GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Questions  (Read 1867 times)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:47 AM »

Mine was anchored. Like I said... stupid   Embarrassed

I went to step over the line near the anchor point and tripped over it.  In the effort to NOT fall on my face I rolled sideways, thus wrapping the line around my ankle.  Just as I went to loosen the loop around my ankle a strong gust came along.

3 feet to the right and I would have walked AROUND the anchor point  Cry

NOT a smart thing to do. Unfortunately I've had to deal with my share of industrial accidents. My father was an industrial safety professional that beat it into me as well. It only takes one second of lapse in judgement to hurt someone. You'd be amazed at the stupid things people have done because "nothing'll happen"
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 06:30 AM »

Another thought - you have to think about sail area when you are thinking of hand flying. 

A 9ft delta has about 20-21 sq ft of sail, assuming the height of the kite is half the base width.  A 12 ft has about 36 sq ft - so a bit less than double the sail area of the 9ft kite.  A 16ft delta is probably about 64 sq ft of sail area - or more than three times the lift of the 9 footer you hand fly, so it will probably generate quite a bit more lift.  19 feet, and you're at roughly 90 sq ft of sail.  For sails that large, you're not (usually) cranking them down - you are walking down the line and then winding up the line once the kite is on the ground.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 06:50 AM »

19 feet, and you're at roughly 90 sq ft of sail.  For sails that large, you're not (usually) cranking them down - you are walking down the line and then winding up the line once the kite is on the ground.

While the same type of kite in a larger size will generate more lift, it's not exactly proportionate to the increase in size. For example, more lift will usually mean a higher flying angle which usually reduces pull. For a kite with  design such as a Rok the size is almost proportionate to the size based on it's design but for delta it's much less so.

You touch other issues as well, such as winding line while the kite is under power. While a winding reel will avoid several issues, it can still make a mess of the line.

Would I fly a 19' delta by hand? Nope. But holding any kite to fly it is not something I like to do. But everyone is different and should do what they like to do.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum