GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite length of lines ?  (Read 824 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 29, 2014, 01:57 AM »

hi guys,
just wanted your thoughts on what length lines you all like to use ?
i suppose the longer the lines you have more time to react to recover and shorter lines make the kite seem to fly faster is that sort of correct ?
im not really into many tricks,just more flying around the wind window!
getting the pro dancer kite soon first then will buy a widow maker later on after that due to the inland,hilly,unruly crap up and down winds or lack of winds at times that is!
is there much difference in performance between cheap and expensive lines when it comes to performance ?
if i like to just mainly fly around the wind window,would longer lines be more suited r.e perf and flying enjoyment ?
thanks
glen
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:59 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:31 AM »

If space is not an issue, then yes, the longer the better.  The longer the lines means the bigger the wind window which allows you to do more stuff.  My favorite line set is 90#/110ft and I sometimes use 90#/120ft.

Rudy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:38 AM by rudyy » Logged
Captainbob

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:46 AM »

You may want to have one set of short lines also, for flying in very light winds, like 50 ft. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:52 AM »

I carry 50' to 125' in 10-15' increments depending on field size and what I'm flying.  65' to 85' is most typical.  90# line most of the time.  150# in bigger winds and sometimes 50# in the lightest breezes.   My lines are kite grade spectra (Laser Pro and Shanti) though some use the newer non stretch fishing lines.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:58 AM »

As mentioned, the real difference is the size of the wind window. Longer lines = larger wind window. But this also means you need more room. It's usually more of a personal preference.

IMHO (many will disagree) there is very little difference between inexpensive and more expensive spectra line for dual line kites. I have some $4.00 lines that have lasted for about 10 years now. Some lines are more "slick" and better for wraps but the difference is slight. This is not to say that more expensive line does not have it's place... it certainly does. It only means that in many cases inexpensive line is just fine. I usually buy bulk and make my own lines. It's not difficult.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:29 AM »

For pairs and team, demos, etc I use 125' skybond for everything.
For trick demos, general enjoyment, etc I use 100' skybond only in 90lb and 175lb.
For my favorite flying which is in about .5 mph I'll use 50lb 75foot (sometimes 50/50) speed or skybond.
Streetkiting I have 50lb 30',25',23',15',13'.
Indoor I have 50lb and 30lb 18',15',13',11',10'.

If you're just into flying then 100 and 125 foot are the name of the game. I do like the shorter 50lb lines for super light wind though.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55 AM »

It's somewhat kite dependent for me, but also field related. I fly my favorite, what I call, mid-size kites like the Midis and PBSKs pretty much exclusively on 75' lines. I fly the full size Mambas, Prophecys and Reactors almost always on 100' lines. The bigger kites just need the room to roam. Many of the places I fly are just to small, or have too many people around, to zoom through a huge window of sky like I'd like to, and the 75' lines come out most often. 90# on the smaller kites or in light wind, 150# on the bigger ones.

If I had big enough fields regularly I'd probably fly the big kites on 120' lines.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:13 PM »

Depends on the kite i'm flying and the locations.
Ranging from indoor 18 over speed kites outdoor at 116.6 to relaxed flying at 250'
SparkieRob

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36 PM »

100 feet. Haven't really gotten along with short lines on my duals.

Now my Revs are a different story...

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:43 PM »

90 lb X 85 ft. Most of the time.  100 ft to 120 ft if we're team flying.

I can't remember the last time I used 150 lb test. I do use 50 lb test sometimes.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30 PM »

30m
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 03:51 AM »

depending on the kite (I'm a quad-head)
~ the Zen prefers long lines, even for 3D stuff, throws of 90 feet are consistent and I can catch 120s
50# LPG, 90# LPG or Skybond 100#.  It's huge and does everything slowly, like driving a bus with a big ole steering wheel.  My rigged-out custom can take double digit breezes, penetrates squirrelly winds and fights thru turbulence, plus it flies in an absolute dead calm without working hard when the need arises.

~1.5 SUL anything from 120s to 45 feet (90 LPG or 100 Skybond)
~street-kiting 20 to 30 feet
~indoors from 6 feet to 35 depending on how restrictive the ceiling is (orcon custom w/ longish bridle)

I use a different bridle and sissy sticks on all of my kites, even indoor stuff

Practice 3D stuff on longer lines, so when you need to show-off it's much easier.   Going from 85 feet to 55 seems unfair, the kite magically returns to your hand and effortlessly floats out to the ends of the lines.

Each kite has a length it seems most in tune with,... Shook mesh kites are thrilling on 85-100 feet.  Long enough to draw figures in precision and short enough t0 flail around madman-style.
kite_pilot

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 01:57 AM »

hi all guys,
thanks for your thoughts,tips recomenadtions!
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 02:50 PM »

The perfect length for kite line is one that perfectly fits

between the straps and the kite's tow points.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03 AM »

my favorite flying is monster kites and putting multiple line sets together , about 250' , of course only in safe locations , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change