GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 05:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kites you regret buying  (Read 14681 times)
kitekrazy
Trade Count: (0)
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:32 PM »

Stranger Level 7 - it's cool to look at but also had some unique parts when lost you had to make your own mods. I could never find the right wind to fly it.   

Vented Tramontana -  This is an older one. Venting was made to fit the design instead of being functional. I reframed it in G-Force Standards. It's not precise or trickable. The rods are probably worth more than the kite since none of them had to be cut.

I might ebay these someday.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:18 PM »

All of them before my current favorite!  Smiley

Life is too short - fly what you love to fly.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:54 PM »

Vented Tramontana -  This is an older one. Venting was made to fit the design instead of being functional. I reframed it in G-Force Standards. It's not precise or trickable. The rods are probably worth more than the kite since none of them had to be cut.

I loved my old vented Tram! I framed it in P300s and flew it in some really nasty wind. Very precise,  but not designed to be trickable. Nice flat spins.

I've had over 100 sport kites, many of which I didn't like, but I don't regret buying 'em. They all found new homes.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:56 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Adicakes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:55 AM »

I bought a Big Bang Pro, flew it three times and absolutely hated it.  Ended up selling it to someone who now seems to hate me, though strangely not because of the Big Bang.  Cheesy
portley777

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:11 AM »

I bought one when I was fresh - it had two spare spreaders included (bad sign!); they were fibreglass.....it when down hill from there..... (POS image below)
Live and learn Smiley

Cheers,
Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:51 AM by portley777 » Logged

kite a fly go
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:47 AM »

I hate to say it, but...

the Prism 3D

I got a WISKF special edition but it's too small. I'll keep it because it's a pretty kite and maybe I'll fly it occasionally. It doesn't see a lot of action.

Bob D.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:03 AM »

LiteFlite Radial. The language that I could use about this kite would get me banned from this site.

As an aside, I quite like the Big Bang Pro in moderation but I'd hate to have to always fly it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 04:09 PM »

I hate to say it, but...

the Prism 3D

I got a WISKF special edition but it's too small. I'll keep it because it's a pretty kite and maybe I'll fly it occasionally. It doesn't see a lot of action.

I was equally disappointed with the 3d. Maybe more so, because mine was just a standard sail design. Also, the Alien was a big disappointment. The worst, though, was the QPro SUL. Out of the bag, mine wouldn't fly in a wind that I could have easily flown my Zephyr, Flashlight, or Ozone. None of the standard field adjustments helped, so I packed it up and it's never seen the light of day since. Biggest waste of $350+ ever...

Dave a

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:42 PM »

I bought a Big Bang Pro, flew it three times and absolutely hated it.  Ended up selling it to someone who now seems to hate me, though strangely not because of the Big Bang.  Cheesy

Not "The Imposter" was it Adrian ?
Adicakes
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 01:21 AM »

Not "The Imposter" was it Adrian ?

The one and only. Smiley
50flyer
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 02:13 AM »

Prism Fanatic.
It was the first stunt kite I bought. I almost gave up stunt kiting because of this kite. It is a tip wrap monster.  Lips sealed

Bob M.

Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 03:25 AM »

Trick Tail Vented
Air oeuvre Disaster
Diablis Icone (this one's realy bad for the $$$) Shocked

The new Frank!
Adicakes
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 04:43 AM »

Air oeuvre Disaster

Oh yeah, I had one of those too - never a more apt name for a kite.
damp_weather

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 06:13 AM »

Well, there is that 1997 Beuna Vista Catalyst that I bought in a 2006 sale (the one I am trying to rebuild so that it flys well) - sold as a low wind kite, which by inland standards it isn't.

But the other kites I have regrets about I haven't actually bought myself.  - There was the long service gift of a Robertshaw Vented Fury - will we ever enjoy this kite? - And the original two kites that started it all off - the HQ MyFly and the dual line Peter Powell type kite.  Bought as cheap introductory kites by my partner, neither flys well or consistently.  If they had done, perhaps we would never have bought other kites that did fly and get into this kiting addiction.   Sad

QPro SUL? - Our go-to kites for low winds.  But then we did spend a lot of money importing them from the USA, and a lot of time learning how to trim them for the flying conditions.  So we are now getting some return for our investment.

Of the others - well even if we don't particularly get on with them (Fury 0.85 UL comes to mind here) they do teach us something.  - Just often don't know what it is yet.   Embarrassed
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:15 AM by damp_weather » Logged
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 08:04 AM »

Francois,

You had a problem with the Trick Tail vented?  That was one of my favorite kites. In a strong 20+ mph wind, the kite flies beautifully and will do all sorts of things.

One of the kites I disliked the most was an R-Sky downsized version of the Nirvana.  It didn't take me long to trade it off for a Fury .85.  Another of my regrettables is an HQ Asis.  That kite is oversteer city.  But, the Tram is a great kite.

Gardner
Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document