GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Control - Novice  (Read 526 times)
RuthlessRoth
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 27, 2014, 09:25 PM »

25yr+ ago I flew Top of the Line and still have the 5 kites I flew then.

Last year I saw Romancing the wind with Ray Bethell. It inspired me to get back into flying.

I now have 1 Prisma Nexus (for my wife), Quantum & 2 Zephers. I had an E3 but the wind here was not great for it so I sold it.

I just ordered a Silver Fox 2.5UL. I turned 63 so I needed a new toy.

I repair my kites myself. I found Sky Shark and have a stash of leading edges and spreaders.

Make my own lines, handles, etc.. Have the fun is being able to fix them.

Over the past year I have improved but the problem is I have no one to help me.

Videos are OK but I'm not there yet where I can pick it up via a video.

I live in Hillcrest (San Diego, CA) and usually fly at:

1) Liberty Station (sometimes OK winds but can be choppy).

2) Mission Bay park is not all that great these days due to the palm trees but OK sometimes

3) The West side on Rob field at the 3 baseball diamonds West of the entrance road can

be perfect as long as it is not from the South West.

4) Fiesta Island at the OTL field is good but a little sandy.

5) Silver Strand is great when it too cold for beach goers.

I try to fly after work between 3:30-5. Weekends when there are not events at the above locations Mostly Saturday.

Does any one know of someone in my area that is willing to help me a bit?

Thanks

Andy

drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:59 AM »

Hi Andy,

I live up in Northern California, but I know some flyers down where you live. Ron Despojado "Quadzilla" and I believe Mark and Jeanette Lummas who all make up Team "Too Much Fun" fly in the San Diego Area. Actually, my brother lives down there too and is just starting to get into flying. I asked Ron if they have any get togethers down in SD and he said they do once a month. They meet at Mission Bay Park on the third Saturday of the month I think. Here is a link to the SD Kite Club.

www.sandiegokiteclub.com/

and here is a link to Too Much Fun

www.lummas.com/Too_Much_Fun/too_much_fun.html

Hopefully you can go to one of their monthly fly events. They have a lot of great info and knowledge to share and they are all great people.

Good luck with your kiting and have fun.

Drew

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 Std & UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
RuthlessRoth

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:29 PM »

Thanks. I'll look into it.
Andy
thekitedude

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:15 PM »

The SDKC normally meets the second Saturday but we will be meeting the third Saturday in May due to a conflict (Ocean Beach Kite Festival). I know you said you have a conflict on the second Saturday's but maybe May will work for you.

Ron is at most meetings but is mainly a quadline flyer. The Lummis's are pretty good dual line flyers (okay, very good) but we only see them occassionally.

Rick
RuthlessRoth

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:21 PM »

Hi Rick,
I can make the 3rd sat in May. I'll be there. What time do people show up?

I can't find anything about the Lummis's. Do you have a link?

thekitedude

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:05 PM »

Time depends on how far you want to walk. As we get into the warmer months parking fills up fast. I am usually one of the first there, maybe 0900'ish. People start straggling in after that. Meeting is at Noon'ish sharp. Some will be there till dinner time or later if wind and weather is right.

The only link I have for the Lummas's is the same as was posted above. Somewhat out of date I think but covers the basics. They live up LA'ish so we only see them down here occassionally.
Hope to see you in May. Keep an eye on the website for any changes, sometimes we have to move because of events taking over 'our' kite field. In fact the website is a bit out of date but will be updated for April/May in the next couple days.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document