GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 02:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Six Sense  (Read 2401 times)
mr wojtas
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44 AM »

That one looks like it can take some serious winds!  Smiley

Is that variable vent duck tape I see?  Very creative. 

I had a kite with variable vents at one time, seemed to work fine.

The ductape is only temperally, here is some imspriation:
http://www.stuntkite.de/hugo-bill-king/#more-1614
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22 AM »

Hey Tom, just pulled my SS out of the bag and measured. 

- Both of our LSs are within a MM. Pretty much per plans.
- Yes you did move the US connector up 1 cm.  That's quite a bit and would effectively lengthen the US.  When you assemble your kite does the US pull in the leading edges at all or just match the natural curve?
- Your inhaul is stock, outhaul is .5 cm shorter, and uphaul a full 1 cm shorter than plans.

It just occurred to me that shortening the uphaul AND moving the US connector up will effectively shorten the uphaul even further.

The effective longer US and tow point moved up should give you more lift in lower winds. Is that your observation?

As near as I can recall, I moved the upper connectors up perhaps 1 cm and the lowers slightly as well based on empirical flying.  I don't recall if I did anything to the bridle or not. 

My US does slightly pull in the LEs, but nothing like what I have typically seen on this kite. 

Your observation about that change in addition to the up haul delta makes sense to me - it could be why it flys in such low winds and with excellent drive.  I've also noticed no oversteer mentioned by others.   On other kites I have noticed that bringing the nose further in reduces that tendency. 

It would probably be best to make that leg of the bridle adjustable - mine is fixed. 

It yoyos and Tazs great - I'm nit sure what other advantage would be to pulling in the LEs with the upper spreader.  From what you have described, I have really only pulled the nose forward some - an easy change to make.  Smiley

6 kite tom
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:30 AM »

That one looks like it can take some serious winds!  Smiley

Is that variable vent duck tape I see?  Very creative. 

I had a kite with variable vents at one time, seemed to work fine.

The ductape is only temperally, here is some imspriation:
http://www.stuntkite.de/hugo-bill-king/#more-1614

Good idea - determine where the venting works best. 

6 kite tom
mr wojtas

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 01:08 PM »

What i've found out at this point is that by placing tape one the nose the kite gets more pull, trickabilaty ca drive. So at this point i am trying to find out how low i can  go. All i need is a stable 4 bft Cheesy
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 03:44 AM »

Without moving the connectors and if my SS had 1" longer upper spreader and 3/4" shorter uphaul, we'd have pretty much the same setup.

Mario might like those settings.  I'm still tinkering but will likely stay mostly stock per plans.

Adjustable uphauls are a good thing.  Smiley

My US does slightly pull in the LEs, but nothing like what I have typically seen on this kite. 

Your observation about that change in addition to the up haul delta makes sense to me - it could be why it flys in such low winds and with excellent drive.  I've also noticed no oversteer mentioned by others.   On other kites I have noticed that bringing the nose further in reduces that tendency. 

It would probably be best to make that leg of the bridle adjustable - mine is fixed. 

It yoyos and Tazs great - I'm nit sure what other advantage would be to pulling in the LEs with the upper spreader.  From what you have described, I have really only pulled the nose forward some - an easy change to make.  Smiley

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
stapp59

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 03:48 AM »

Finding the best vent configuration that relieves sail pressure, keeps the overall kite feel, and doesn't destroy tricking ability is all the fun.  Smiley

What i've found out at this point is that by placing tape one the nose the kite gets more pull, trickabilaty ca drive. So at this point i am trying to find out how low i can  go. All i need is a stable 4 bft Cheesy

Steve in Indiana

mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55 AM »

I checked the connector locations and they were as the specs measuring from the Steve's modified round nose to the base of the connectors (36.4 and 100.4).  Then I shortened to 50 cm the uphauls and I discovered that the right uphaul was 1 cm shorter than the left one from the original setting Cry. That explained why I had some over steering on my first fligth.
Does anybody notice some possible sleepege on the lark heads knots?

Next, I'll do a second testing with the 50, 50.5 and 64 cm bridle settings and 54.5 upper spreader this weekend and report back.

Cheers
Mario

mr wojtas

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 11:18 AM »

Finding the best vent configuration that relieves sail pressure, keeps the overall kite feel, and doesn't destroy tricking ability is all the fun.  Smiley

Jep, that all the fun and frustration Grin
stapp59

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 02:58 AM »

Mario, the shape of the nose reinforcement will not affect the frame dimensions as the nose shape remains true to plans.  The spine is 1/4" shorter due to the sewing pattern - which helps the nose fold up cleanly.

Knots can slip if not tight before flying.  Give all the knots a good pull or two before flying to set them.  An adjustable uphaul, ruler, and notepad at the field will aid your testing.

Have fun!

I checked the connector locations and they were as the specs measuring from the Steve's modified round nose to the base of the connectors (36.4 and 100.4).  Then I shortened to 50 cm the uphauls and I discovered that the right uphaul was 1 cm shorter than the left one from the original setting Cry. That explained why I had some over steering on my first fligth.
Does anybody notice some possible sleepege on the lark heads knots?

Next, I'll do a second testing with the 50, 50.5 and 64 cm bridle settings and 54.5 upper spreader this weekend and report back.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:27 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

mdilucca

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44 PM »

I did more testing this weekend with the original stock specs and I must say that the SS really impressed me so far.  Probably the combination of the right settings and getting used to the feel of the kite are the main reasons.  It requires larger inputs and timing compared to smaller 3/4 size kites and it needs sometime to start connecting with.  As soon as this connection started I began to enjoy this superb and well designed kite  Tongue Smiley I can't wait to fly it again soon  Roll Eyes

Cheers
Mario

mr wojtas

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32 PM »

I did more testing this weekend with the original stock specs and I must say that the SS really impressed me so far.  Probably the combination of the right settings and getting used to the feel of the kite are the main reasons.  It requires larger inputs and timing compared to smaller 3/4 size kites and it needs sometime to start connecting with.  As soon as this connection started I began to enjoy this superb and well designed kite  Tongue Smiley I can't wait to fly it again soon  Roll Eyes

Where's the 'like'button??
mdilucca

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 09:08 PM »

I flew the std SS today in 4 to 5 mph winds and I totally loved the feel of this kite in lower winds  Tongue Roll Eyes  Shocked I have the best and super easier tazs,  cometes and axels that I've ever experimented in any kite. A SUL is next on my building list  Tongue 

Cheers
Mario

stapp59

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54 AM »

I'd say your project has been a success!  Are your settings now stock per plans?  Consider the Nitro Lites if going for a UL.  Those long LEs will benefit with the stiffer tubes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:56 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

mdilucca

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15 PM »

Here is an update on this kite.   Now I'm using 120 feet lines and I shortened the inhaul by 1 cm to 63 cm and the result was very possitive.  Now the kite has a smaller turning radius producing tigther turns and improved rotational tricks and precision as well.  This small adjustemnt reafirmed the capabilities of this kite and I'm ready to start building a complete set ASAP  Smiley Roll Eyes

I'd appreciate any advice on the SUL, UL and Vented specs  Grin

Cheers
Mario

mr wojtas

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 03:24 PM »

Here's a Sixth Sense SUL thread
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10704.0

still working on a good vented version...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change