's ladders started coming along as a side-effect.

As for the taz, that came naturally, as Tom says, from first doing it on a kite that gave them away, and then practicing with other kites.  - They were so easy for me that I didn't think to show them off when flying with other experienced kite flyers.  It was only when I claimed to be able to regularly do sets of tazes, and a senior UK forum member who had seen me really struggling with mostly multi-lazies rubbished my claim, that I learned the trouble others were having with such an "advanced trick".   - Got me a lot of heart-ache - that off-hand posting about the taz.

My late partner couldn't do an axel for 3 years.  And what was as bad, I who could do an axel from within a couple of months from us starting flying, couldn't figure out where she was going wrong.  Then one day at a festival, another flyer showed her how to axel at the edge of the window (similar to the Andy Wardley Eezy Peezy method, which we had already read all about and she had unsuccessfully tried),  and she suddenly knew how to axel. 

One thing that I quickly discovered and could do for the first two years I was flying, was a certain multi-axel tumbling onto the kite's back and front trick, which I have since learnt is called a torpille.  - It looked really neat, and I was very happy with it.  But, because I had learnt it early on, I assumed that it was easy and that it wasn't a recognized trick, and didn't practice it.  And now I couldn't do it if you gave me a day off work in which to have a go.   Sad
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:04 AM by damp_weather » Logged
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:50 AM »

Back spin took me three months of time spread over two years, maybe three. I'd try until becoming frustrated and switch to other tricks. One day the back spin just started happening regularly. A guy that used to fly here, Pug, learned the fade fairly quickly. One time I noticed his fade was set-up for the back spin; I told him when to pop the wing and showed him once; he did the back spin in about ten minutes - amazing.

One day I got frustrated trying to do a snap turtle or something like that. It resulted in a Genie Pop every time I attempted a snap turtle (didn't know Genie Pop was a trick). That was cool, but not what I was trying to accomplish. I've never been able to do a Genie Pop since. Wish I'd spent more time focusing on what was happening and learned how to repeat it.

Roll up and front flip elude me, and only 540 in light winds. Taz and Comete have only been half-heartedly attempted a few times, so that's my fault for not knowing how to do them.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Charles P

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:59 PM »

That would be the Comete and the Backspin Cascade for me, both of which I can pull off occasionally but inconsistently.
 One of these days!!!

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
SkyRags

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55 PM »

For me right now - it's the Backspin- funny thing is I can do it from a fade launch (prob 70% of the time) but not from a high fade...

My suspicion is because I allow enough slack for a fade launch whereas there's not enough when I'm in an air fade...

The other I took ages to nail was a side slide - but I eventually figured out how to do it

Practice practice

Also - I need to start practicing on my 'bad' side more - cos although I can Taz rather easy on my left side (due to the HA getting most input from my right hand) I cannot HA properly the other side

Practice practice

In my bag: Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL, KaoS Charisma
jecko

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:01 AM »

Currently crazy copter, comete cascade .
Hit and miss on the crazy copter.
Left side comete is slower than the right.
mr wojtas

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 05:08 AM »

At the moment the slotmachine right handed isn't a problem, left handed is a complete drama. Tazmachine's are a work in progress. Flapjacks are getting better Cheesy.

And just like some people here, sometimes i get a trick for a week or 2, and then just as it came it's gone... Cry
jaydub

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05 AM »

Spent two years obsessed by getting a Taz and never got the hang of them.  Left if for a year whilst concentrating on other stuff and the taz gradually came.  Still not totally reliable, except on the Veyron which just gives them away.

The moral of the story is don't get too hung up by a single trick.

Now trying to stop the wap-do-wap becoming my next obsession. Wink
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45 PM »

Getting a nice, slow, flat, axel or 540 out of many a modern, standard weight, kite.  Cheesy

It's a waste of time, but I always seem to be trying to make water from wine.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
bt
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 05:04 PM »

Getting a nice, slow, flat, axel or 540 out of many a modern, standard weight, kite.  Cheesy

It's a waste of time, but I always seem to be trying to make water from wine.  Smiley

+1!!!!!

Crashing....very very gently......is another.....doesn't matter new or old school....
bt
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:09 PM by bt » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16 AM »

I'd have to say that the back spin is one that I've tried over and over without any luck. They always turn into barrel rolls and I know it's because I don't give enough slack. A lot of the other stuff its hit or miss but some stuff like the taz machine and the comete I haven't even tried.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document