GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prism zephyr bridal issue  (Read 1724 times)
nkurilo
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 26, 2014, 12:50 AM »

I just purchased a prism zephyr today and when I got it home and assembled it the bridal was all wrong. ... With the bridal adjustment in the center of the limit knots the nose is so far back the kite flies backwards Huh? Is this a common issue and how do I fix this.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can get me up and flying.
Captainbob

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:30 AM »

If you purchased at a dealer, I would bring it back and ask for another one or see if he can adjust it properly.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
JJF6

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:47 AM »

G,day Mate,

The Zephyr is a low wind trick kite, If you are a novice to stunt kite flying it will do things that in the wrong hands that just does not seem right.

With the right inputs at the exact timing this kite is awesome, I have two but In Australia I only get about 10 days a year to fly in perfect conditions for this kite.

The days you get to fly in perfect conditions are great but in saying that I have to many kites, It's a highly addictive sport.  Just ask Mr Chilese the godfather of sport kite flying in the US, he is a great mentor for the sport and is appreciated world wide for his insightful wisdom to a unique sport that very people understand.

Cheers
Keith
nkurilo

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09 AM »

Im more of a do it myself kinda person and would love the learning experience with this. ..I figured out that if I adjust it about 3 inches above the light wind knot it sits at about the same angle of attack as my 4d and hypnotist in their normal wind setting,  does anyone have the measurements or specs for the zephyr bridal, maybe the limit knots are tied in the wrong place
Captainbob

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:49 AM »

If you are on Facebook, go to the Prism page and post your question there. They usually monitor that site.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prism-Kite-Technology/267236646644831

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
nkurilo

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:52 AM »

No Facebook. ...
etully
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:27 AM »

Maybe the bridle is on upside down, where the upper and lower outhauls are reversed.  Here's a few useful measurements quoted from the prism forum that will test this theory:

"I have a 'Z' on loan at the moment so I just ran the tape measure over it for you.

OK length from Upper APA to first knot (upper outhaul) 475mm (50mm from high to low knots) lower outhaul to HW knot 515mm. I have inhaul at 530mm. Hope that helps 

Now don't be a stranger now 

And if my info doesn't match, pop back tomorrow, I'm sure someone will check to see if I'm right 

Regards,

WD"

Ed

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:35 AM »

In general, the kite spine should be a little bit nose up if you hold the kite by the bridle lines.

If it isn't at least close to this, something is likely wrong.

I had a Z some years ago - it's a decent kite, certainly able to fly and trick easily enough.

6 kite tom
nkurilo

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56 AM »

Hey thanks for the measurements I'll check them out tonight and let you know what I find.....and thanks again for the help
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04 AM »

Here is the best photo I could find showing the bridle on a Zephyr.

It's from 2007. Hope it helps. I agree that when you hold the kite by the

tow points and let it hang, the nose should be a little higher than the rest of the kite.

(click on photo to go to the original and look at it full size)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
nkurilo

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:01 PM »

Well i definitely have a problem then because when I hold it by the tow points and let it hang it looks like it is in a back flip.....lol
Hadge

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25 PM »

Unfortuantely Prism doesn't seem to like making it's bridle measurements readily available unlike some other makers.  Could I suggest you measure and post the bridle dimensions of your bridle here on the forum so that someone compare them with their Zephyr and we can figure out the problem? I suggest measuring from the knot to the frame on each 'leg' would avoid any confusion.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 03:13 PM »

My Prism QPro SUL came with the bridle attached upside-down. So, it's not the first time for that...
The Zephyr is a great kite once you get it adjusted correctly... best of luck.
And no, never fixed the QPro SUL, it has yet to see flight.

nkurilo

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 04:43 PM »

Ok so took some measurements But didn't have anything at home to measure in metric hope these will still help.    (It's in inches)
Upper leading edge to low wind knot.....17 15/16
Lower leading edge to high wind knot. ....18 1/2
Low wind knot to high wind knot. ....1 3/4
Spine to larks head on the leader. ....20 1/8

I can see that my lines are shorter all the way around.... is it possible that they put the wrong bridal on or maybe changed the design.

The kite will fly if I adjust it way past the low wind knot
missionview

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42 PM »

Ok so took some measurements But didn't have anything at home to measure in metric hope these will still help.    (It's in inches)
Upper leading edge to low wind knot.....17 15/16
Lower leading edge to high wind knot. ....18 1/2
Low wind knot to high wind knot. ....1 3/4
Spine to larks head on the leader. ....20 1/8

I can see that my lines are shorter all the way around.... is it possible that they put the wrong bridal on or maybe changed the design.

The kite will fly if I adjust it way past the low wind knot

My Zephyr bridle dimensions are approximately the same as yours, and mine flies........ I adjusted to the light wind knot, suspended the kite, and the nose and tail are nearly the same distance from the floor. When I adjust the bridle between the high and low wind knots, the nose is closer to the floor (below the tail). Again, my kite flies, I am surprised you are having problems.

Also, my tail weight is installed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:45 PM by missionview » Logged

Robert
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum