GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hq shadow or skyburner widow maker ?  (Read 2004 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 16, 2014, 10:47 PM »

hi all,
i live in land country side and area is hilly and winds are un ruly but i fly on the flats around the area.

infact the lack of winds at times really sh1ts me! Angry

i want a kite that i can pull out at any time to fly wind or no wind!

been lurking around here lately and have come up with 2 kite choices.
the hq shadow or the skyburner window maker !

thinking of going a standard frame over a ultra lite.
so out of the 2 kites mentioned above which would be the better all round kite and be able to keep it in the air the longest with little ease ?

which is the faster of the 2 kites and may be more precise please ?

is there much difference in build quality between the 2 ?

im not really into tricks but more free style flying of cruising around the wind window!

r.e color scheme,i like the idea with the skyburner widow you can customise your colors of the sail and was thinking of ordering a all black color with 2 orange panels on each side,how would  that look in the sky ?

thanks in advance fellas,much appreciated and look forward to your replies. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:56 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:53 PM »

neither of those kites will fly in no wind and be any fun.

so out of the 2 kites mentioned above which would be the better all round kite and be able to keep it in the air the longest with little ease ?
the shadow is only sold as a UL. WM is the better all around kite, but the shadow requires less wind. where you put "and" should really be "or". one negates the other.

the widow maker is faster and more precise (when there's wind).

the shadow and UL WM are both more fragile than a standard WM. the shadow is well built, especially for the price, but being more expensive, the WM has some slightly better materials used and sail construction is impeccable.

im not really into tricks but more free style flying of cruising around the wind window!
the (standard) WM is a great all around kite, while the shadow excels in low wind.

both a custom widow maker ultralight and an hq shadow have a home in my kite bag, but when there's less than 3mph wind, its single line glider kites which come out and the dualies stay in the bag.

Fdeli
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:05 AM »

Yeah, that much pretty much says it. For low wind you'll need a UL. It's more fragile than a standard but not as  fragile as a SUL but it WILL fly lower. Of your two choices the Widow Maker UL is probably the best bet when the wind is light but you have to still be able to feel it at the back of your neck. If you can't feel it, you probably can't fly. I seem to remember reading that the Shadow is a decent kite but it flies more like a light standard than a UL.

The Widow Maker UL might be a bit of overkill if you don't intend to trick. But if you think you might want to go in that direction it's a super kite. I flew a Prism Flashlight for years  before I finally figured out how to axel. After that I decided I needed more. The good thing about the Flashlight is that leading edges were easy to get and cheap after I broke them learning to cartwheel.

Bob D.
kite_pilot

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:13 AM »

hi guys
thanks for the info/replies!.
so what length lines will i need to use,60 ft may be ?
r.e color schemes,how do you think the mostly black would look with some orange ?
thanks  Wink

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41 AM »

hi all,
i live in land country side and area is hilly and winds are un ruly but i fly on the flats around the area.

infact the lack of winds at times really sh1ts me! Angry

r.e color scheme,i like the idea with the skyburner widow you can customise your colors of the sail and was thinking of ordering a all black color with 2 orange panels on each side,how would  that look in the sky ?

thanks in advance fellas,much appreciated and look forward to your replies. Smiley

Wait, what?
First off, like the others have said these two kites are absolutely nothing alike. The Shadow is a UL and if you order a WMUL you're going to get 2 completely different animals. The WM is more designed towards accessibility and flight characteristics with a few tricks built in. You won't be rolling this thing up in one pop if you start to trick. The shadow is more tricky, but it will be heavier than the WMUL. If you want a kite to fly lower then get the WMUL but its more pricy and all that jazz, but I'm sure you've looked into that. However it is a fantastic kite that will stay with you for years. Out of the two, the WM will fly lower and is more precise. The bigger the kite, the more sail area to catch wind. Its also framed lighter too and has wrapped carbon tubes.

However if you're looking for a kite to fly in 'no wind' you're absolutely not going to be going with a standard kite. UL is the way to go, but if you're serious when you said NO wind then an SUL is the way to go. If that is the case I would steer you in the path of an Ocius SUL or an Aura 4oz. If you like smaller kites and less expensive prices, a 4d would also be something to look into. If you don't like to trick, then a PDSUL is fantastic.

Happy flying and good luck in your decisions. Smiley Smooth winds.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:46 AM »

You don't say where you live or what region. It can make a difference. You have to take into account the colder months where wind patterns change, unless you plan on buying more kites. It's like golf. There are many different clubs to choose from depending on the conditions, so you want to find something that will be the most versatile to start while being capable and sturdy.

Most kites come with 75'-80' to start. The WM doesn't come with lines and straps. You'll have to buy them or make your own.

As far as looks, that's entirely up to you. Go to the Skyburner page and play with the colorizer for the WM. The only person that matters is you, unless you plan on selling it later. WM's tend to stay with their owners because they're so good.

Another thing to keep in mind is repairs. Since you appear to be starting out your learning curve will be steep. It will taper off, but you are invariably going to need some replacement parts and accessibility is a concern. Skyburner is a small US company with impeccable service. HQ is international, but they do have a US office for service.

UL's tend to be a little more brittle, but that's because they shed weight at the cost of strength. Most fliers can tell you their own crash stories.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:54 AM by Tmadz » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:20 AM »

I've flown both of these and, while I would probably prefer the Shadow, I don't think most people would.

The Shadow takes a bit of getting used to - it's smaller input and downright quirky when compared to something like the WM UL.  I'd say its more of an intermediate to advanced level flyer kite for someone looking for something a bit different.

Most flyers could pick up the lines on the WM and just fly with no what-just-happened moments.   Also, the WM standard flys pretty low already and would likely be much stronger than the UL.   Also, WM has standard sticks (UL and STD) which are easily replaced and just seems a better overall investment to me.  The Shadow will be more difficult to repair and is just more fragile all-around.

Good luck.

6 kite tom
kite_pilot

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:00 PM »

hi guys
im located in Australia,sth east subs of melbourne ,Endeavour hills victoria state.
im thinking of now buying a all black with some orange widow maker standard model and give that a try and then if not much good buy the ul widow maker!
might buy some 60 and 80 feet lines as well!
cheers  Smiley

SparkieRob

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 01:13 AM »

hi guys
im located in Australia,sth east subs of melbourne ,Endeavour hills victoria state.
im thinking of now buying a all black with some orange widow maker standard model and give that a try and then if not much good buy the ul widow maker!
might buy some 60 and 80 feet lines as well!
cheers  Smiley
There are some awesome freestylists that fly at Moran Park (St Kilda?) that would accelerate the learning. And great advice too.

Edit: Sorry, it's Moran Reserve and it is in St Kilda.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
kite_pilot

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:50 PM »

hi rob,
yes i know about about moran park thanks,but i have not been there before but should make the trip some time!!
cheers
glen

SparkieRob

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34 PM »

hi rob,
yes i know about about moran park thanks,but i have not been there before but should make the trip some time!!
cheers
glen
One of the guys, Adrian Bickerstaffe, is a dead set gun!

If you ever get across to Perth, give me a shout.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
kite_pilot

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45 PM »

yeah no worries rob,thanks mate!
glen

Captainbob

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 04:43 AM »

Best low wind kite I have seen is the Pro Dancer.
Extreme Low Wind Flying...

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
kite_pilot

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26 PM »

hi mate,
thanks for the tip on the pro dancer!
will look into it as well as get the widow maker.
just had a look @ the pro dancer,it has a weird shape sail which looks cool!
so it can fly up to 10 mph winds it says ?
does it trick,track quite well ?
would you say it is well made and strong ?
cheers
glen
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:03 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 12:15 AM »

The Prodancer is not really a trick kite. Some people can get it to trick, but for the life of me, I can only get an axel out of mine. The PD will fly in no wind conditions, but once you can start to feel the wind on the back of your neck, it's time to switch to a heavier kite. It is also framed in very light weight spars, and can't take much abuse.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change