GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kites you regret buying  (Read 16127 times)
ozkite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 03:06 AM »

what ever ya reackon !!!
Ace

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 05:25 AM »

OK OK.. lets take it easy before things get nasty...

Seriously dude Moran reserve over a weekend... Problem solved, no more emails, phone calls or posts that don't seem to make any sense.

Catch ya! Wink

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29 AM »

OK OK.. lets take it easy before things get nasty...
A little late in the day for that, sadly  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
fworley
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29 AM »

what ever ya reackon !!!
Have you tried putting a tail on it ?

I find thats a great help in making a kite more of a stable flier.

-Frazer
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 06:51 AM »

Not everyone gets on with every kite, not even the vaunted Gem.

Let's cut the guy some slack.

There might be a perfectly good reason why his Gem is giving him fits.

It may just have had the bridle messed with. It may have a slipped ferrule, it may be wind quality.
RonG
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2009, 07:11 AM »

Seeing as how I've already defended the honor of the L7, the kite that already saved the world if you weren't paying attention, it seemed appropriate to do likewise for the Alien. They both debuted in the same year afterall.
Yes on the L7.  It rocks (even if I totally don't).

No on the Alien.

I bought an Alien, and hated it.  Sold it.  Decided I hadn't given it a fair shake, so bought another one.  Still hating, sold it.  Figured maybe the third time's the charm, so...well you know.  No, turns out the third time is just...the third time.

Definition of insanity?  I guess.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2009, 07:41 AM »

Not everyone gets on with every kite, not even the vaunted Gem.

Let's cut the guy some slack.

There might be a perfectly good reason why his Gem is giving him fits.

It may just have had the bridle messed with. It may have a slipped ferrule, it may be wind quality.
I agree... Even though just about everyone else loves their QPro SUL, I can't say anything good about mine. But I know it's gotta be me, having no patience to figure out what might be wrong with a factory brand new kite that's a boat anchor. Too little flying time, too many other kites that need to fly.
I do love my Gemini, even though it's an old one. A new Gem is at the top of my wish list...
~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2009, 01:02 PM »

what ever ya reackon !!!
Have you tried putting a tail on it ?

I find thats a great help in making a kite more of a stable flier.

-Frazer

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

made my day Frazer, I'll PM you with an explanation

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22 PM »

Even though just about everyone else loves their QPro SUL, I can't say anything good about mine.

Hmmm.... Strange, mine is pretty good prefer SD SUL though. 
freecheese

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10 AM »

But I know it's gotta be me, having no patience to figure out what might be wrong with a factory brand new kite that's a boat anchor.

I wonder if your kite just needs to settle in and stretch? I've only had my QPro SUL out a few times. So far so good, but I really haven't put it to the test yet (except the breaking point test: yes, it can break!). My QPro standard, however, also felt like a tank at first. It's not an SUL or even an UL, I know, but I couldn't keep the thing up in anything close to it's advertised lower range. After 20+ hours of flying time, however, it completely changed. I was flying it in winds that my friend's brand new Zephyr wouldn't stay up in.

Cheese

PS - The kite I regret buying most is the Utopia. I'm sure it's capable of much more than what I could get out of it all those years ago, but every single connector has deteriorated into some kind of black jell-o since then, and I don't really feel inspired to put any work into it.

Betty Boop

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02 AM »

Air oeuvre Disaster = Just some sticks and stuff that you throw in the air and it falls to the ground... Sad

======>
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2009, 04:53 AM »

But I know it's gotta be me, having no patience to figure out what might be wrong with a factory brand new kite that's a boat anchor.

I wonder if your kite just needs to settle in and stretch? I've only had my QPro SUL out a few times. So far so good, but I really haven't put it to the test yet (except the breaking point test: yes, it can break!). My QPro standard, however, also felt like a tank at first. It's not an SUL or even an UL, I know, but I couldn't keep the thing up in anything close to it's advertised lower range. After 20+ hours of flying time, however, it completely changed. I was flying it in winds that my friend's brand new Zephyr wouldn't stay up in.

Cheese

PS - The kite I regret buying most is the Utopia. I'm sure it's capable of much more than what I could get out of it all those years ago, but every single connector has deteriorated into some kind of black jell-o since then, and I don't really feel inspired to put any work into it.

I agrgee that the QPro std. feels really heavy,too. That's why I like flying mine in 10+mph. When I started asking why my QPro SUL wouln't fly, it was amazing how many stories popped up about mis-stitched upside down bridled mis assembled Prism kites came out of the woodwork. Unacceptable...
I love the Prisms I have (except the QPros SUL) but I won't buy any more.

wicastawakan
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2009, 05:44 AM »

Ok, I'm going to defend the SL7.  On the given day, satisfying to fly and it is like wow.  Well, most of the day.  Maybe part of the day.  A relationship with the SL7 is like a relationship with the opposite sex.......   

Fantastic WOW factor, but at what price. 
fworley
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2009, 07:39 AM »

A relationship with the SL7 is like a relationship with the opposite sex.......  Fantastic WOW factor, but at what price. 
Alright, I'm confused (and a little concerned) are you advocating same sex relationships Clint ?

-Frazer  Wink
anOldMan

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2009, 04:41 PM »

A relationship with the SL7 is like a relationship with the opposite sex.......  Fantastic WOW factor, but at what price. 
Alright, I'm confused (and a little concerned) are you advocating same sex relationships Clint ?

-Frazer  Wink

Frazer, I think he is trying to demonstrate an emotional feeling, NOT a fiscal feeling.

Puts a whole new definitional on line control!!!  Wink

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum