GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 03:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finally! ...got 1 (i hope!!)  (Read 1108 times)
tizdaz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 12, 2014, 05:38 PM »

Hi guys/gals Smiley

Well, ive spent MANY hours looking for the right kite, think ive finally found it!

As some of you prob already know from my previous topics ive had 1 heck of a time finding a large dual line delta, The one I wanted was the Spacekites Matador, but after many emails that went un-answered & even a phone call (I live in UK!) that was just an automated response to say "un reachable"! ..i gave up on the Spacekites... I think it's fair to say that that Spacekites seems to be no more? The website doesn't work, emails gets returned with an "un-able to reach host" error, phone number doens't exist & the website hasn't been updated for a LONG time.

So off I went looking for another kite, a few cought my eye, but again after many emails to LOTS of different retailers all around Europe, none of the 1s i wanted was in stock & had been discontinued! Sad

But I didnt give up! (although i have to admit i came VERY close to giving up on the idea of this kite thing!) ..At this point the one I decided upon was the Elliot Mirage XXL, after watching a few videos & reading up some reviews I decided this was THE one! ..so after emailing yet more retailers etc, I finally got the reply I wanted from one, the search for THE HOLY GRAIL was answered.... in form of a lil kite shop in Holland! Cheesy

Yup, I finally found a corner shop tucked away in Holland (Netherlands) that actually has the Mirage XXL in stock (along with a Elliot Mystic too!) but im not too fussed on the Mystic, big it is, but looking at some of the videos & reviews it seems to be VERY slow etc. So the Mirage XXL it is! (Rainbow colour)

Anyway im off to town in the morning to visit my bank to pay for it, the only downside is it's gunna cost 450 Euro for the RTF (Ready to Fly with 35m Dyneema) option ...the standard price for the Mirage XXL when it was in production was around 300 euro incl Free Delivery! but this lil place in holland wants 46 euro postage to the UK, i cant complain as im just happy ive finally found 1 Smiley

But im also having some 70m (about 230ft) 160 dan Climax Protec made by Manfred at kites4u in the UK, this is gunna cost me about another 100! ..but hopefuly all this meither be well worth it! Smiley

& on a final note.. Thanks alot to those of you who have gave me info & helped me with the many questions ive had over the past week, was much appreciated & wasn't in vein! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:41 PM by tizdaz » Logged
SparkieRob

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12 PM »

Don't forget to post some pics and a review.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
tizdaz

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:03 AM »

I shall :-)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:24 PM »

[...] But im also having some 70m (about 230ft) 160 dan Climax Protec made by Manfred at kites4u in the UK, this is gunna cost me about another 100!
100, it's too much expensive !  Cry
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:35 PM »

why such long lines?
I have had 2 Mystics and 2 Mirage XXL's
125 ft was plenty long
Good luck and have fun
If it gets to much drop both lines and the kite will come down fairly gentle...

"Do what you like"
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:42 PM »

[...] But im also having some 70m (about 230ft) 160 dan Climax Protec made by Manfred at kites4u in the UK, this is gunna cost me about another 100!
100, it's too much expensive !  Cry

Not really, a 100m spool of 160dAn Climax Protec is 45.50, multiply that X2 ( a pair of 70m lines + 30M lines) + sleeving + winder(s) plus his time to measure out and tie the lines - I think that is a fair price - not cheap, but fair. Manny is a good guy!

They are very long lines - 40-50m would have worked out a lot cheaper - By the way, on a technical point, I believe it is  (technically) illegal to fly a kite on lines over 60m within 5km of an active airfield in the UK - just be aware.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tizdaz

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:44 PM »

hi guys Smiley

about the line, i haven't ordered it yet as hes away until the weekend.

But been thinking, as he said i would have to sleeve it myself, now ive never done this before so i googled it & wacthed some video clips & it doesnt look too bad (im an ex carp fisherman so im ok with knots!)

Anyway been thinking of maybe doing my own line altogether, is this easy enough, any decent guides online that anyone knows of please Smiley ?
Michel

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 04:48 PM »

By Drachenmarkt.de, Climax Protec 160 daN costs 0,45 / meter. That means 37 GPB for 100 meters + about 3 GPB for winder + sleeve = 40 GPB.

And it's very easy to do a 2 x 50 meters linesset !
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:48 AM »

If I were you I'd get a 100m spool of line, a sleeving kit and a winder - 50m lines are going to be plenty long enough. Measure out the line into 2 even lengths, sleeve the ends and there you go - it will be much cheaper than a 70m set.  Just remember to make sure both lines are exactly the same length.

This is how to sleeve the ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXA-mNtDNQE

This is how to equalise the lines ( this shows quad lines but the principle is exactly the same).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXA-mNtDNQE

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tizdaz

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:00 AM »

Thanks guys, think im going to have ago at making my own then :-)

Anyone know best place to buy the line from? Im from uk

Thanks!
Michel

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:54 PM »

By Kite4you, Climax Extreme 160 daN (350 lbs) x 100 m : 39,95
tizdaz

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 04:47 AM »

Cool thanks,

So u guys reckon 50m is plenty for a kite this size, i prob be using it in fairly strong winds to, british seasides!!

misterbleepy

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 01:46 PM »

50m lines are plenty for a beach in the UK - just be careful if it's busy, as people don't look where they're walking when you're unravelling the lines ;-)

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
tizdaz

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 10:57 AM »

ok its going to be delivered tomorrow! Smiley

it comes with 35m lines but ive been trying to get hold of manfred at kites4u to order the 100m Climax Protec spools! ..also want to order the 30m (100ft) transitional black/white/red tube tail thats on the website to! Sad
tizdaz

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:54 AM »

now im getting all excited!

Cheesy

Ordered 100m spool of 160dan climax protec from kites4u as well Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change