GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok....I'm browsing for a good UL/SUL  (Read 2485 times)
SkyRags
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 09, 2014, 09:59 PM »

I fly the Superfly mostly as my STD and my Talon UL when it drops to about 8km

But I need a good kite to fly under 6km

I have my eye on one type...but what does everyone else reccomend?

Preferably something other than a SF UL or another Talon

I should also mention I would like a decent range of tricks to be able to be performed on it
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:07 PM by SkyRags » Logged

In my bag: Benson SuperFly, Jest of Eve Talon UL, KaoS Charisma
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:01 PM »

My 2 favorites are the ATM and Transformer SULs.  Super tricky SULs which would fit in nicely as with what you are used to flying.

Folks also seem to be liking the SF UL.

Good luck

6 kite tom
SkyRags

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:09 AM »

My 2 favorites are the ATM and Transformer SULs.  Super tricky SULs which would fit in nicely as with what you are used to flying.

Folks also seem to be liking the SF UL.

Good luck

How low can they go? Smiley

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:13 PM »

How low can they go? They can lawn dart 2" in loose sand.  Embarrassed (been there, done that)

In general, you can fly SULs in zero wind if you want to work at it. It takes about 1/2 to 1 mph to fly them without a lot of foot work and do axel type moves. By 2 mph fades, backspins, and combos like Jacobs ladder can be done without a lot of work. Finesse skills lower your effective wind range - step back and pull when flying up and in center of window, step forward and push when flying down and at edge of window.

SULs start to get over-powered around 4 or 5 mph. That's time to pull out a UL, unless the wind is variable and it goes back down towards zero frequently.

Hope that helps.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
SkyRags

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 12:41 PM »

How low can they go? They can lawn dart 2" in loose sand.  Embarrassed (been there, done that)

In general, you can fly SULs in zero wind if you want to work at it. It takes about 1/2 to 1 mph to fly them without a lot of foot work and do axel type moves. By 2 mph fades, backspins, and combos like Jacobs ladder can be done without a lot of work. Finesse skills lower your effective wind range - step back and pull when flying up and in center of window, step forward and push when flying down and at edge of window.

SULs start to get over-powered around 4 or 5 mph. That's time to pull out a UL, unless the wind is variable and it goes back down towards zero frequently.

Hope that helps.

It does thanks Smiley I will add an ATM SUL to my shopping list - plus the price for a brand new one is very good compared to other high spec SUL's out there...

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:05 PM »

I am considering an ATM SUL, too. The main thing holding me back is the wind range 3-16 mph. In my opinion that's a UL range rather than a SUL range 1-8 mph.

A review I read by Tom Patterson says it has all the tricks I want, except for a stable fade without much tending. For now, I'm waiting to see the second generation tweaks, since I have other SUL and UL options in the bag to cover those wind ranges, including Sea Devils.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 06:17 PM »

I haven't flown the Transformer or ATM, but I will say that my Sea Devil SUL (new generation) is an amazing trick based light wind kite. It out-performs my Fearless SUL when the winds get around 1mph. Worth a look...

trigger

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 06:38 PM »

I love my ATM UL. I havent tried the SUL but mine goes to about 3mph and holds steady in 12ish just fine.  Lam really suggests the SUL for inland. I am no pro, but i am very pleased at how well it tracks too!   

My Ocius SUL will take off in a birds sneeze from 2 blocks away! Tricking is very different though because there is no mass to it so you PERSUADE it a bit more.  It is also very stable in 8ish+ and tracks well. y want to check out the Aura too.

good luck
SkyRags

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:27 PM »

It seems there are a LOT of SULs that fly only 3mph at their lowest...

Which is about 6km I guess...

Sounds like the Sea Devil can get lower though and are there any others that can hit a lower range and still trick well? Pro-Dancer I guess too

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44 PM »

Skyrags,

In all honestly, unless you get down to the very untricky SULs (ProDancer SUL), most sport kites will require smooth winds, foot motion, noticeable arm waving and 50# lines to fly below 3 mph.

3 mph is about 4.5 ft/ sec, a moderately quick walk is about 3 mph. Next time you are walking near that speed, see how much apparent wind you feel on your face. It is not much.

Remember tricks are about knocking the pressure off the sail, which is the very opposite of what an SUL needs to do to fly in such low winds.

People who have kites which fly from the wind of a bird sneeze at 2 blocks away are probably pretty good fliers or perhaps prone to stretching the truth a bit.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
SkyRags

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40 PM »

Skyrags,

In all honestly, unless you get down to the very untricky SULs (ProDancer SUL), most sport kites will require smooth winds, foot motion, noticeable arm waving and 50# lines to fly below 3 mph.

3 mph is about 4.5 ft/ sec, a moderately quick walk is about 3 mph. Next time you are walking near that speed, see how much apparent wind you feel on your face. It is not much.

Remember tricks are about knocking the pressure off the sail, which is the very opposite of what an SUL needs to do to fly in such low winds.

People who have kites which fly from the wind of a bird sneeze at 2 blocks away are probably pretty good fliers or perhaps prone to stretching the truth a bit.  Smiley

I'll definitely take your advice there John - I did kinda think the difference between a SUL and a UL would be degrees...

It's good to hear realistic opinions on what's actually achieveable Smiley

I think I'm really just after a kite that flies just lower than my Talon UL

Today I was trying to fly it in about 3-5km of wind and had to REALLY work it to axel and 540

I'm told that the Talon UL isn't a true UL - more of a light STD - and even the Deep Space UL flies lower - so yeah, it gets a little confusing to an intermediate pilot like myself Smiley

SparkieRob

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42 AM »

Just throwing this one in there.

Kite Related Design's FURY SUL
0-12mph. 250cm wingspan.
240gram kite: framed in 2P/3PT/2PX
230gram kite: framed in Aerostuff Zen/P2X

Team kite of the Scratch Bunnies and the child of Carl Robertshaw. The UL has a range of 3-12mph. This is one of my most desirable kites, even above Revs! Just something about it. Pricey though. But custom colours and an award winning pedigree. Not everyone's cup of tea but I hope to be good enough to "earn" one.

Edit: Literally in the last 10 minutes I found out that KRD is no longer! Pretty bummed at that. Apparently Carl was to be still producing the Fury but not very sure.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 09:35 AM »

I have a Transformer SSUL, in mint condition for sale

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201739255822348&set=pcb.459041490885846&type=1&theater

"Do what you like"
SkyRags

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57 AM »

Yeah I saw that....but um, is the price correct on that?

harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:06 PM »

Skyrags,

I'll definitely take your advice there John - I did kinda think the difference between a SUL and a UL would be degrees...

It's good to hear realistic opinions on what's actually achieveable Smiley

I think I'm really just after a kite that flies just lower than my Talon UL

Today I was trying to fly it in about 3-5km of wind and had to REALLY work it to axel and 540

I'm told that the Talon UL isn't a true UL - more of a light STD - and even the Deep Space UL flies lower - so yeah, it gets a little confusing to an intermediate pilot like myself Smiley

That's nonsense, the talon is a true ul it's just that the ds ul is it's most natural comparison and that flies nearly like an sul.

You need to decide whether you want a true no wind kite or something that is a touch more weighty that has a higher aspect ratio and more trickable. You also can't break the laws of physics and you will need to move a bit.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:09 PM by harveystubbs » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document