GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hq shadow or skyburner widow maker ?  (Read 1763 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32 AM »

Originally you said you wanted a kite that would fly in any wind ( or none) and you weren't too bothered about tricks.

Finding one kite that will fly in any wind say 0-20mph isn't really going to happen - it's like asking for a car that has supercar performance and handling, is good off road, lots of room for kids and luggage and cheap on fuel and insurance!

You need to find out what sort of wind range you are really looking at.

A kite that will fly in zero wind is going to be ( generally) fragile, expensive and will need putting away after about 5mph.

The Shadow is fairly tough for what it is, but it does need a little wind to fly. Realistically you are looking at 2-8mph but it is reasonably cheap and flies well.

A 'standard' kite will fly from around 5mph to around 20mph ( that is flying not tricking), an Ultralite from 3/4mph - 12/15mph.

The Prism 4D 'in theory' will fly from 0-15mph - it will certainly do zero, but I'm not sure how pleasent it would be to fly at 15mph as it's getting pretty fast and twitchy at 6mph! but it has a very flexible frame so it would be hard to break and it packs down very small so handy to take out anywhere. I'm not sure I'd really recommend it on it's own though.

Maybe something like the 4D for low wind and a standard for the rest?

Probably the best thing if you can would be to talk to other fliers in your area and see what they use.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 03:43 AM »

hi all,
i live in land country side and area is hilly and winds are un ruly but i fly on the flats around the area.

infact the lack of winds at times really sh1ts me! Angry

i want a kite that i can pull out at any time to fly wind or no wind!

been lurking around here lately and have come up with 2 kite choices.
the hq shadow or the skyburner window maker !

thinking of going a standard frame over a ultra lite.
so out of the 2 kites mentioned above which would be the better all round kite and be able to keep it in the air the longest with little ease ?

which is the faster of the 2 kites and may be more precise please ?

is there much difference in build quality between the 2 ?

im not really into tricks but more free style flying of cruising around the wind window!

r.e color scheme,i like the idea with the skyburner widow you can customise your colors of the sail and was thinking of ordering a all black color with 2 orange panels on each side,how would  that look in the sky ?

thanks in advance fellas,much appreciated and look forward to your replies. Smiley

The wm is a great all rounder for light/ medium winds. I wouldn't go for the shadow.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:24 AM by harveystubbs » Logged
kite_pilot

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 04:13 PM »

what does "am" stand for mate ?

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
jaydub

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21 AM »

I think it's a typo and "am" is meant to be "wm".
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 02:25 AM »

I think it's a typo and "am" is meant to be "wm".

Sorry ... Amended
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 03:56 AM »

oh but if you can find a peter betancourt AM1 it is a top notch SUL sport kite!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kite_pilot

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 12:22 AM »

ok thanks guys! Smiley

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10 PM »

I've only flown the Widowmaker UL once, but was mightly impressed.

Very balanced betwen flying and tricking.

Terrific low end, although by no means Zero wind-capable unless you train like a decathlete.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document