GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 02:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr low wind and Mr no wind  (Read 939 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: March 22, 2014, 04:42 PM »

Had some fun today in some super low winds.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37 PM »

What is that Black, yellow & red kite, a FearDevil SUL ? Looks AWESOME !

SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:58 PM »

What is that Black, yellow & red kite, a FearDevil SUL ? Looks AWESOME !

Second that.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45 PM »

Thanks guys.

It's a Fearless Devil Light.   Fearless light is my favorite all around kite and I saw this come up and needed to get a backup.  Smiley.  It's sort if a reverse-video of my yellow light, but also with the devil aspects as well.   

Mr. No wind is the Airwave Zero - about as tricky in literally nothing as I've seen, but it's an acquired taste.  The FL just rocks it, no compromises.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:49 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Mr. No wind is the Airwave Zero - about as tricky in literally nothing as I've seen, but it's an acquired taste.

Love my airwave zero.

When you pull it out of the bag its just a nice budget SUL.   Roll Eyes

Always impress with how well this preforms in the air. Also, It also hold an amazing fade for such a small kite.  Grin

That Fearless Devil Light looks sharp.  Cool
tpatter

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:22 PM »

Wayne,

Zero is a unknown winner for sure - came and went and hardly a mention, but it flys very well in near nothing for sure.  I agree - considering its low cost, can't beat it.

6 kite tom
kite_pilot

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:52 PM »

im after a low wind kite with quality as well,how would this kite you have posted the Fearless Devil Light compare with skyburner pro dancer ?
$450 plus a kite ?= gee it would want to be bloody good for the price of it!!! Huh Shocked
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:19 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:29 PM »

Fearless SUL/tattoo if you want to go there, but that will be another $100 or so. 

Like Wayne says, the airWave is cheap, around $120 or so,  and, while very good, it will not feel like a full sized UL or Standard at all.  But, it's lots of fun to fly in almost  nothing. 

If you are willing to give up some drive and are willing to move a bit, then go for something full sized.

6 kite tom
kite_pilot

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 10:50 PM »

you didnt answer my question!,but how does the skyburner pro dancer compare to the Fearless Devil Light in quality,design and perf in low to no winds?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:01 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
tpatter

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:24 PM »

Hmm

Quality - same

Design - who knows?  I think they both are perfect, but have different goals.   Pro dancer is designed to dance, but not trick.  Fearless UL is both.  It will not fly as low as pro dancer, but will do all modern tricks in 3 mph based on pilots ability.

Performance - see above.  You want tricks or basic flight? 

I think, overall, you will find the pro dancer much easier to fly around including precision, but will meet frustration with most anything we call tricks today.  Jacobs ladder, yoyo, backspin, comete, cynique - frustration, near impossible for someone who doesn't already know how to do it. 

I consider the Pro dancer more like the Airwave Zero - lots of compromises to exclude today's tricks, but will fly in near nothing. 

You see my picture - 2 kites.  One that is essentially an indoor SUL (like pro dancer or air zero) for reverting to when all all fails, and another kite that is a full-on, does it how it's meant to be done, trickster in very low, but measurable, wind. 

Good luck.   It's a great journey.  If you are just starting out, you may not fully get what I've written for a few more years.   

I can say, success at this is all about finesse and a smaller low wind kite will teach you a lot about that.  I realize, however, that I'm wasting my breathe.  No one wants to tame it down and learn fine detail and control when yoyos and tazes are to be had!  Smiley

Either way, it's a journey!  Smiley

6 kite tom
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:24 AM »

Tom you are right about the Pro Dancer.  She is beautiful and well built.  But not for all the modern day tricks.  I would rather have a comparison on The Aura... a very light weight kite that does everything.  Even indoor ( see Devin's vid flying indoor).  Jon T had the Aura out at Kite party everyone loved it... The Dancer can't compare with the Aura... I really like to see you fly one this summer.  When the air gets warm.  I 'll send my little girl to you for a couple weeks.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13 PM »

im after a low wind kite with quality as well,how would this kite you have posted the Fearless Devil Light compare with skyburner pro dancer ?
$450 plus a kite ?= gee it would want to be bloody good for the price of it!!! Huh Shocked

While both of these kites are very well made, you can not compare them as they have nothing in common as they are designed for difference purposes.

The Prodancer is a older design that has a larger sail than today's modern full size kites (exp. Widow Maker).  This allows the sail to load up and fly with a little wind or pilot foot movements.  The kite flies with precision and control.  Not designed for today's tricks nor does it handle increases in wind with that big efficient sail and light frame.

The Fearless is a modern top end trick kite.  The SUL has been modified to the lowest weight possible that STILL allows it to preform today's tricks.  The Fearless can also handle increases in wind speed.

The value of the PDSUL is it will fly in little to no wind when just about nothing else will.  However it will not do much else.  The Fearless requires more wind but is capable of doing tricks. This allows you to do trick flying on low wind days. 

In my real world experience I use both, not one of the other.  Flying a kite like the Fearless SUL (or a host of others) until the wind drops then pulling out the my PDSUL or Amazing because nothing else will fly.  As soon as the wind increase its too much for these kites and time to move to a back to my first kite.

Hope that helps

Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:40 PM »

Nice Kites Tom.
tpatter

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04 PM »

Nice Kites Tom.

Thanks Jorge!

I always keep coming back to flying the FL - it's just so smooth in tricks.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document