GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB NikNak or Prism 4d  (Read 1639 times)
DesmoDan
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 07, 2014, 09:44 PM »

I know there has been many posts about this comparison already, but here's my dilemma.  The colour scheme of the current batch of Niknaks don't really appeal to me.  A new batch won't get started for another 5 weeks.  I could get a custom coloured one, but that would add a bit of cost to it.  As most posts have noted, the Niknak is a superior flying kite to the Prism 4D.  However, I can go to the local kite store tomorrow and buy the 4D, or I can pay about 25-50% more (plus shipping) for a Niknak and wait 2-5 weeks for one depending on whether I want to go the custom colour route.  Question being, is the Niknak that far superior of a kite compared to the 4D, that it's worth the wait and the extra money?
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39 PM »

Sort of apples and oranges. The NikNak is a much larger kite than the 4D. It is an excellent kite for the money, and due to it's larger size may be a little easier to fly smoothly than the smaller 4D.

The 4D is a great kite at a lower price. A bit quicker than the 4D and probably not as much fun in it's upper wind range just because it gets moving pretty fast. I think the 4D is a little easier to fly in zero wind.

Allen, AKA kitehead
missionview

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 11:23 PM »

I have never flown a NikNak, but I used to own a 4D, and did not like it. I replaced it with the Skyburner Aura and I like the Aura very much.

Robert
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:23 AM »

I didnt click with the 4d ever. Or the 3d for that matter. IMO the kites just too small, twitchy, the frame is soft, etc. The niknak is a bigger kite with more sail area, a SUPER smooth flyer and with the addition of the APA fittings that are now on the kite, it has some tricks up its sleeve as well. I loved mine to bits, and wear them out all the time. Was my goto for years when I was growing up for light winds.

Cant go wrong with anything from skyburner.

Also think of this- this kite is going to last for years- isn't it worth the wait and a bit more money for a longer term investment?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Captainbob

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:02 AM »

I bought the 4D first, and after flying it awhile, I decided that I wanted something that wasn't as twitchy, and flew smoother. I then ordered a Niknak after much research. I called Skyburner, and put in an order for one, and since I like red, I asked for some red in the kite. They told me it would be about 3 weeks, but 2 weeks later the kite was delivered, half red and half slate. It looks great. I haven't flown my 4D since I got the Niknak, and I'm sorry I didn't get the Niknak in the beginning. It's big, smooth, and flies great.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29 AM »

Yes custom higher end kites can cost double digit percentage amounts more than some 'factory' kites. In real money, the difference is small for what you get and a real bargain in the larger scheme of your overall enjoyment.  A tank of gas or taking the family out to dinner costs more than the difference and does not last as long Smiley  If possible, get the better kite.

Had a 3D. Have a SB Aura.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:06 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:46 AM »

two very different kites that have nothing in common.

You should choose based on what would be a good fit for you.

Cost means little if what you bought sits in the closet of worst bring you nothing but frustration before it sits in the closet.

For me I never clicked with the 4D or 3D.  It small, quick and twitchly.  Little in the way of line feedback and I found it difficult to control. It the right hands it may be fun. 

Loved my niknak.  bigger kite, lots of control and easy to power up the sail by moving around. 
tgeorgo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:23 PM »

I have a Prism 4-d and it does fly in very light winds but it just isn't that fun. It really isn't very tricky, has a lot of oversteer and despite the posted wind range becomes downright unpleasant over 8 MPH winds. The Prism Zephyr is a decent kite and I enjoy flying it.

Every Kite I have bought from Skyburner has been excellent in both build and flyability. I have a Freestylist, WM std, Ocius std and ul and an Aura ul on the way.

I would counsel you against the 4-d if you want to do tricks. If you just want to fly it around it is an affordable kite that will go up in almost no wind and its speed will condition your reflexes.

Aloha,
T
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 03:21 AM »

I have a Prism 4-d and it does fly in very light winds but it just isn't that fun. It really isn't very tricky, has a lot of oversteer and despite the posted wind range becomes downright unpleasant over 8 MPH winds.

I have one and I've found there is a lot less oversteer if you slide the inhaul line past the knot and make the bridle a 3 point.  That said, I agree with everything you have said, it's Ok but of limited use - I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd tried one earlier.

Whilst I haven't tried the Skyburner, I would advise against the 4D if you have another option.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document