GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: adding seam allowance.  (Read 2261 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: June 24, 2009, 04:11 PM »

when adding seam allowance do you add it to both of the seams that are being joined or to one side?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:59 PM »

when adding seam allowance do you add it to both of the seams that are being joined or to one side?

http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

Search for "Seams:" to scroll to the parts of interest.

Huzzahs to Gary  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:42 AM »

Depends on the type of seam and your design. If using a broadseaming technique add 3/16" to both sides, that gives you a 3/8" overlap for your tape or glue and keeps your design line in the middle of the seam.

If your going with a fell seam (double fold) things get more complicated. Especially if you want the seam centered on your design line, then you have add 1/8" or 1/2" depending on which way your rolling the seam, one side (preferably the downwind) gets the short allowance the other gets the long then your first sewing line is 1/8" inside your design line on the panel with the 1/8" allowance and 1/8" outside your design line on the side with the 1/2" + allowance. When rolled and your second stich line done that will give you a 1/4" wide seam centered on your design line.

I've probably got all that wrong since I blow it even after spending an hour folding paper to prototype it  Shocked

I like broadseaming, it's way easier and you can do curves. But I sure appreciate a well built kite using fell seams, like the Delta Drive with it's complex 1/8" fell seams, a work of art IMO.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24 AM »

I typically add half the seam allowance to each of the panels.  Also remember to overlap darker colors on top on the front of the kite.

tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:12 PM »

Why do you overlap darker colors on top of lighter colors?  Huh Sorry for the new builder questions. Embarrassed
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49 PM »

Why do you overlap darker colors on top of lighter colors?  Huh Sorry for the new builder questions. Embarrassed
Dark colors show through the light color fabric even when they aren't backlit.  It looks better to have a dark color on the top.

Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13 PM »

Absolutely.

Darker over lighter on the kite-front is the basic rule, it just looks better.
Colour schemes that use high contrasting colours also work better and look sharper for this very reason.

RE seams. If you go for a simple overlap like mine or Benson, I certainly use approximately 8mm in total and that means 4mm allowance for each overlapping panel. Hidden edge areas require nothing.

I don't know about other panel stitching methods, but would probably use the same system if say, I used flat-felled seams. That way everything is equal.

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:57 PM »

If you look at the FULL SIZE version of this picture hyperlinked below, you will see how the blue panel shows up behind the white panel. Surprising to me on a Jeff Howard kite.

PHASE:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
EBGB

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 05:30 PM »

Interesting... I've always added the seam allowance to the lighter colored panel, then when you stack dark-to-light, the visual edge ends up where the design edge is.

Rules are made to be broken though.
I suspect that anyone who builds volume is going to develope an assembly order, and they're not going to change every time the colors change.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29 AM »

Interesting... I've always added the seam allowance to the lighter colored panel, then when you stack dark-to-light, the visual edge ends up where the design edge is.

That actually makes real good sense and I'm sure I'll be considering your point in future builds. Always learning from everybody's input. But it does complicate a complex sail graphic even further doesn't it?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum