GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet Another Noob!  (Read 521 times)
Avalon Born
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 29, 2014, 05:05 PM »

Hello All,
I got the urge to carve up the sky after a long absence and found this fine forum. To be honest never knew what a kite could do till I watched some of the videos you guys and girls have posted. (Cliffs at end I tend to waffle on Huh)

So hear I am saying a hello, apologising in advance for many questions I have, hoping one day to have half the skills on display here.

I had a decent (well assume it was decent sports kite) back in the 90's that's migrated to the land that every third sock I own migrates to. So my better half kindly got me what would be best described as.... Well lets just say, it was returned to soulless chain store the next day. I remember that back in the day I was breaking stand off's etc... on a weekly basis, I was a master of the lawn dart, and flying in gale force winds  Roll Eyes Should I expect to be doing the same, well hopefully not trying to bore a hole to oz! or have material moved on?
I've been reading the recommendations for kites in this here corner but, none of them are easy to get hold of here in the UK from what I've found, we seem to be limited to C.I.M, H.Q, Prism, and Skydog.
On the short list are the: HQ Yukon, Prism Quantum, Skydog  Dream on & Jammin and wondering if anyone has flown any of these and what they thought? would you recommend them for a born again noob? I will be getting a foil as well because we can get serious wind at one of the flying spots near me. I'm drawn to the Rasta jammin for aesthetic reasons alone and will probably get it unless there is a good reason not too.

Cliffs
I have keyboard diarrhoea!
Have materials moved on since the mid 90's or should I expect to be breaking stands off's etc. on regular basis?
Other than kites What would you consider essential to you kit bag?
Any reason why a Skydog Jammin would not be a good choice for noob?

Many Thanks & Blessings
Tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:36 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.

I have flown the SkyDog Dream On and found it to be a competent flier

and moderate trickster. This was with no tail weight. It is made quite well.

I found it to be the best flier of the SkyDog sport kites, although not as

tricky as the Sweet Emotion or Cross Fire. The kite sells for $80 from the

less reputable types to $130 from reputable kite stores. I could be off a little

on the price there.

The Quantum is very well thought of here on the Forum, but I can't really

offer my opinion on it as I haven't flown one in proper wind.

Hopefully you can find some fellow fliers near you. Fly before you buy is

the best policy if possible.  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:40 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
SparkieRob

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:54 AM »

I haven't flown any on your short list but there is just something about that Dream On sail that is strangely soothing to me. It's very pretty to look at.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:41 AM »

Greeting from a fellow Brit flyer!

The problem in the UK as you have found is a lack of decent mid range/price kites  Sad

It depends on how much you want to pay - I'm guessing from your list that it is around 60-80 ish. That gives you a reasonable choice of some decent kites. I haven't flown Skydog kites but from the videos I've seen they look pretty good, the ones you are talking about are made from plain 6mm carbon fibre frames which are cheap and easy to repair and they come with a set of Dyneema flying lines which is what you want. Another couple you might want to consider are the HQ Jive 2 and Maestro 2. The Jive has an all 6mm carbon frame and is a pretty good starter kite.  The Maestro is bigger and a bit more tricky but has a bit better ( and so more expensive) frame but a very good kite. If you shop around you can get the Jive for around 60 ish and the Maestro for 90. both ready to fly with lines.

All good kites and no reason not to buy, if I was starting out again I'd probably go with the Jammin as a first kite if you fancy one as it flies well, tricks well, is cheap to fix (you will break bits - everyone does at first).  Later you may want to get special low wind, high wind kites or better kites but this should keep you going for the time being.

WARNING!!!!!  Kite flying is highly addictive and you will find that your kite bag fills and the same rate as your bank balance empties!....ask anyone here!  Sad  But it's damn good fun!! Grin

I'd also recommend you watch Dodd Gross's 'Flight School' which is available free on Youtube. This one is a must watch for new pilots. Also the 6 step learning/practise system section.

Have fun with your new addiction hobby. Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxVhl3Z3ao
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:44 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document