GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Questions  (Read 1715 times)
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 10, 2014, 06:48 AM »

i have been flying a 9 foot delta for about two years now, which i am very comfortable with, and can handle it quite easily even at high altitudes of 800-900 feet,

i am thinking about going a bit bigger this year to maybe 12 or 16 feet,

i have read a few posts here and there that seem to indicate a 16 foot pulls pretty hard and is hard to handle, i want a kite i can fly without tieing it off/down, i never tie my current kite down, i just fly it,

would a 16 foot be too hard to handle without tieing it down?

i am in canada, where is a good place to buy kites like this? i bought my 9 foot off ebay, but i rarely see 12 or 16 footers on there,

also, what size line would i need for a 12 or 16 footer? i am currently using 150 pound, so im assuming i will need something stronger if i upgrade,
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36 AM »

Hi Mickey,

I fly a 12 ft. Sun Oak delta and that kite is a handful in much over 10 mph, it's a moderate pull at lower winds but when you hit the teens... "for-get-about-it". That is unless you want a serious work out. I hand fly the 12 on 150 # line in light winds but would move up to a stronger line for high altitudes or moderate winds.

This kite likes to have something to hold it back a bit when the winds pick up other wise it wants to "over-fly".

Can't put a big kite up that high here in the states without asking for trouble... Wink
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:36 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Mikey1

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:43 AM »

thanks for the reply,

i know what you mean by going too high, i fly my kite near a lake where there are other people walking by, but its not too busy,

i am not sure what the laws are here, but if anybody asks how high it is i say "im not too sure" just to cover myself, i never give a specific number,

i have never been approached by anybody saying its too high, these people are simply curious about the kite, and impressed, i often have it 800 feet at least,

so im thinking about going with a 12 foot and 300 pound line, that should be strong enough? i only fly in very light winds, but im always paranoid about my line, or the connector to the kite snapping  Huh
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:46 AM by Mikey1 » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:27 AM »

Here's the gospel according to Peter Lynn on SLK safety.

http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-s.html

As a wise man one said "Learn it, Know it, Live it".   Smiley

A 12' Delta needs to be treated with respect.  Worth the effort, though.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:29 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Mikey1

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37 AM »

thanks for the info,

what do you guys use to attach your kite line to the kite?

i am currently using something that looks like a fishing lure leader, i dont think it will be strong enough for a 12 footer, what do you recommend?
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:03 PM »

Keep in mind that while you might have 800' of line I seriously doubt that the kite is straight above you at that height.... The line will be at an angle so you might actually be around 400-500 vertical ...

I only fly now on ~200' long line for most of my kites....I like being able to see the details!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33 PM »

Larks head the line to the kite. You can Google this. It eliminates possible hardware failure from the equation.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:32 PM »

https://www.gkites.com/howtofly/Larkshead.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
whitebirdlover

Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22 PM »

Larks head the line to the kite. You can Google this. It eliminates possible hardware failure from the equation.

+1  I have a short pigtail of heavier flight line on the bridle tow point and attach flying lines via larkshead.

Anthony
Lee S

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:53 PM »

My usual guide regarding hand fly vs. anchor flying a kite goes a bit like this. Look at the required or intended line weight. Then step on a scale. If line weight exceeds your personal weight, then that kite can take you out if hand flown. At the very least, it can force you into a situation where your options are let go or get dragged. This is not a happy place. So, I anchor anything over 200# line weight.  Also, on larger kites, I usually fly with the next stronger available line strength above what's recommended. I just like the additional margin of safety, and large kites can handle the weight. There are great suggestions on anchoring on the links others have mentioned.

As for larger delta kites, you will find all sorts of nice ones on the links scrolling just to the right of this very column. Into the Wind has many to choose from.

Fly safe Smiley
Mikey1

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:08 AM »

thanks for the info,

i really only fly in very light winds, i can handle the 9 foot no problem and im a pretty strong guy, so im quite confident i can handle the 12 footer, but will of course be very cautious,

i am planning on going with 500 pound line, which i realize is overkill, its not alot more money, and at least i know i will be safe, and i can still use it in the future if i ever go bigger  Grin
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36 PM »

Just be careful, and don't forget the gloves.  Like an idiot, I put up an 8 foot rok at a festival last year because I was going to do some KAP, and I hadn't anchored it well first because I planned to hand fly and walk it down the beach.  Unfortunately, my gloves were just out of reach . . . . and I could barely hold the line and keep it from playing out as there was more wind than I thought when I was setting it up.  I was lucky and didn't lose any skin, and managed to bring the kite back down with some help. 

I was at another event last year, and a medium size kite (not mine) broke free of the anchor in a gust.  The owner chased it down, but lost skin off a couple fingers through line burns when he grabbed it without gloves (to avoid having it end up in Lake Michigan). 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:40 PM by goestoeleven » Logged
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:28 PM »

Just be careful, and don't forget the gloves. 

Not just gloves!  This is what a small 9' delta on 100 lb line did to me last weekend

When it happened I could have kicked myself for being so stupid... except I thought my foot might fall off  Embarrassed

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Tmadz

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Thank goodness you can still kick yourself.

I usually anchor all of my SLK's. Someone on this forum put it a good way. I paraphrase: Since the kite costs way more than the line, buy strong enough line so that the kite never gets away.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26 AM »

Thank goodness you can still kick yourself.

I usually anchor all of my SLK's.

Mine was anchored. Like I said... stupid   Embarrassed

I went to step over the line near the anchor point and tripped over it.  In the effort to NOT fall on my face I rolled sideways, thus wrapping the line around my ankle.  Just as I went to loosen the loop around my ankle a strong gust came along.

3 feet to the right and I would have walked AROUND the anchor point  Cry

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change