GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel Bag for Kites - Eureka  (Read 572 times)
tgeorgo
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 10, 2014, 09:05 PM »

I am planning a trip to the east coast soon and I have been looking for a good travel bag for my kites. I wanted something that had some padding but yet was minimal. My strategy is to break my kites down as much as possible and try to take them as carry on but then have a bag with enough structure that they have a chance should the airline require me to check it. 

I searched the forum for advice and saw that some folks are using fly-fishing rod travel bags but they all seemed a little narrow in diameter for me as I am hoping to take 5 or 6 kites.

I happened upon Adorama and B&H photo and came across tripod bags and lighting stand bags. There are a huge variety of them in different sizes (diameter and length), they come padded and unpadded, and some have accessory pockets etc. Bingo. I was able to find exactly what I am looking for at a price considerably less than some of the specialty kite bags that didn't quite fit the bill anyway.

I wanted to share this information in case anyone else has the same needs. I hope to be able to see some of you at the upcoming Eastern League event.

Aloha,
T
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:37 PM »

Would you mind sharing which bag you decided on....pictures and/or link please?

If you are looking for a 'bag' to check in with a few more kites. This is what I checked in on a flight recently with 8 broke-down delta stinters and a Rev 1.5.

Was a gun case made by Plano and I added the grey straps but probably didn't need to!
tgeorgo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02 PM »

Cool Case and if I were going to check my kites this is a bulletproof way to go.

I am hoping to carry on my kites as I read that a number of other folks have been able to do that. The bag I settled on is a Hakuba tripod case that I got from B&H photo. It was $49.95 and is 37" x 10" x 6". The bag has arrived and I can easily fit the eight fully broken down kites that I intend to take with me.

Sky Burner WM std, Ocius std, Ocius ul, Aura ul
Jest of Eve Talon std, vented and ul
Will Sturdy Saber III

There is also a side pocket that will hold 4-5 loaded card winders. I am super impressed at the quality of the bag for the price. There is a bit of padding in the lining and straps on the inside for securing equipment which works well for my kites. I will throw a non-lined 70" bag into my luggage that folds up to nothing so that I don't have to break down my kites once I arrive and I will probably include a stake in my checked bag as well so as not to freak out TSA.

I would include a link to the bag at B&H or Adorama but forum rules prohibit links to commercial sites of non-sponsers and I have inadvertently made that mistake before. For me it came down to the Hakuba and another one from a brand called Slinger but I went with Hakuba.

Aloha,
T
missionview
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:36 PM »

Would you mind sharing which bag you decided on....pictures and/or link please?

If you are looking for a 'bag' to check in with a few more kites. This is what I checked in on a flight recently with 8 broke-down delta stinters and a Rev 1.5.

Was a gun case made by Plano and I added the grey straps but probably didn't need to!

I like this solution!

Robert
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:12 PM »

I like this solution!

Worked great for me on two flights so far! The ONLY issue is the baggage handlers probably won't put your 'kite case' on the baggage 'belt' with your other baggage after your flight. You will need to go to the baggage claims area after your flight and ask them to locate it for you. This took a little time on one of the 2 flights! No big issue if you are not in a big hurry after your plane lands.
missionview
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:49 PM »

Why won't they put it on the baggage belt? I recall seeing bags at least that long on the belt.

Robert
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:03 PM »

Bags can bend if needed. Cases might become lodged when rounding curves in the belt.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document