GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 07:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Types of Knots  (Read 1540 times)
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 12:50 PM »

Sure, you can do that, but the fact that kevlar will cut itself in a knot means you don't want to tie knots in it or larkshead it to anything without sleeving. I know you stated that you've had no problems in the past, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

you have more experience then i do, so i would like to agree with you and believe you, but im just having a hard time doing so for the fact that i flew my 9 foot with kevlar unsleeved for 2 years, and i only re-tied the loop once in that two years  Huh
Charles G
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 01:21 PM »

Most of my kites would be difficult or impossible to replace, so I tend to be a bit more cautious with how I fly them.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 01:42 PM »

There's a lot of good info on kite line breakage from Peter Lynn here:

http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-s.html

About half way down the page.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:01 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 01:49 PM »

Most of my kites would be difficult or impossible to replace, so I tend to be a bit more cautious with how I fly them.
tis true...also the same reason why i do not fly above ~200'....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mikey1

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 07:17 AM »

thanks, i appreciate all the replies,

would anybody like to comment on my following theory.....

what if i use a figure eight knot to tie a big loop on the end of the line, the loop would be about 12 inches long,

then i would put the loop through the ring on the kite, then put my entire kite reel (with line) through the 12 inch loop,

this would give me one larks head knot connected directly to the kite,

i would think this would be the simplest and most effective way, as there is no hardware to fail, but im no expert,

any opinions as to why this might be a good or bad idea?  Cool
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23 AM »

One big drawback would be if you need to disconnect a downed kite in a hurry. You'd have to cut the line, which would be no great loss of line, but would require a cutting tool on hand. For hand flying a single kite in an isolated area this may not be as big an issue, but when flying with any other kites or where there are people, buildings, power lines, whatever, down wind, being able to disconnect the kite easily from the line is very important.

A pigtail to larkshead your flying line to is easy to make and provides a quick connection point. The vast majority of SLKs use something like this as a connection point. https://www.gkites.com/howtofly/Larkshead.html

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 10:13 AM »

What if i use a figure eight knot to tie a big loop on the end of the line, the loop would be about 12 inches long,

over thinking it....a larkshead will just work fine around the pigtail.....just keep an eye on both bits of line to see how they wear...

I also add a pull tab to my loops that i attach to the pigtail as well...
tie a big loop....and then tie another overhand knot close to the end that is big enough to get a finger tip on - but not too big that you would think that is how you attach to the pigtail....
then when you are done flying just tug on the pull tab and the larkshead is conveniently free.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mikey1

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 03:08 PM »

thanks for all the info,

i have been reading some conflicting info on the net, so i thought i would ask you guys this.....

which knot do you think is stronger to tie a loop to be used for a larks head?

a double overhand.....or.....a figure eight ?
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 05:45 PM »

Seriously?

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Mikey1

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 05:41 AM »

an overhand knot will have about 60% strength, where a figure eight knot/loop will have about 80% strength.

thanks,

so where would you rate a double overhand knot ?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum