GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help finding a replacement LE connector  (Read 1847 times)
kitekrazy
Trade Count: (0)
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:43 PM »

I have an old Nuclear Reactor and one of the LE connectors split.
It's framed with the old Skyshark 5Ps or 7Ps that are non tapered.

I'm not found of the LE connectors that are on there to begin with. I don't have charts anymore of those rod diameters.

I'm hoping someone could recommend replacement LE that I can order from GWTW since there are other stuff I need to order.

TIA!

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35 PM »

Steve knows exactly what you need.

All my Reactors have APA LE fittings. The original fittings didn't last. I don't know the APA numbers. There's one that's fairly loose, so easy to get over the build up at the end of the rods. Another is kinda tight, but I  lubricate the spar a bit a force it into place.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:49 PM »

A little dish washing liquid makes it a lot easier.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:01 AM »

APA D's should work.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:10 PM »

APA "D" works but it's a bit too large. I think that APA "C" works better with 5P and 7P spars.

All my old SkyShark fittings (Leading Edge connectors, Center-T, Standoff connectors, Stopper clips) are gone to the trash... Wink

These pieces are found on Spectra Sport kites, Trick-Tail, some TOTL North Shore Radical and Prism Total Eclipse too.

Change all them before you get a hole in the sail if a connector is breaking by fly !  Cheesy

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:05 PM by Tataouine » Logged
kitekrazy
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:26 PM »

APA "D" works but it's a bit too large. I think that APA "C" works better with 5P and 7P spars.

All my old SkyShark fittings (Leading Edge connectors, Center-T, Standoff connectors, Stopper clips) are gone to the trash... Wink

These pieces are found on Spectra Sport kites, Trick-Tail, some TOTL North Shore Radical and Prism Total Eclipse too.

Change all them before you get a hole in the sail if a connector is breaking by fly !  Cheesy

Are you sure about Cs?  Maybe I'll buy both. Replaceing a LE connector is my least favorite thing to do. This might be a Winter Project. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:33 PM by kitekrazy » Logged
kitekrazy
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:45 PM »

This happened from having 10-12 kites in a bag. I'm getting another kite bag. It seems like LE connectors that are not APA always suck.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:58 AM »

Are you sure about Cs?  Maybe I'll buy both. Replaceing a LE connector is my least favorite thing to do. This might be a Winter Project.

APA "D" works but it's a bit to large and you'll have to put before some tape around the Leading Edge SkyShark 5P spars.

I prefer the APA "C".

You have just to immerse them a few seconds into boiling water and they are then very easy to install. APA's are not damaged with boiling water. Their "right" size comes again when they are cold...

They fit perfectly.

For the Standoff connectors and the wingtips of your Nuclear Reactor, you can use APA .250 and again boiling water...

APA .312 works too, are easiest to install, but you have to put tape on the right and on the left of the standoff connector. Not good IMHO.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:44 PM by Tataouine » Logged
kitekrazy
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 01:56 PM »

I used the D. It was an easy job and I didn't have to take the rods out of the sail.

Next step is to get some kite glue (I shoulda ordered that).  One of those stops on the standoffs came lose. Great kite but lousy hardware. Those standoffs are a dumb design.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:06 PM »

Those standoffs are a dumb design.

In the context for which the kite was designed, those standoffs are brilliant.

For anything other than early '90s style team flying they are a PITA. My primary Reactor Pro has had fixed standoffs for several years now and I've gotten used to it, but it is a tradeoff. I made some fancy sliding tube standoffs that left the back of the sail clean, but they weren't durable enough. Now it's just normal Jaco fittings. I melted out the TE holes to fit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kitehead/Reactors#

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change