GWTW Forum
September 14, 2014, 07:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: handles?  (Read 845 times)
tizdaz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 10, 2014, 09:56 AM »

Hi guys, which handles are best for dual lines..

D RING

Or

Im guessing the D ring type?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:58 AM by tizdaz » Logged
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:00 AM »

Both are bad for indoor kiteflying...  Cheesy
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:06 AM »

One word, 'benson'  Cool
tizdaz

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:27 AM »

Im lost!

I need handles for my mirage xxl that ive just ordered as im having some line custim made :-)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:37 AM »

Padded straps are ok( I have some for flying my bigger kites). The ones have don't have d rings, just heavy line.
 You might also consider some 'skyclaws', you can let go of them easier then if they are around your wrist like a strap. I also have found even with padded straps on my bigger kites after flying a long time my fingers and wrist sometimes go to sleep. Which probably isn't good. Ymmv

Sine Metu!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:43 AM »

I've used these http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Line_and_Accessories/Stunt_Kite_Straps_Handles_Winders_and_Linebags/Contoured_Flight_Straps before.

Straps are wider, so load is better distributed, but not padded so without the bulk. Pretty comfy.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:18 AM »

I have both padded and wide straps.  Prefer the wide belt straps like you posted for same reason.

I've used these http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Line_and_Accessories/Stunt_Kite_Straps_Handles_Winders_and_Linebags/Contoured_Flight_Straps before.

Straps are wider, so load is better distributed, but not padded so without the bulk. Pretty comfy.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:30 AM »

I use the 'D' ring type on my Delta Hawk stack and they work well. You might also consider 'Power grips' ( Manfred also has these I believe).

Climax Protec lines are good!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:57 AM »

thats a tough one , padded in general is nice , but so bulky , regular straps can put some presure on wrists , and there have been times im glad i was flying a moster on handles , it just means theres no one kite or piece of equiptment that fits every situation , its alot like rc cars , or pretty much all other hobbies , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:11 PM »

This is why padded straps or power handles are nice for hard pulling kites !

tizdaz

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 12:45 PM »

Thanks for info guys, Yeh think am gunna go for padded as they seem more comfy, talking of rc cars, thats my main hobby, largescale petrol ones :-D
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15 PM »

yea i saw the rc mention in your profile , my boys are grown but we use to race rc cars , now the only fumes there into comes from perfume , lol , chasing girls right , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 04:31 PM »

You might also consider 'Power grips' ( Manfred also has these I believe).

Something like this is a much better idea than padded (or any kind of) straps. Straps for a a hard pulling kite is like larksheading the lines to your wrists. If your hands aren't strong enough to handle the pull of the kite, you're just using bones, skin and and tendons as raw materials to anchor your kite. Not good for your hands, and you're not really controlling the kite.

Just my opinion.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:18 PM »

Would never use use narrow 1" straps on hard pulling kites.  Too much pressure. As mentioned, 2" contoured straps work well for me.  Can move out of the window for short breaks as arms tire.

Padded straps ok for some stacks and medium pull but generate more pressure than wide contoured straps.

Use handles for revs of course and for flying duallies with one hand ala Ray Bethel.  Could try handles for hard pulling kites just never felt the need.

Another opinion.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:24 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 08:57 PM »

I use 2" wide straps for pulling kites.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document