GWTW Forum
December 13, 2018, 08:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L'Atelier Question...  (Read 648 times)
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+32)

« on: October 25, 2018, 08:32 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has experienced flying L'Atelier kites to which you can comment on the different flight characteristics of several different ones?
I'm mainly interested in knowing which one would fly and somewhat trick in SUL winds?
I didn't find much info here when I searched.
Thanks

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:11 AM »

I have the xt.r UL. I don't think it would really fall into the SUL category. It's got nice mass so that it WILL trick in lighter wind but it's going to be a chore in less than 4 - 6 mph (in my not so experienced hands.) I particularly like the flic flacs; they're nice and slow. I'm not a great SUL flyer.  There's a fair amount of people here who can trick just about any kite the lay their hands on and who fly a lot more and have a whole lot more experience. If you're more like me than them, just know that the UL WILL fly in lighter wind but not when you can't feel it on the back of your neck.

I have a few SULs that I'm not that capable of tricking: the Nirvana WW and the Prism 3D. Their mass is so low that they don't respond to inputs the way a heavier kite might (like a UL or a standard). The SULs need to be coaxed (so I'm told) and not snapped like I'm used to doing. It's supposed to be a different way of flying which is frustrating to me and something I haven't worked at.

So if you like the abilities (and the panel layout) of the xt.r, the UL is a great kite but it's not a SUL.

Bob D.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:15 AM »

Atelier makes small SUL kites, the Lynx Feather and Double Zero are both very capable SULs but are intended for shortish lines. There might have been a Lynx Feather sold on GWTW since I've been a member, but I can't remember it. Double Zero's do come up occasionally.

-Frazer
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:29 AM »

I have a vented, std and UL Lithium.

AFAIK, they did not make an SUL Lithium.

While the kites will trick, they are not trick monsters.

They are more of the old school spin type tricks with

good pull and serious precision.

Here is my UL.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:32 AM by chilese » Logged

Michel
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:15 AM »

[...] AFAIK, they did not make an SUL Lithium.

That's right, John. Only UL - STD - VTD and a semi-UL too for Tame Bird Team.

Atelier makes small SUL kites, the Lynx Feather and Double Zero are both very capable SULs but are intended for shortish lines. There might have been a Lynx Feather sold on GWTW since I've been a member, but I can't remember it. Double Zero's do come up occasionally.

and the Cesium continental too, one of the best Atelier SUL kite.

Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:02 PM »

I still have a Cesium I'm very fond of, and they make/made an UL version of it called a Cesium Continental. The standard flies pretty well in 4-6 minimum, and tricks like mad in 8, so I'd imagine the Continental would be pretty sweet.  It's what I call a 3/4 sized kite, at around 6 ft in span.
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 11:02 PM »

Thanks for that guys. Great info  Wink

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom