GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 03:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Flying in West Michigan  (Read 980 times)
hydro18679
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: April 01, 2014, 11:04 AM »

Sport Kite flying is great fun.  However, in Grand Rapids, MI, I always end up flying by myself at the park down the road from my neighborhood.  I dont really know anyone that is passionate about flying any kites other than a couple of kitesurfers in Kalamazoo.  It would be great to have a companion (or companions) to try to learn tricks, watch other styles, and try out different kites.

Is there anybody out there that wants to fly kites this spring in the West Michigan area?  At Cascade Township Park near the airport there are a couple of soccer fields, 2 baseball diamonds, and some open space that always seem to have at least some wind.  I try to hit it up after work and on weekends whenever it is windy.  Send me a msg and join me!  Jeff
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24 AM »

Not sure about anyone else over there but come on out to the Great Lakes Kite festival in may. 16-18. I will be there friday through sunday. I'm from the ann arbor area, and am not home often but when I am I like to meet up with people. Myself, Jim Adkins, hopefully Steve Tapp, Vertigo (joe), some wednesday night crew from plymouth, and lots of others will be there as well. Its not from the immediate area but at least its from MI. Im sure someone is bound to know someone in the surrounding area.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
hydro18679
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:47 AM »

Yes, Im really hoping to make it out that event this year.  Im sure all sorts of kite heads will be attending.  Problem for me though is my wife is due May 20th with our first child, so not too likely, but we shall see!
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:01 PM »

Newlyweds!  Smiley  Devin may not get this yet, but if you want to live to be an old married man like me, you won't be out flying kites with your wife expecting at any moment  Huh Roll Eyes Cheesy  Hope to meet you some time.  I'm three miles south of the Indiana line.  Maybe Warren Dunes some non crowded day...

Oh yes, congrats on your first!

Yes, Im really hoping to make it out that event this year.  Im sure all sorts of kite heads will be attending.  Problem for me though is my wife is due May 20th with our first child, so not too likely, but we shall see!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:02 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:36 PM »

i am in Niles, 3 miles north of the Indiana boarder.  Id love to meet up some time. I dont really get up that way much, but if we could meet on the lake some time in the middle, Id be up for that. Take care of that wife and baby first and give me a yell when you have time. I am pretty new too, but am starting to pick up the tricks now. we can learn together.

Dangit Steve...you're not old...

Jim
jlmcevoy

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:04 PM »

If you ever make it to the Saginaw area look me up. I am presently teaching a sport kite flying class at SVSU.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 06:29 AM »

If you ever make it to the Saginaw area look me up. I am presently teaching a sport kite flying class at SVSU.

you are teaching a sport kite flying class at a University? That is awesome.....care to share some more details on how you set that up?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54 AM »

Interesting, did a little searching and found this:

http://www.svsu.edu/olli/classes-2014/cookinghobbies/

Good on you JimM  Smiley

you are teaching a sport kite flying class at a University? That is awesome.....care to share some more details on how you set that up?

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18 AM »

Is there anybody out there that wants to fly kites this spring in the West Michigan area?

Check this out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Back-2-the-Wind-Kite-Club/209246693298

Dave Bush, who leads that group, is a great guy and is based in Kalamazoo. He's the same guy who flies a Thor's Hammer kite at festivals.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 04:21 PM »

Interesting, did a little searching and found this:

http://www.svsu.edu/olli/classes-2014/cookinghobbies/

Good on you JimM  Smiley

Can we combine that class with introduction to beer style and beer appreciation?
trigger

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:55 PM »

Tmadz, i do have a masters in beer consumption. If you'd ever like to work on a course outline with me, i am available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlmcevoy

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:35 PM »

Ya, that's my Olli class. Beer and kites.... I like it! Heck, I used to be into making my own beer back in my graduate school days.

The Olli class ended yesterday. I taught a small group the basics. We had a blast. Now they want an intermediate dual line class!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum