GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 01:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First dog encounter  (Read 1106 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 30, 2014, 09:21 PM »

Sadly, I had my first dog encounter today while out flying my magnet UL for the first time.  Was just packing up after a session and had the kite belly down next to my bag when an excited, off leash dog ran up and stomped on it (in a leash only area of the park mind you). Not as devastating as many pictures I've seen from kites being destroyed, but still frustrating to have to patch up holes after the very first session with a new kite. 

I'll finish with saying that I'm a dog owner, and find it incredibly rude when other dog owners don't heed the signs or respect leash laws. 

Anyway, my rant is over and my Magnet has been CA glued in several spots... to fly again another day.  Could have been worse.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:17 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  Were you at Mag?

Things have gotten out of hand there lately - most dogs are off leash in this area now.   It's crazy given that one of the largest off leash areas in the city (with a beach no less!) is within easy walking distance.

Kids with the newly legal in the park I can handle, but dogs with irresponsible owners is hard to take.

6 kite tom
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:30 PM »

It was at Mag... I'll think twice before having more than one kite out at any given time.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55 PM »

My prime kite field was fenced off and locked up because dog owners continued to let their dogs run loose even after signs were posted reminding them that dogs were not allowed. I had asked many dog owners to at least but their dogs on a leash when they were chasing my kites and was met with anger and rude insults most of the time. Once a loose dog ran through my lines and snapped them, I confronted the owner and she replied "I let my dog run loose here all the time, he has just as much right as you," and walked on her way.
I like dogs, I don't like most of the owners I have met flying my kites.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:33 AM »

I've had a dog chasing round after a kite for over 10 minutes whilst the owner and family members made half hearted attempts to catch the dog.  Even got told I was a great soft lump (or something like that) for expecting the dog to do anything other than chase kites.
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:35 AM »

our dog will chase my kite until his legs won't move anymore - i posted a vid of him here once and got flamed for teasing a dog (posters didn't realize it was my dog and he loves it) and got what i deserved when he snapped the kite out of the sky.

funny thing is, as soon as the kite is on the ground on its tips he just stops with his nose a few inches away it waiting for its next move. as soon as it moves it is fair play again.  i consider it my fault if he catches it but it is hard to resist ground passes in front of his nose at full pelt

i would not let him off the lead if other fliers were around - like when he sees cats, his brain goes into doggy focus mode which allows no other input.  Casualties so far are a couple of bensons and prisms. No cats hurt but he did get a slashed nose once for getting too close  Embarrassed

Imafloater
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 08:15 AM »

Haven't seen this take on dogs and kites.  A couple weeks ago flying at a park in the area there was a family with a dualie and a dog to chase it. All the time that I watched it appear only a matter of time that kite was going to lawn dart the dog.  Perhaps calmly, politely explaining to dog owners that they're really going to miss little Scruffy when that kite takes him out.  Non flyers don't always understand that kites can do real damage.  Unfortunately the dog owners don't seem to care much about kites or lines but are more impressed with how Scruffy will look with a  3 wrap to the backside.  On a serious note this has worked in out "home" park to curb the dog (owner).
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:22 AM »

funny thing is, as soon as the kite is on the ground on its tips he just stops with his nose a few inches away it waiting for its next move. as soon as it moves it is fair play again.

I have noticed that, too: For most dogs, the kite is only interesting while in the air. Once on the ground, they do not really know what to do with it and may even walk away. Hopefully not stepping on the kite in the process.

Biggest danger for the kite is when a dog jumps up in an attempt to pluck it from the air. Biggest danger for the dog is obviously the owner. Wink

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:36 AM »

It was at Mag... I'll think twice before having more than one kite out at any given time.
The last two times I visited Mag were during a weekday, not particularly good weather, and from around 1 to 4 PM. Lips sealed
Both times the hill was inundated with off leash dogs, their owners, with no plastic baggies for their dog's waste,  Angry and an attitude that they owned the area for their own personal use.  This is despite the fact that 'Kite Hill' is posted in two areas; entering the park and at the major intersection leading up to the hill.  Makes you wonder why they bother to call it Kite Hill when the kitists have to stay out of the way of the sunbathers, picknickers, etc. who place themselves right smack dab in the middle of your laid out line sets, oblivious of everything around them.  Who is that that said the now legal intensifies awareness?  They must have been smokin' some REALLY good stuff!
 Cheesy

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:17 AM »

the hill was inundated with off leash dogs, their owners, with no plastic baggies for their dog's waste,  Angry and an attitude that they owned the area for their own personal use. 

I think this is the real problem here.  The owners with no control over their dogs believing what is best for the dog is to run wild.

I fly at a field next to a dog park and see dogs just about every time I fly. many of them are off the leach.  If the every get interest in the kite  (or me, some just want attention) their owners are after them. I have never had an issue because the owner care about how their dog interacts with others.

I have noticed that, too: For most dogs, the kite is only interesting while in the air. Once on the ground, they do not really know what to do with it and may even walk away.

I sometimes play with a dog. fly the kite to both edges of the wind window the dog loves to chase but is soon tired out.  So to is the owner is to from yelling at the dog.   Cheesy
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 08:52 PM »

I have noticed that, too: For most dogs, the kite is only interesting while in the air. Once on the ground, they do not really know what to do with it and may even walk away. Hopefully not stepping on the kite in the process.

Encounters, but no real problem with dogs here....
I've had obliviot dog owners walking over lines and unlike a dog described above....the dog owner is strangely attracted to a parked kite and almost steps on said kite.....
Good dog!!
bt
JimNZ
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15 PM »

The beach where I fly in New Zealand has a big dog problem, totally unpoliced by the local authority.  Dog owners think their pets are far more important, and have more rights, than human beach-users, be they kite-fliers or whatever.  This is typified by a woman recently who, when I asked her to "Please keep that animal under control," screamed at me, "He's not an animal - you're an animal!"  Not an animal?  Suggests a warped mentality on the part of the owner, but sadly not uncommon, here at least.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document