GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 10:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinda new, need a little help please :)  (Read 849 times)
tizdaz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 30, 2014, 04:04 PM »

Hi guys Smiley

I've been thinking of taking the plunge & getting a Stunt Kite, im fairly new to the hobby but i have flown stunt kites in the past (dual line) so im not a total newbie.

Anyway I want something thats gunna put a big smile on face, im an adrenaline junky so to speak!

What i want is a stunt kite (dual line not quad) that is big & has alot of pull (as i say above...im a bit of an adrenaline junky!) also summit thats able to cope with high wind speeds for the times im at seafronts etc but also because I like a challenge. Also my budge is around 150 to 200 tops.

so after some research the only that seems to fit the bill is this one: HQ Fazer XL

Im pretty sure theres more out there but this is only 1 i can seem to find that seems a decent size & decent price & the reviews ive read have been positive Smiley

Any ideas guys/gals & thanks in advance! Smiley

Daz!

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:20 PM »

Big
Lots of pull
Flies in high winds

Perhaps you'd like a foil.

They come in 2 line varieties, not just 4.

You didn't mention tricks, so maybe a foil is in your future.

Smiley

Welcome to the Forum.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tizdaz

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:37 PM »

hi chilese Smiley

Thanks for reply.. my bad as i forgot to mention that i would also like to do some tricks etc Smiley
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 04:49 PM »

For a full size, intermediate level kite it's hard to beat the Prism Hypnotist. Very durable, does all kinds of tricks, is pretty big (8') and can pull hard.

Anything bigger than 8' at lower price points results in a kite that is more suited to power flying than modern trick flying. This is the case with the Fazer XL. Seems like a nice kite, but more for zooming around. Fun, but a bit limiting.

There are big tricky kites, but I don't know of any in a modest price range.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tizdaz

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:28 PM »

hey Smiley

i think i will prefer more power flying than stunts, although i would still like to have the option of doing simple stunts, so would the HQ Fazer XL be ideal Smiley ?

Also the HQ Fazer XL doesn't come with line, so if i was to get this it says Recommended line: 140 kp (310 Ib), whats a decent quality dual line set to get that's ready to go? & is 50m length a good choice?

Thanks again guys Smiley

...im getting all excited now lol! ..last time i flown a kite was a few years ago & i still remember the *buzz* when flying it Cheesy Cant remember exactly what it was, but think it was a Prism dual line stunt kite, wasnt very big (think no more than 1.5m span) but it had a nice pull when the wind picked up Smiley

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:31 PM by tizdaz » Logged
tgeorgo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:18 AM »

I think a SkyBurner Widowmaker is almost in your budget. I have a dozen kites, some factory some small kite maker and the WM is in a class of its own. When the wind blows it will pull and get your heart pumping but it can trick to the limits of your skill and beyond. When you compare what you get for your money I am surprised that it doesn't cost double what it does especially compared to some of the other kites I have bought. I have also been surprised at what a beating it can take. I have crashed it hard a bunch of times and thought oh crap I am buying some carbon for sure. But nothing yet, knock on wood. This has not been the case for a bunch of others.

Anyway I basically cannot say enough good things about this kite.

Aloha,
T
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 01:46 AM »

Hi Daz, welcome to the forum from a fellow Brit!

So you want a kite that will do some tricks and pull you around the beach...thats a tricky one.

Most trick kites are designed to work in maybe 5-15 mph and don't like strong winds.

High wind kites like the Fazer will pull you around but won't really do tricks ( you can sort of do tricks with them but it isn't easy).

As you've probably probably found out the choice of kites and kite shops in the UK is very limited ( and import from America costs an arm & leg in import taxes).

If you want to fly big winds - 20mph+ - then you may need to consider 2 kites, a dedicated trick kite and a high wind kite. If you can compromise on the high winds then there are some options. I'm not recommending any particular kite here, just giving you a few to think about.

Prism Quantum - Big, strong, will do some tricks and pulls like a truck in 15-20mph. Comes ready to fly with lines.

Prism Hypnotist - a bit more tricky than the Quantum and may not have quite as much pull also comes RTF.

HQ Maestro 2  - Nice trick kite ( i have one) that gives a good pull over 15mph. RTF.

The above 3 will do what you are looking for up to around 20mph ish winds.

If you wanted to go for the 2 kite option there are other trick kites - I won't list them now - but for an alternative high wind kite you want to look at the HQ Delta Hawk. Don't be fooled by it's small - 160cm - size, at 20mph it will try and pull your arms off, at 30mph it will drag you around the field/beach and it's lightning fast. I use 220lb lines with mine! put 2 in a stack and you'll end up looking like Mr Tickle!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kite_pilot

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:53 AM »

I think a SkyBurner Widowmaker is almost in your budget. I have a dozen kites, some factory some small kite maker and the WM is in a class of its own. When the wind blows it will pull and get your heart pumping but it can trick to the limits of your skill and beyond. When you compare what you get for your money I am surprised that it doesn't cost double what it does especially compared to some of the other kites I have bought. I have also been surprised at what a beating it can take. I have crashed it hard a bunch of times and thought oh crap I am buying some carbon for sure. But nothing yet, knock on wood. This has not been the case for a bunch of others.

Aloha,
T
i second that about the widow maker.
im getting the pro dancer first then the widow maker and see how that goes first up!
good luck with your decision and purchase daz!
cheers
glen
Australia

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:40 AM »

Aloha,
T
i second that about the widow maker.
im getting the pro dancer first then the widow maker and see how that goes first up!
good luck with your decision and purchase daz!
cheers
glen
Australia

While I agree that the Widowmaker is certainly a very good kite, the problem he will have importing one  ( or any other kite from the States for that matter) is the cost. With VAT, import duties and delivery charges at this side of the pond we end up paying in what the kite costs in $ - so a $295 kite in America cost us ( roughly)295 ($498) by the time it arrives with us in the UK. Sad

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:40 AM »

Firestorm by New Tech....

"Do what you like"
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 07:05 AM »

If you like power, although discontinued, try to find a Tivar, Thors Hammer, Firestorm, Frazer, etc. I think into the wind made a kite called 'goliath' that might fit the bill too. Also the Mirage series, the XL specifically, might work too.

You can also get two or three of the hypo, reframe the lead kite and stack them. Then if you want to trick, just take the back kites off or use the third one if you want to keep the original frame specs.

Enjoy!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 07:34 AM »

Continuing the stack and foil idea, a two or three stack of medium size foils such as the older Prism Stylus 2.8s with 300 lb lines will drag my 200 lb frame right down the beach and leave a nice trench.  Nothing to break but bones Wink  Quite sane when flown as a single. 

No slack line tricks but staying on your feet while being dragged down the beach *IS* a trick...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:38 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tizdaz

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:07 AM »

Lots of reply's & info Smiley

Well ive looked at a few & looked up on some youtube videos etc, the one that's still grabbing my attention is the Fazer XL, looked at a few vids on youtube of it & it seems to be what im looking for in terms of power & the few stunts i might want to do.

But I also see there a Fazer XXL which has cought my eye! ..its bigger but a quite bit more expensive so not sure if i will see that much benefit from the XL as im guessing the XL (being a little smaller than the XXL) will perform stunts a little better?

finally ...Line! ..not sure what type of line i should get & how long :s ?

Thanks again guys/gals Smiley
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 09:28 AM »

Another option would be to try to find a kite maker and go that route. You get to develop a relationship with them and I think you will find that those folks are happy and eager to guide you in the right kite.   They're also available to help you fix issues, breakages, etc.  You will pay twice as much, but you will have a kite that is 10x better. 

-Tom

6 kite tom
tizdaz

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 09:30 AM »

ok an update!

Ive just read some on the Mirage XL & seems very good for the price, reviews are great so now im torn between these 3..
Fazer XL
Fazer XXL
Mirage XL!?

Think im now leaning towards the Mirage XL!

Wheres best place to buy from UK (or europe?) Smiley ?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum