GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 12:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how much rain can you fly in?  (Read 2844 times)
dyfrgi
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 26, 2009, 10:12 PM »

Every day in the past week, plus a couple more before that, it has rained. And the forecast for the next 5 days? Rain! Every day, too.

I've seen some videos in which people are flying in the rain. My question is, how much rain can you fly in? Obviously flying in a lightning storm isn't a great idea, but short of that, is there a line? Assuming the wind isn't too gusty, up to how much rain can you still fly?

I'm specifically thinking sport kites, here. In particular the BMK Muse, if that matters. Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:29 PM »

I've flown in drizzle, not a big deal. If it's raining, I cover my head with the kite and wait. If it's raining and looks like it's going to stay that way, just go home.

Las Vegas gets less than 4 inches of rain per year. If it's raining, it's usually colder than I like anyway. Tomorrow will be here soon enough.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39 PM »

As long as you can see the kite, fly.
Make sure you dry the kite and line set before packing them away.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:40 PM »

I've even flown in hail - if the wind is there, then have fun and just take a hot shower when you are all done.  Smiley

The kite gets heavy, but with enough wind, it all works out.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45 PM »

I've flown until I had to take my glasses off or hire an assistant to wipe them constantly.   Smiley

Nylon sails tend to soak up a lot of water and get heavy. A lot of poly kites fly fine when wet. Wet sand also adds a lot of weight. It's more about the pilot and the wind conditions. Most of the time when it's stormy the winds are funky, so there's usually plenty of incentive to make it a short session.

I've had some very memorable times in the rain, but living in California I only fly in it a couple times a year at most. Back when I was competing I flew in the rain a lot more.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 02:23 AM »

Like Allen stated, Nylon sails absorb water, they tend to shall we say "Swell", which will change the kites handling. Nylon may also stretch when wet and not return to its original dimensions when dry. Different coating materials are more, or less prone to these problems. I have had a cheaper kite stretch to the point that it never was the same again after a dip in the ocean.

The cloth we use is intended for boat sails so it is treated to minumize the effects of water, but some cheaper grades may suffer problems.

If your kite has a Nylon sail do a test of its water absorbancy prior to flying in the rain. Just sprinkle a little water on the sail and let sit for a few minutes. Don't soak it you just want some beads on the fabric. Then check it to see if where it got wet had expanded, you'll see sort of a pucker effect like seersucker fabric if it absorbed the water. If it does I probably wouldn't fly that kite wet just to be safe.

Polyester is hydrophobic and will not absorb water so it shouldn't suffer any adverse effects when wet.

Last don't store your kite in its bag after getting it wet. Once home, take it out of your bag, but leave it unassembled. Since the leading edge fabric is usually Dacron which is a Nylon I would suggest relaxing the leading edge tensioners too just to be safe. Then let it air dry for a few hours, it doesn't take long. This will help keep mold from forming which in extreme cases has been seen to weaken the sewing thread. You also run a slight risk of color bleeding with prolonged exposure to water or discoloration from molds.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RonG
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 03:56 AM »

Polyester is hydrophobic and will not absorb water so it shouldn't suffer any adverse effects when wet.
True, but a lot of the bits we use around the poly are not.  Dacron leading edges will get waterlogged, nose webbing, nylon trailing edge tape, tail flaps, etc.  What I've found with my polyester kites is they start to fly pretty weird once they've been in the wet for a while, because the uneven absorption of water has thrown the balance completely off.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 04:12 AM »

I wash my kites alot after the beach,  leave them fully assembled to dry, never had a problem

"Do what you like"
dyfrgi

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 07:34 AM »

Rockin', thanks guys.
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 07:57 AM »

This time of the year in the Texas Panhandle -- that is, Tornado Alley -- It's isn't safe to fly in the rain because of thunderstorms ::  Other than a stray tornado or two, cloud to ground lightning may zap you or you get konked Huh by hail, from pea-size up to grapefruit-size.  Also. you stand a chance of getting caught in a frog-strangler downpout -- an inch of rain in 15 minutes.  Another problem is wind.

Besides, all those minor problems, I don't particularly like to get wet and cold.

Gardner
EBGB

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 02:54 PM »

While it's true that water doesn't soak into polyester readily (it's hydrophobic), the effect goes away over time as the sail collects dirt, salt, etc that like water just fine.
They'll get wet - but they'll stay in better shape than nylon kites - and if you wash them, they might just bead water again.

Nylon likes the water very much. It wicks deep between the indvidual fibers of the frabric, where it acts like a lubricant, allowing the fibers to slide around in relation to each other. When it dries, the fibers are still in their new position - permanent stretch.

BTW:Dacron(TM) = Polyester = PET = Polyethylene Terephthalate.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
kjdubuque

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13 PM »

Living in the NW it's either fly in the rain or don't fly a few months a year.  I avoid the down pours but the more common lighter winter rains are no big deal.  I follow the advise of taking the kite apart and letting it dry but I've forgotten a few times and not had any problems.  The bummer thing is the lines get really wet from the grass and they start sticking.

kris
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28 PM »

I fly over 200 days a year and we get around 1100 mm rain annually.
Flying in the rain is no big deal if you dress right.

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 07:37 PM »

Zeke,

next time turn off auto-focus, if possible. that should help getting the "money" shot

I used to live in Oregon (1977-1984) and would fly in the rain (no lightning). It was when that big fireball in the sky would appear that we feared the end was near and thought of a ceremonially sacrifice
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:42 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change