GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: getting iPhone 3G , not going on service ?/  (Read 2530 times)
rumtx
Trade Count: (0)
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:18 PM »

A friend is getting a iPhone 3Gs and giving me his iPhone 3G .

I don't plan on using the phone part of the 3G , not hooking to AT&T !

Just what will I have ?

GPS ?

WiFi ?

Skype work ?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:23 PM »

my understanding is that you would need internet for all of those...well specifically for skype yes...
wifi-that is how i understood my blackberry to be....but alas i was wrong.....
read read read as much as you can before turning that thing on!!!!or you (or he) is going to get a big bill....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:34 PM »

the phone companys arent gonna let you have data sevice without a phone pkg. thats why they callem smart phones, they do everything. If you want a itouch then buy one they're pretty cool. my bro-inlaw has one they rock.
Windbag
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08 PM »

A friend is getting a iPhone 3Gs and giving me his iPhone 3G .

I don't plan on using the phone part of the 3G , not hooking to AT&T !

Just what will I have ?

GPS ?

WiFi ?

Skype work ?

Rumtx, I think your friend is on the hook for a two year contract. He won't get out of it by giving it to you -- somebody has to pay the $70 to $100 per month contract until the 2 years are up.

GPS doesn't work unless you have a 3G cell signal. Forget GPS. You could use it as an Ipod?

I think the 3G has been out less than 1 year. Lots of liability left.

Beware!

Have fun, Ray.

Have fun,

Ray
rumtx
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:11 AM »

Rumtx ,

Thanks guys .

I've got an iPod Touch , which I like , , was hoping to use the WiFi on the 3g
to use the web and Skype .

One can Skype on a 2g Touch so I though it might work on a iPhone 3g using wiFi .

The GPS is what I wanted to play with to tell the truth and I
thought it had a GPS chip so didn't need the phone part to work ??
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:32 AM »

ipod touch has the GPS in it right?
rumtx
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:50 AM »

The iPod Touch 1st or 2nd generation do not  have GPS !!

maybe the 3rd gen coming in Sept . will .
EnergonCube

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:06 AM »

was hoping to use the WiFi on the 3g to use the web and Skype .

One can Skype on a 2g Touch so I though it might work on a iPhone 3g using wiFi .

The GPS is what I wanted to play with to tell the truth and I
thought it had a GPS chip so didn't need the phone part to work ??

As long as you're on a WiFi network, you can use skype on the 3G. And yes, the 3G iPhone does have a GPS chip. As an FYI, Apple is gearing up to replace the iPod Touch soon. It is strongly rumored to have the upgraded hardware (GPS included), plus the digital compass. That's a very nice feature to have when coupled with the GPS, btw!
dyfrgi

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:26 AM »

The iPhone 3G uses AGPS, or "assisted GPS". It requires the cell phone network to function.

Regarding the cell contract, presumably he's keeping the contract - he's getting a new iPhone after all, why wouldn't he be on the same account?

You should be able to use the wifi. The question is, can it be locked out remotely be the cell company? I know that you have to hack an iPhone to get it to work without being activated on a cell network, but I'm not sure how it goes when you get one that was previously activated but is no longer connected.
rumtx
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 12:17 PM »

Thanks Guys !

I didn't know about AGPS , will have to figure that one out .

I guess I'll just have to get it and try to see what works .

I'll try to revisit this thread and let you know .

Regards Rumtx
rumtx
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30 AM »

A GPS info I found on an Apple site :
( it should work without a service contract , hell any phone reads cell towers )

How it works.
GPS (Global Positioning System) technology uses information from earth-orbiting satellites to find locations. A receiver estimates the distance to GPS satellites based on the time it takes for signals to reach it, then uses that information to identify its location. But the A-GPS (Assisted GPS) solution on iPhone 3G goes a step further, using a unique approach to find the closest satellites and more quickly identify your position. That gives you a faster fix on your location than with regular GPS.

Get the signal.
In addition to A-GPS, iPhone 3G uses signals from GPS satellites, Wi-Fi hot spots, and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast. If GPS is available, iPhone displays a blue GPS indicator. But if you’re inside — without a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite — iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you’re not in range of a Wi-Fi hot spot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers. And the size of a location circle tells you how accurately iPhone is able to calculate that location: The smaller the circle, the more accurate the location.
Windbag
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24 PM »

Rumtx, I stand by my earlier post that the GPS doesn't work without a 3G connection. I had an Iphone 3G for a month & returned it to AT&T. When I went to the beach with no cell phone signal -- No GPS. It said I needed a cell connection. That's not a real GPS.

Most of the small cities along the OR coast don't have 3G so my Iphone wouldn't work unless I manually changed it to non 3G & the GPS still didn't work.

Did you ever find out how long your buddies contract is?

Somebodies got to pay!

Ray.

Have fun,

Ray
rumtx
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35 PM »

AT&T gave him the $199 option and started  his contract for a new  two years from when he got the subsidized 3Gs .

There is a lot of no contract phones out there now .

It just doesn't have a contract , one can still call 911 on it though .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum