GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 05:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to freestyle tricks  (Read 920 times)
Ordicahn
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 23, 2014, 04:23 PM »

I know this question has been asked repeatedly, I've read most of the posts.

I've recently been introduced to dual line kiting and within minutes was hooked! Since then I've been flying a seahawk form kittyhawk kites, was a gift for a roommate from his grandparents, to my luck he left it behind and now I'm starting a new hobby.

Unfortunately this thing needs a good wind to stay up, and even then trying any tricks sends it falling like a rock.

Now I'm looking at some entry level freestyle kites, several have curb appeal but I want to hear from experienced flyers, not sales pitches. What would you recommend?
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:04 PM »

What is your budget like?
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Not every stunt kite can do tricks.

I have tried many types of kites some are better than others. and normally the best ones are the the ones with high price tags. Sad

I just added a Widow NG kite in my collection.

It can do all types of tricks. very strong Carbon fiber frame. Great wind range.

The kite performs very well compared with the higher price competitors.  Smiley

Its made by Premier Kites.

Hope this helps you
Here is a video of me flying it:

Premier Widow NG Test 1

Premier Widow NG 2014

Ordicahn

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:21 PM »

My budget is roughly 150$, but I definitely want something that I won't out grow in a matter of seasons.
trigger

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23 PM »

I think the widow is a great deal! it is the brother from another mother (same Father)of the famed Widowmaker.

I really enjoyed my Prism Zephyr for light wind(3+) tricking.

My goto kite right now is Lams ATM.

One thing to remember is not to start with a Sul or some ULs.  They have less mass and are more difficult to trick because of it.  I love my Ocius SUL for 1mph days! I just zoom around, try a trick and then walk out to untangle the tip wraps.  I have not mastered the gentle persuasion of tricking SULs.

Good winds to ya!
trigger

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30 PM »

just to warn you now....

you will have multiple kites at minimum for different wind speeds.  Soon you will know the location of every flag in a 20mile radius. Based on those flags, you will know which kite to fly that day.

when you cant fly your baby because the wind is too low, you will buy an SUL just so you can fly.  When the wind is 20+ you may discover a full vent Rev gets you out flying with maximum control.

see ya on the field!
missionview

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:30 PM »

A $150 budget for the first kite is a good budget. However, be sure to save for the many kites that will follow.....
The Premier Widow NG looks like a great kite, and I wish I would have bought one of those for my first kite.

Robert
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:01 AM »

If you're past the "Nose Plant" stage there are those (including me) that feel an enthusiastic Newbie would be best served moving on to the, Exile, Sea Devil, Widowmaker stage and save some money in the long run.

Get together with some other flyers and try out some kites, keep your eye on the Swap Meet.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Ordicahn

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 05:52 AM »

Not quite past the abuse portion, lines tangled on wings, hard landings and such. Not to many nose dives anymore.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:44 PM »

THEN what Cerfvollista recommended Welcome to the forum and the madness we like to call flying  kites

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change