GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help design original sail pattern? Now closed.  (Read 2930 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: April 19, 2014, 04:29 PM »

Something I thought might be fun is if we tried a little collaborative designing.  (This is for the fun of it, and I certainly understand if no one feels like contributing).  Below is a blank template of an Essence (traced from a pic of the same kite in it's assembled form, so it is true to the real thing).  If you are interested and capable, please feel free to submit a sail pattern of your own creation.  If enough patterns get submitted, I will then run a poll to see what the forum likes the best.  If the pattern looks feasible (within the realm of my ability to adapt it to the plans). I will build one extra kite to be granted to the designer (colors of the winning design to be custom within the selection of fabric I have on hand).

Designs can be submitted publicly in the thread, or to me personally via email or private message (should the contributor wish to remain anonymous).

The small print is:
*I work on an extremely slow timeline, so it could be months (and months) before the kite is finished.
*Only two of these kites will ever be produced... mine and the winner's (unless permission is granted by the artist, who will retain copyrights of the graphic beyond the scope of this project)
*cost of shipping will need to be covered by the recipient. 
*winning custom kite will include a storage sleeve, but otherwise be without accessories.
*I will respect requests to have any design eliminated from the running under the premise of copyright infringement (i.e., if you submit a graphic that too closely mimics an existing kite, and it is brought to my attention, the design will be removed from the running).
*I think 10 will be the minimum number of entries for me to then post a poll. (10 different designers... no limit on how many one person can submit, but there must be at least 10 people who have contributed)
*If the winning design needs to be altered to accommodate building, I will do so in collaboration with the artist.
*Other than the previously mentioned cost of shipping, no money will be exchanged.

So, if that isn't too restrictive, feel free to start submitting.

Update*Some great designs coming in.  We are now at 10 contributors (many designs, but 10 separate artists).  The submission process will end tomorrow evening (Sunday April 27) at 8:00 p.m. (Pacific Daylight Time).

Any designs that come in after that time will not be included in the poll, which will be started sometime later in the week.  I will take all the designs and turn them into a black and white line drawing (basically a blank color template).

For the poll, I will include the line drawing and the original color submission (if you submitted multiple color schemes for your sail pattern, I will choose the first of your submitted options unless otherwise notified).*

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:07 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Cool!

Can you add center T and upper spreader rub spot locations?

Allen, AKA kitehead
sugarbaker

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:39 PM »

Will this work? Also note the addition of one rule... the 10 design minimum to run the poll must be from separate designers.  (no limit on how many one person can contribute, but if only one person submits 10 separate designs, thats a no-go until 9 others participate)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:44 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:58 PM »

Here's my entry, although it's on an Elixir:

Although they look straight, the panels would have to be curved when sewn and flat.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
sugarbaker

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:19 PM »

John, thanks for your addition.  I've seen your design in other threads.  As you mentioned, it would be quite a task to get the lines to look straight... No matter how you compensate on the flat sail, the assembled kite would never look straight from every angle. 

That being said, I like the idea of parallel lines and patterns. 
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:31 AM »

I've always wanted to see something like this...

Not knowing much about making kites, I don't know how difficult it would be to make.

sugarbaker

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:05 AM »

Rob, thanks for the design.  Very "dark side of the moon" ish.  It would not be too hard to replicate... Obtaining prismatic fabric might be hard. It could be pulled off using clear mylar.  Also remember that the spine would show through any white or clear fabric.

fidelio

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:38 PM »

F¡deli°
sugarbaker

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:01 PM »

Fidelio looking to give me a run for my money... Some appliqué work.

Keep in mind that a winning design would be built from colors I have on hand, which can be limited.  Others should feel free to explore colorless designs that can be adapted.  I'm not opposed to color specific but also want to do what is possible.  Anyway, keep them coming.  I have some via email from contributors that wish to remain anonymous for now.  I'll post those designs this week.
fidelio

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:42 PM »

if that one's too complicated, here ya go.  Tongue

F¡deli°
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:54 PM »

Are you trying to give additional meaning to the term

lower spreaders?

sugarbaker

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:56 PM »

First anonymous contributor design

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 05:47 PM »

When Marty Sasaki introduced his "new" Katana, he asked Mickey Mackay (spelling?)

to come up with a sail pattern. Mickey came up with an elegant 12 panel layout.

Mickey's asymmetric Mamba is still the most beautiful Mamba in my opinion.

He had an amazing eye for pattern elegance.

Later, when Marty wanted to make a larger version, he asked the Forum for assistance.

I started with the regular Katana pattern and added a 3rd row for 18 panels. The kite

was never made (Marty passed), but here is what it might look like. You could think of

the panel layout as a tip of the hat to both Mickey and Marty.  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:50 PM by chilese » Logged

DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 05:48 PM »

Sugarbaker, thats a very generous and fun idea, so I'll throw my hat in as well.  

I've wanted to make a kite based on the design seen on the underside of the Snowbirds (Canadian Air Force Air Demonstration Team).

So heres my submission.  I've kept all the lines straight for ease of construction.  

Turns out there are lots of other patterns that can be seen within the design.

I even got a lighthouse theme out of it Wink

Possibly some venting options as well

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 05:51 PM »

DMF: Sweet.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document