GWTW Forum
September 25, 2018, 02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: straight or curved leading edge design  (Read 8219 times)
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:52 AM »

Curved has advantages too; with more sail low don you get lovely flat rotational tricks that Nirvana derived kites can't match, they help with some groundwork, they pre-load the spar making kites feel stiffer (we mostly had pultruded spars back in the 90s), they tighten up the sail nicely etc.

kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 10:19 PM »

it would seem that most kites of todays region all have straight leading edges over the 90 model curved leadinmg edge kites!

DISLIKE LEFT WING SCUM DO-GOODERS!!!!!!!
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 12:04 PM »

In support of the prior responses, it has been my experience that a hybrid of a straight and curved leading edge works the best.  A straight section from the nose to the upper spreader, then a gentle curve from that point to the wing tip.  The curved section allows the wing spar to assist in applying uniform tension to the sail.  If the kite has a leach line, the curved leading edge with the leach line will reduce trailing edge flutter and the associated drag.  With no curve in the leading edge from the lower wing spar to the wing tip, a leach line will introduce a loose section to the sail just above the trailing edge.  With an increase in wind speed, this loose section of the sail will increase the camber (curve in the sail), which then will increase the amount of lift the sail can generate and produce more line tension than desired.  This is just the opposite of what we would like.

When I introduced the use of a leach line in the early 1990s, we started with a straight leading edge in my early prototypes, then added and extending the curve section until we arrived at what I described above, which resulted in my Falcon, and subsequent Talon and Raptor.  For higher wind conditions, we would add a 1/16-inch diameter by 3/4-inch bungee loop to the end of the leach line at each wing tip, which would allow the leach line to adjust with the sail.

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
breezin
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03 PM »

When 1st starting ground work on Premiers Widow ng, Nighthawk and Addiction I had assumed I was more successful on the Addiction because it was smaller and lighter. That's true to some extent but this thread has enlightened me some. My Black Dog has a straighter LE, with very close specs.  Addiction kicks it's butt on low altitude and ground work.Flips and rotates better.Recovers quicker.Black Dog has the edge on stability and corners. Smoother.  Most everything I know about ground work comes from the Addiction. I can do all I know on my other kites now but the Addiction was easier. A lot of times to easy and I'd over steer which is kinda fun. Except Pro Dancer and TOTL. Different beasties. Don't hardly ever fly with loose leech lines on my Zephyr or Hydra anymore. Don't tighten to where kite starts to wrinkle but need to revisit that.I really hope I get to fly a Widow Maker sewn by Heads Up. I'd read posts where their kites and the Widow ng flew much the same. More a difference in quality than flight. Steve tweaked the tips somehow when he was sewing them. My Tapp sewn Widow flies very different than the Widow ng to me. Faster, smoother, quieter and lighter on the lines. I can't really trick much better due to the kite though cause I still suck. Some one were to ask me what kite they should get for their 1st I say Widow ng. Fly it, break it, fix it and repeat. My 1st and misery loves company LOL. Loved that kite even before I could launch well. If Jon T sews some Widows this fall it would be really cool to compare all 3. If Ken sews some with a little tweak here or there a person could see themselves having 8 Widow Makers. They make a UL too you know Shocked. I'm not sure where the bungee mod would be worth it on the Hydra. The Zephyr I got to try it. In 6 to 12 gusty winds kite dynamic changes can be fairly dramatic. Can fine tune the Z a lot but my winds are hardly ever smooth enough to really take advantage of that. I'll use the same bungee material that I redo the Psycho sail tension with.Stock rubber on the Psycho is pretty thick but I'll figure it out. If that works well set the nose tilt to 2nd position and leave it. Make some sliding standoffs and adjust for wind speed there. 14+ mph Zephyr kinda sucks. Kites rated to 18. Don't know about that but this mod might make it really good to 15.I need to study why my Tekken only has a out haul adjustment that Iv'e never used, flies so consistent through out it's wind range and even higher.When flying it I start having so much fun I quickly quit trying to figure out why it's so good. Probably the eyes. I assume you tie the bungee to the leach line and attach so the sail is just a wee bit slack. Thanks Doug for making this post current again. Cool stuff.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom