GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 08:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Six Sense  (Read 1947 times)
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: March 08, 2014, 05:32 PM »

It needs the bridle and it'll be ready for the first flight soon after the rain stops  Tongue 

Many thanks to all the Six Sense builders in the forum, especially to Steve Tapp for all the tips and advice  Smiley

Cheers
Mario

stapp59

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:40 PM »

Another nice kite!  Good colors Smiley

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
mr wojtas
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12 AM »

Nice one, Welcome to the family  Wink
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17 AM »

I like the alternate colour TE, real nice build. 
mdilucca

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:02 PM »

Here is my first two hrs flying report about this kite  Smiley

Total weight 10.5 oz. (311gr) including the 23 gr tail ballast
Nitro frame and bridle as plan specs
90’ lines on 7 to 10 mph/winds

I liked so far:
It’s a big kite with a beautiful presence in the sky
Axel tricks are very nice a flat, especially taz and 540
Cometes are very easy and fast
Jacobs are very doable, but they need some careful tending
Slow and predictable

However:
Spinning circles on one wing are very wide
Not a trick monster, but I can get used to it
Yoyo’s are doable, but they require a good timing and momentum
Precision is good, but it has some over steering for my taste
Trailing edge noisy, but it probably needs some more leech tension

Questions to the Sixth Sense builders in the forum:
Does everybody attach the uphauls bridle above the upper spreader connectors?
Does anybody try a turbo bridle?
Does anybody modified the bridle specs to reduce over steering to increase precision

Overall, I like it a lot, but it requires some familiarization with as with any other kite  Smiley Wink

Cheers
Mario

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 04:28 PM »

Mario,

I had a similar experience and made a few tweaks that made the kite work much better for me, although many love it stock. 

I will have to measure and post, which I'll do later tonight.  I've been wondering what sorts of tweaks others have been trying out as well. 

In the end, I really like the kite now.  As you noticed, the JL takes a bit more tending it him due to the large sail size - it just takes longer to rotate and flip!  Smiley

The low wind range is quite good - the large sail really works there.

6 kite tom
stapp59

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:22 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm currently flying my SS pair with stock settings as published.  I agree the SS is a full sized slower even paced kite and would almost describe it as a team kite that tricks.

Am not sure about the oversteer Mario as I don't feel that with mine.  Of course I've been messing around with the Psycho and oversteer is relative  Cheesy  Likewise the center of the spin radius should be somewhere around the LLE fitting which is tighter than the N was for me.  You can always go out with the tow points to improve precision but that will impact the spin also.

You have the longer standoff on the inside?  I've done things like that before  Roll Eyes

As you know I tied the bridle to the outside of all the fittings (US, LS, and T).  The uphaul is adjustable but the stock settings seem to be a good spot.

Am very interested in any tweaks folks find helpful.  I've learned that proper trim settings can make or break an otherwise fine kite.  As little as 1/4" can make a difference.

7.5' kites like the Exile and Monster work best for me - a good combination of sky presence, agility, and enough sail to be efficient flyers.  The other kites like the SF, Psycho, and SS fill in around the edges as conditions and mood warrant.

All that said, I'm still getting to know the SS.  It's a little different handling than what I'm used to.

Steve in Indiana
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:16 PM »

Here are the dimensions of mine - measure on the kite from knot center to knot center for the bridle and from where the bridle meets the spar.   APAs are measured from the nose against the wall to the center of the APA fitting.

As near as I can recall, I moved the upper connectors up perhaps 1 cm and the lowers slightly as well based on empirical flying.  I don't recall if I did anything to the bridle or not. 

Anyhow, so far, for me, this is the best flying SS that I've ever flown!  Smiley. I would be interested to try a turbo bridle on it - I wasn't aware that there were details for one.

Good luck!

6 kite tom
mdilucca

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00 PM »

Thank you Tom, I'll give them a try and let you know.

Cheers
Mario

mr wojtas

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 05:16 AM »

Here are the dimensions of mine - measure on the kite from knot center to knot center for the bridle and from where the bridle meets the spar.   APAs are measured from the nose against the wall to the center of the APA fitting.

As near as I can recall, I moved the upper connectors up perhaps 1 cm and the lowers slightly as well based on empirical flying.  I don't recall if I did anything to the bridle or not. 

Anyhow, so far, for me, this is the best flying SS that I've ever flown!  Smiley. I would be interested to try a turbo bridle on it - I wasn't aware that there were details for one.

Good luck!

Smart thinking Tom, meassuring with the nose against the wall,

Funny to see that my ss's all have the upper outhoule 0,5 cm lowered for more drive and easyer pitch control
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 08:50 AM »

I'll try that as well.  The kite has an astounding wind range - very low and also remains well mannered when it picks up. 

It's funny how the uphaul can affect kites differently.  I have several where I can move the nose setting 3 inches with the primary difference only being pull.  Others - 2 cm and the whole thing falls apart.   This kite seems very flexible to a wide variety if settings. 

6 kite tom
mr wojtas

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19 PM »

and because it's so flexible i am testing a vented version...

hopefully i can get it to fly...
tpatter

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 08:41 PM »

That one looks like it can take some serious winds!  Smiley

Is that variable vent duck tape I see?  Very creative. 

I had a kite with variable vents at one time, seemed to work fine.

6 kite tom
stapp59

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 01:55 AM »

Hey Tom, just pulled my SS out of the bag and measured. 

- Both of our LSs are within a MM. Pretty much per plans.
- Yes you did move the US connector up 1 cm.  That's quite a bit and would effectively lengthen the US.  When you assemble your kite does the US pull in the leading edges at all or just match the natural curve?
- Your inhaul is stock, outhaul is .5 cm shorter, and uphaul a full 1 cm shorter than plans.

It just occurred to me that shortening the uphaul AND moving the US connector up will effectively shorten the uphaul even further.

The effective longer US and tow point moved up should give you more lift in lower winds. Is that your observation?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:18 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
stapp59

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 03:27 AM »

Looks familiar  Cheesy

Have you tried covering the vent still open above the tape?  I found venting that far up towards the nose tends to kill the fade.  The lower opening looks pretty good if positioned properly.

and because it's so flexible i am testing a vented version...

hopefully i can get it to fly...

Steve in Indiana
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document