GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Types Of Kite Line  (Read 1517 times)
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 15, 2014, 10:01 AM »

which is the best kind of kite line to go with?

i have always used kevlar in the past which has worked well, im buying new line for a new kite, should i stick with the kevlar?

i see most kite shops selling dacron and polyester,

what are the pros and cons of them all?

thanks,
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08 AM »

single line?
sport kites?

multi line kites benefit from lines that are low stretch and slippery....you want a Spectra or Dyneema line set here....
Kevlar used to be used for sport kites but with the non-slippery part and the danger factor they are not used much anymore....

single line you want a durable line....it can stretch or not as that does not matter....you will find people flying single line kites on Spectra, Dyneema, Polyester, Dacron, Nylon, Cotton, Kevlar and other types of lines that have differing cores and sheaths....this is up to you....the Kevlar and Cotton lines are the MOST abrasive to tissue and other lines...so do not cross lines with another kite and then yank because both cotton and kevlar will easily cut the other line...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mikey1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24 AM »

thanks for the info,

i should have specified its for a single line large delta kite,

i fly alone, so other kites are out of the question,

i have read that kevlar does not last long because of UV sun rays, do you think this is true?
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 05:12 PM »

Friends don't let friends fly with Kevlar.

I'd recommend polyester line for single line kites (don't use twisted line). Poly does have some stretch which is what you want for SLKs. This way the line absorbs gusts by stretching a little and then returns back. So it acts as a type spring.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29 PM »

Ditto the comment on skipping kevlar (at least if you ever fly around others). 

And . . . I believe Dacron is a type or brand name of polyester.  I'd recommend braided dacron line for an SLK.

How big is big?  The size of the kite determines what strength you need.  I usually fly my 19ft deltas on 500lb braided dacron.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24 AM »

IIRC Dacron is a Dupont brand name but has kind of become a generic term, like Kleenex for facial tissues.

I use braided dacron (no cap Wink  ) for my SLKs. As mentioned, it will stretch and absorb gusts and is easier to work with than thinner Spectra. You said larger deltas -- I use 500 pound for my 19 footers, 300 for 16s, 100-200 for ~10s, etc. Look at the manufacturers rating for the kite, adjust for the wind speed, and go from there.

I should also say that dacron's also lots less expensive that spectra.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:26 AM by MtnFlyer » Logged

Bob
Mikey1

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06 AM »

thanks for the info,

i am going to go with 500 pound dacron or polyester,

im going to buy the riviera highlighter from ITW, but still debating wether to buy the 12 or 16 footer,

i realize 500 pound is overkill, but i want to be sure there is no way this thing is going to come loose on me, and its nice to have in case i ever want to go bigger in the future,

im leaning toward the 12 footer, but i know what im like and by next year i will want a 16.....LOL  Grin
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13 AM »

Pretty much any line someone uses is "over kill" but only if considered on actual pull. What also needs to be considered is wear on the line, abrasions, ease of handling, peace of mind etc. All of this factors into your thought of "over kill". We all do that. It's just good practice. You could get by with good 200 line, 300 would be better and 500 adds in a lot of peace of mind.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 03:54 PM »

If you are an altitude junkie then kevlar is your choice as it is the best ratio of strength to thickness. Resulting in less drag and weight to lift. But you must take care. The line running will act like a serrated blade on your hand.

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Mikey1

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:09 AM »

thanks,

i am a bit of an altitude junkie, when i fly my 9 foot i quite often have 800-900 feet of line out there,

i have a large heavy duty reel, so i never really have to handle or touch my line with my hands, in two years of flying i dont recall ever having to do so,

so maybe i should stick with the kevlar?

i attached a pic of my reel, it has a retractable post that sticks out about 4 inches, which makes reeling the kite in very easy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change