GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 11:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really no color  (Read 4558 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: March 08, 2014, 04:01 PM »

The build in my avatar has 11 colors of Icarex.  This one a bit less colors and not much Icarex either.  Wink

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:44 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:04 PM »

SCcchhhhhhwwwwwhhheeeeettttttt!

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:53 PM »

WOW I love your Monster Steve  Smiley Cool Cool

Cheers
Mario

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:18 PM »

Nice! You are on a roll, my friend!

Allen, AKA kitehead
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 07:12 PM »

Nice!  I'm going to be interested to hear your impression on how it handles.  You are on a roll
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 07:22 PM »

excellent!  Did you use and ultralight frame (what specs?) 
stapp59

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:01 PM »

Standard kite.  Dacron LE tunnels with the Mylar panels.  P300 spine, P2X LEs, 5PT spreaders.  Just tied the bridle, added 25 grams tail weight (may be too much), stoppers, and vinyl end caps.  RTF it comes in at 10.2 oz.  Very similar to the Exile in weight and overall size.

Looking forward to flying it.  I like to overall shape and layout and have been looking for a nice French trickster to compliment the Exile fleet.  If this is it, there will be a 3PT UL in the future.

With DST and temp pushing the 30s I'll likely slow the building and spend more time outside flying. Yea!

excellent!  Did you use and ultralight frame (what specs?) 

Steve in Indiana

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 08:08 PM »

This is very stunning - nice work!  I love the stained-glass look.  It reminds me of some of the classy looking Vapors that I've seen - very elegant.

6 kite tom
stapp59

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 08:18 PM »

Thank you very much!  Always wanted to do a Mylar paneled sail and since JonT had the light TriSpi, why not?  Should be quite interesting in the sun.  Also curious how it will wear.  One caution with the light Mylar, if you stress it too much, it will stretch out of shape and stay that way.  Looks cool though  Cool

This is very stunning - nice work!  I love the stained-glass look.  It reminds me of some of the classy looking Vapors that I've seen - very elegant.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:39 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

mr wojtas
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11 AM »

Sweet looking kite!!!

It takes the 'ghost'theme to the next level!!!
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

Re:
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:01 AM »

Sweet!

Coop
stapp59

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 03:05 PM »

So we are all clear about the color  Cheesy

Will post some first impressions after a couple more sessions.  In short I do like the kite...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:40 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30 PM »

You are killing me softly.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 01:00 AM »

Very VERY nice!!!

stapp59

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:33 AM »

First impressions:

So after three sessions the Monster is shaping up to be the kind of kite I'd hoped it would be; something between the Exile and an all out TP design like the SF/Talon. Similar in size to the 7 1/2' Exile, the Monster scores well as nicely behaved, wind efficient, trick capable, polyvalent kite that should appeal to a broad group of flyers. 

2D - It spins tightly around the lower spreader connector, tracks well, figures are nice, corners cleanly with proper attention.  With 25gr of tail weight the bridle is set just outside of the point of oversteer. Groundwork is there, window size appropriate. Nice overall.

Wind efficiency - The Monster is better here than my all out trick monsters.  It flies in the lower wind range and handles lulls well.  It tells you if the winds are bumpy but doesn't get all hissy about it.  The sail will load up fairly quickly as the winds pick up and I found I wanted to shorten the uphaul 1/2" to bleed off the pressure with the winds in the lower/mid teens. Make sure your uphaul is adjustable.  I added a leech line though the sail still buzzes quite a bit under load.  Forward speed picks up some with the wind but the kite is not prone to accelerate.  A good compromise for a variety of winds.

3D - This is a Derefat kite  Smiley The Monster feels well balanced, behaved, and forgiving.  Fades and backflips are solid. Rolls up easily. ABTs are all there.  Small hand movements are fine. After 20 minutes I was having fun flipping the kite around rather than learning how to fly it. For Allen I saw several moves that looked suspiciously like an axel  Cheesy  Tips almost level and rotation speed controllable. It makes me look a better flyer than I am.  I like that in a kite!  Would like to hear impressions from others.

Overall, the kite felt well designed and trimmed right from the start.  For someone who likes to tinker, the only thing I wanted to touch was the uphaul in higher winds. I like it enough that the panels for the UL are already cut and sail taped. Home builders are fortunate to have plans like these available. Thanks Christian.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:50 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change