GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blemish PT Carbon Tubes  (Read 612 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: April 28, 2014, 07:36 PM »

Has anyone tried the blemish PT carbon tubes from Kite and Fun Things?  They are 50% less expensive than the regular one, but not sure if the difference is just the cosmetic flaw.  I plan to buy a few 2PT for the lower spreaders, but do not want to see them broken in the first flight.

Rudy
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:01 PM »

Purely Cosmetic in my experience.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04 PM »

It's my understanding that Jon keeps the really bad blems for prototype duty.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:16 PM »

I've not noticed any difference in structure. Most of the blems I bought just something like a light white "scrape" down the tube. Truly cosmetic.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
coop
Trade Count: (+25)

Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 04:36 AM »

I buy blems from him all the time. Never had an issue.

Coop
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:44 AM »

I've used them.  Slight cosmetic flaws only.  I don't mind so much when I break one now.  Cheesy

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:23 AM »

Thats pretty much what I'll put in all my kites so others can have the pretty ones. Only cosmetic flaws! They're super great tubes. Some BARELY have a flaw and if you're lucky can be cut off when you cut a tube down to size.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:14 PM »

Great experiences here. If cosmetics are a problem..... Use longer lines Smiley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 09:46 PM »

That white scrape actually appears to be the remnants of the camo paint from arrow rejects. First time I got some of those I was worried thinking something was wrong with the wrap but on close inspection you could see the camo design in the stripe. Arrows have to be very straight to be accurate but a couple thousands out of straight won't have an adverse effect on our kites. I'm guessing they stick those rejects back into the centerless grinder to remove most of the paint for Jon while still giving him a great discount on what would otherwise be waste. Good for them, good for us.

I have seen a few blems where the carbon had visibly bunched during the wrap or something. Some manufacturers have bought the blems and used them in production kites, one of those broke for little reason once on me. One weak blem out of 100 is pretty good odds.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:14 PM »

Just to clarify...the small wrapped ridges you see on the outside of the rod is from the clear cellophane tape used to wrap around the rod before baking the resin and carbon.  The carbon used to lay up skyshark rods comes in one full sheet the same size as the length of the rod and is wrapped around a mandrel to make the carbon rod (Like a carpet roll).  The amount of times the sheet is wrapped around the mandrel will determine the strength of the rod - more wraps, more strength.  There are some special things and processes that are done to the rods during the wrap which will separate the quality and strength of a Skyshark rod compared to a Chinese cheapo rod.

Most people think the rods are made up of a thin strip of carbon fiber wrapped in layers starting at an angle from one end of the rod and going to the other - but this is not the case.  The full length of the rod is wrapped all at once and is smooth.  The ridges are from the resin (glue) that is squeezed out by the tape - which is wrapped at an angle from one end to the other.  You can sand the ridges off and make the rod smooth without any adverse effect to the strength of the rod. Once the rod has been baked in an oven to set the resin, the clear tape is removed, leaving the ridges.

Just some useless info for ya'll.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum