GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widow NG from Premier Kites  (Read 1146 times)
Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 06, 2014, 08:46 PM »

Here is my first video flying my Widow NG Kite.  Smiley

I can tell this kite has potential  Smiley

Premier Widow NG 2014

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:43 AM »

Nice fly... How much did you pay for the WidowNG Huh with line set?

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:26 PM »

Nice fly... How much did you pay for the WidowNG Huh with line set?

Thanks... For some reason I knew you were going to be the first one to write back. 

I got the kite for $ 160.00 complete with line set.  Smiley

planing to add more weight on the tail and see how it goes. You will find out in the next video.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:32 PM by Jorge Gouverneur » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:55 PM »

Don't add any weight to the tail until you learn it first. The kite is fine as is but benefits from a better line set. I flew the final prototype for a couple months evaluating it side by side with a WM and trying many tweaks to make improvements but ended up right where Jon had it set.  I can tell you it performs so close to the WM that I couldn't find any way to improve it other than turn it into a WM with a nylon sail.  Toss a WM bridle on it, add a leech line and you end up with a WM with a bit higher low end wind range. Thats how close it is. Jon already has the tail weight maxed for what the kite benefits from but lowering it can make the kite less spongy.  I fly mine with the stock 16g most of the time but drop it to 10 when I want less tail spin and crisper performance.  I've been planning a vid of it but need a better camera (one that works at least Tongue )
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:31 AM »

Hi Tony,

Yep he is right.  It fly's very close to a WM.  Jon worked his tail to get this kite RIGHT...  The NG part is because the old Widow was almost totally revamped.  He worked the bugs out of the bridle and I agree.  Fly's better on different line set. 75#-100# 100'... Jorge is going to end up a Sky Burner yet.  Jorge have you ever flown a Widow Maker Huh 

Tony has spent hours making sure everything was teewked.  If one were to guess... It seems a Lot of EFFORT to making a $160 kite as perfect as possible.  That Proto went through a lot of flying. 

Best part Jorge..if you just want to chat with him Jon T is a phone call away.  I am sure he'd like to hear what you think of the kite.  Or if you have a problem with the kite... It's the best part of buying American Made.  He is available always.  Also helps the economy...

He is also one of the most respected in the business ... We are lucky he lives here...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:54 AM »

I actually didn't do anything to it.  Jon sent me one to test out put since I did work on the solus.  I put it through its paces, tried a few small adjustments to see if anything improved and found it didn't need anything except changes that would make it a WM and take it out of the intended target market section.  The Budget performer class of kites as I like to call them Smiley
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:24 PM »

Don't add any weight to the tail until you learn it first. The kite is fine as is but benefits from a better line set. I flew the final prototype for a couple months evaluating it side by side with a WM and trying many tweaks to make improvements but ended up right where Jon had it set.  I can tell you it performs so close to the WM that I couldn't find any way to improve it other than turn it into a WM with a nylon sail.  Toss a WM bridle on it, add a leech line and you end up with a WM with a bit higher low end wind range. Thats how close it is. Jon already has the tail weight maxed for what the kite benefits from but lowering it can make the kite less spongy.  I fly mine with the stock 16g most of the time but drop it to 10 when I want less tail spin and crisper performance.  I've been planning a vid of it but need a better camera (one that works at least Tongue )

You are right about getting to know the kite first. In my video I was flying it with choppy wind conditions and I'm impressed how this kite handled it without a problem (way better than any of my other kites.)

Also want to fly it in smother wind conditions (new video coming soon.)

Don't Get me wrong about the tail weight.  I just want to see how it behaves by changing the CG of the kite (the same way I've done with my other kites). I love how my Widow NG flies.

Bridles I don't like to modify...  (only tow points with the presets that comes standard with the kite for wind adjustments)

I can't say anything about the WM (never flown one) I'm sure it must fly better than the WNG.

Soon I'll find out what this kite is capable off.

Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 12:04 PM »

Nylon has always been better at handling bumpy winds.  The extra give that makes it a bit slushy helps smooth out gusts.
Captainbob

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 07:26 AM »

I'm a newbie a flying kites, have a couple of Revs and a Niknak for low wind days. I am looking for another dual line kite, not for tricking, but flying precision patterns, and such. I am wondering if the Widow NG would be a suitable kite for this type flying, or is it mainly designed for tricking only? 

Bob

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 08:05 AM »

I'm a newbie a flying kites, have a couple of Revs and a Niknak for low wind days. I am looking for another dual line kite, not for tricking, but flying precision patterns, and such. I am wondering if the Widow NG would be a suitable kite for this type flying, or is it mainly designed for tricking only? 

Bob

Hi Bob:

I mostly fly tricks with my kites and most of my kites are design for tricks. Normally Precision based kites are not that good with tricks and trick based kites are not that good with precision.

With the new kite Generations many companies are focusing an kites designs that can do both.

The newer kites that are meant for precision can do some tricking to. Try looking for team flying kites too

The best way is to try the kite and see if you like it.

hope this can help you look for a precision kite.
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:27 AM »

Jon is a pretty versitile flyer and his kites are designed that way.  They don't really Excel at precision or tricking but bring a good balance of both.  They can be flown to excel at one or the other with a bit of skill and minor adjusting but out of the bag  they are well balanced for both.
Captainbob

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 01:28 PM »

Jon is a pretty versitile flyer and his kites are designed that way.  They don't really Excel at precision or tricking but bring a good balance of both.  They can be flown to excel at one or the other with a bit of skill and minor adjusting but out of the bag  they are well balanced for both.

I guess that answers my question. I just wanted to make sure that the Widow NG was able to do the basic patterns like figure 8's, square corners, circles, straight lines, etc.. Not looking to excel in anything, just to do some relaxed flying like I can do pretty well with my Niknak. 

Thanks,

Bob

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Ca Ike

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 06:31 PM »

It can be as loose or crisp in precision as you want it to be.  Taking out the tail weight makes precision a lot better IMO.
Captainbob

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:14 AM »

It can be as loose or crisp in precision as you want it to be.  Taking out the tail weight makes precision a lot better IMO.

Thanks for your help.  Just ordered a Red one from www.kitesandfunthings.com

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
vertigo2u

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:14 AM »

Going to the Kite Store today... probably going to take a Widow home with me and play....  Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document