GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 05:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Types of Knots  (Read 1370 times)
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 06, 2014, 07:06 AM »

what type of knot is best to use to tie a loop in the end of the kite line, when forming a loop to use the loop for a larks head?

the three variations i have seen are....

- simple/single loop knot
- double loop knot
- figure eight knot

are they all pretty much the same? or are there any pros and cons to them?

do some weaken the line more than others?

part two to my question is....does it matter how big or small the loop is? meaning would a smaller loop be stronger than a bigger loop, or the other way around? or would it not matter what the size is at all?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:09 AM by Mikey1 » Logged
Charles G
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50 AM »

By 'loop knot' I'm guessing you mean overhand knot. If that's the case, an overhand knot will have about 60% strength, where a figure eight knot/loop will have about 80% strength.

The loop size doesn't affect strength. Make the loop large enough to easily form a larkshead to attach to the kite.

Charles

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:04 AM »

I personally use an over hand knot first because it is easier to fine tune and then a figure eight behind it. I use a 13 inch sleeve so that it ends up between 5 and 6 inches. I found this video very helpful. (In the hands of the Master)

http://youtu.be/AXA-mNtDNQE
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Mikey1

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:04 AM »

By 'loop knot' I'm guessing you mean overhand knot.

yes that is correct, overhand knot sorry

so do most people use the figure eight knot cause its stronger?
Mikey1

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:13 AM »

I personally use an over hand knot first because it is easier to fine tune and then a figure eight behind it. I use a 13 inch sleeve so that it ends up between 5 and 6 inches. I found this video very helpful. (In the hands of the Master)

http://youtu.be/AXA-mNtDNQE
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

thanks for that video, it has now raised another question for me  Grin

i noticed that dude in the video has slipped some kind of protective covering over the original line, is that the recommended procedure?

in the past i have just been tying my kite string in a loop and using a larks head with a kite hook/leader that kind of looks like a fishing leader, it came with my kite reel though and i believe its rated at 200 pounds,

should i have a protective covering like the video?
SparkieRob

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:34 AM »

Lots of people sleeve and lots don't. When I've chopped down line sets I've only resleeved one set. The others I was too lazy to do it. If you don't sleeve, put a pull tab or loop on the end to make it easier to undo.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Charles G

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49 AM »

Sleeving your lines is not necessary for single line kites unless you're using kevlar or spectra.
You should just be able to larkshead the line directly to the towpoint on the kite. Having additional hardware just means something else may fail.

MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04 AM »

From your posts, it's a bit unclear whether you're talking about spectra dual/quad linesets or dacron SLK line. My personal rules of thumb are generally...

SLKs: dacron (usually manufactured as dacron sleeving around a core); simple overhand knot on low strength lines, figure 8 knots on higher strength more critical lines.

Dual/Quad: Spectra (I personally sleeve it as it has more tendency to cut, but many do not -- personal preference); figure 8 knot due to its higher strength and greater resistance to slipping.

Mostly it's what you feel comfortable with.

Bob
Mikey1

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:58 AM »

From your posts, it's a bit unclear whether you're talking about spectra dual/quad linesets or dacron SLK line. My personal rules of thumb are generally...

SLKs: dacron (usually manufactured as dacron sleeving around a core); simple overhand knot on low strength lines, figure 8 knots on higher strength more critical lines.

Dual/Quad: Spectra (I personally sleeve it as it has more tendency to cut, but many do not -- personal preference); figure 8 knot due to its higher strength and greater resistance to slipping.

Mostly it's what you feel comfortable with.

thanks for this and all the replies,

to make things more clear and answer some of the questions,

its for a SLK 12 foot delta, and i will be using 500 pound kevlar line (ya i know),

i am just trying to figure out the best way (most secure way) to attach this line to the kite, i am having nightmares about my line snapping and watching my kite sail away into the sunset  Cry

i have a few different scenerios that i could use,

the attachment provided on the kite is just one single metal round ring that is about 3/4 inches in diameter,

my initial thought was to buy a 300 pound strength (or greater) kite hook/connector, and use a larks head knot attached to that, and clip that to the metal ring on the kite,

now i am toying with the idea of forgetting about the kite hook, and use a figure eight knot to tie a big loop on the end of the line, this loop would have to be about 12 inches long to fit my kite reel through it,

so i would put the large loop through the metal ring on the kite, and then put my entire kite reel of string through the 12 inch loop, this would basically mean i would have one single larks head knot connected directly to the kite,

would this be okay? and should i sleeve it or not?
Charles G

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21 AM »

Make up a loop of heavy dacron line, tie a figure eight knot in it, cut it off the line so you now have a loop with a knot in it. Put the loop through the ring on the kite and pull the knot through so the knot becomes the point you'll larkshead your flying line to. I'll take pictures  of this tonight if necessary.

Since you're using kevlar line, you definitely should sleeve your line. Kevlar will cut itself in a knot.

Mikey1

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:28 AM »

Make up a loop of heavy dacron line, tie a figure eight knot in it, cut it off the line so you now have a loop with a knot in it. Put the loop through the ring on the kite and pull the knot through so the knot becomes the point you'll larkshead your flying line to. I'll take pictures  of this tonight if necessary.

i have heard of this method, i am just weary of the larks head somehow coming loose, or slipping off the other string/knot???

Since you're using kevlar line, you definitely should sleeve your line. Kevlar will cut itself in a knot.

i used kevlar for 2 years flying a 9 foot delta and never had an issue, i was using 150 pound line with a kite hook connector and no sleeving, only because that was what the place i bought it from recommended and i didnt know any better at the time,

do i need to sleeve if i use the method you describe above?
Charles G

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38 AM »

I've never had a larkshead come loose on any of my kites. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.

I fly exclusively on kevlar, and all my lines are sleeved. Using the method I described, you'll have kevlar line larksheaded to dacron, so to be safe, I'd recommend sleeving.

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 11:40 AM »

Also if you are on kevlar line larksheading to dacron or polyester pigtail you will cut through that pigtail when attaching and releasing the larkshead... Keep an eye on it

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Mikey1

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 11:53 AM »

I've never had a larkshead come loose on any of my kites. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.

I fly exclusively on kevlar, and all my lines are sleeved. Using the method I described, you'll have kevlar line larksheaded to dacron, so to be safe, I'd recommend sleeving.

so you cant larks head kevlar onto kevlar?
Charles G

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 12:12 PM »

Sure, you can do that, but the fact that kevlar will cut itself in a knot means you don't want to tie knots in it or larkshead it to anything without sleeving. I know you stated that you've had no problems in the past, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change