GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 07:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Old School Kites  (Read 1332 times)
David Kirk
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 12, 2014, 11:29 AM »

I pulled them out to check on their condition and I thought I'd share some pictures while I'm at it. All of them are undamaged.

North Shore Radical with a 7P frame and Wardley active bridle by me. It has such a huge wind range that the next two were rarely flown. It was my daughter's precision kite and my tail puller.

North Shore VIP.

North Shore Kona.

Dick Barnes' Pizazz. Jerry Cannon (Team Cutting Edge) sold me these when the team got a new sponsor.

Ray Bethel Pizazz. One of the 13 that we saw Ray fly at WSIKF when we were there in 2002. It was my daughter's favorite ballet kite. The frame is 2PT instead of the original 3PT. Ray wrote best wishes, Emmalee and signed it, but the ink has disappeared.

Benson Outer Space re-framed in Skyshark Response 12

Vapor and Quantum Pro. The QP was a very generous gift to my daughter from Mark Reed.

Bluemoon Mako SE #2. He didn't make many of these before he came out with a revised version (Mako II?).

I can't remember the name of the builder or what he called it. It has a clever pocket so you can use coins as tail weights.

He's Asian and I think his first name is Marty.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:41 AM by David Kirk » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:44 AM »

Hi David,

Long time no see!

Fly much these days?

I remember some of those kites!

Someone at a Martinez comp way back in the day had an NSR in those colors with a matching tube tail. Was that you? May have been before your time, but it was your neighborhood. I've wanted the combo ever since.

Allen, AKA kitehead
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:48 AM »

Last  kite - Katana by Marty Sasaki

David Kirk

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:05 PM »

Hi Allen! No, we haven't flown in years. We talk about it but our work schedules make it impossible for us to fly together, and it's just no fun for me to fly without Emmalee.

That could have been me at Martinez. I do have a matching 100 foot tail.

I flew the NSR and tail for the crowd at the Seal Beach Kite Festival when there was a 30+ mph wind storm and nobody else could fly. I didn't break the kite, but I was sore for days! I guess I did okay, they invited me back.
David Kirk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:06 PM »

Last  kite - Katana by Marty Sasaki

You are correct!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:32 PM »

David & Emmalee Kirk (11 years ago)

She always kicked my butt in the competitions. (Wait, I beat her once.)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
dragonfish

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:41 PM »

Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  As a relatively new flier, I haven't seen very many old school kites (even in pictures, or maybe I just didn't know what they were). 

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the various North Shore kites?  Are they basically the same except for weight/venting, akin to what we would call (S)UL/standard/vented nowadays?  Or is there a bigger difference?  Thanks. 
David Kirk

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06 AM »

In short, yes.

The NSR was a very old design when she started flying it. I think it predates the invention of the axel, so obviously it's not a trick kite. It wil do flat spins and it snap stalls like nothing else. It's very precise, noisy and hard pulling.

The first time she ever flew it was at a kite festival. She ended up flying demos for the crowd to music from CD's I happened to have in my truck. I was surprised that she wanted to do it because she was 13 and very shy. Steve Hall saw her and she ended up being sponsored by GWTW and Bluemoon Kites. She started competing and did well, even though she rarely practiced.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Hello Again, David Nice to hear you're still around.  It's fun to see the old Vapor is still in one piece. I still have and fly the rainbow Warrior I traded you for it so many years ago. Turned out to be one of my favorite kites.

Lee

David Kirk

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17 PM »

Hi Lee! It wasn't easy giving up that Warrior, but Emmalee really needed the Vapor for low wind precision. I've flown it a lot myself.

I just found a pair of Skyburner Trick n Tracks, but I'm short one standoff. I can easily make one, but I don't know where to go for parts. I'm having trouble navigating the site, but it appears that Steve no longer sells parts. Where should I go?
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:08 PM »

JonT is still active with Skyburner and his store at

http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/

He can get those TnTs back to whole for you.

Always liked the NSRs in that color scheme.  Could never afford one with that emotional value though Smiley

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
David Kirk

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 01:03 PM »

I'll bet you can't name this one:

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 01:29 PM »

You have the prototype?

David Kirk

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 01:40 PM »

I do. Christof Fokken sent it to Emmalee for testing.

Do you want it?

PM your address and I'll send it to you.

Wasn't your picture taken at Golden Gate Field? I was letting anybody that wanted to fly it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:02 PM by David Kirk » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 03:43 PM »

Yes, the photos were all taken there.

There's about a dozen shots near the one I posted if you click on them.

I'd love to take it to the next Kite Party to have Christoph sign it.

Your offer is very kind.

The kite went on to become the Obsession II by HQ (vented version shown).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum