GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABS....  (Read 6265 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 06:16 PM »

Been there done this dance a zillion times....

Rob's statement kind of summed thing up. There are only so many shapes to an airplane wing. I guess all airplanes are therefore copies of the one that started it all.

The patent on Rev kites has long since been over (we've been this to death before). They do still own the trademark... but that is different. Go to a kite festival and I dare you not to see a copy of a Rev being flown. Everyone and their mother makes them. Rev could bitch and complain about this but there is really nothing they can do. Instead I _APPLAUD_ Rev's view on the issue and I have _no doubt_ it's help them make a ton of more money. Rev would rather have you buy one of their kites. But they are not going to beat on people for making their own. In reality this only helps promote their products... and it's worked out quite well for them. I've made two Rev type kites myself. I also own three of them. When someone sees me flying my own I tell them its a kite I made based on a kite called a Revolution and that is the company that makes/sells them. I suspect some of those people then go out and buy one. Not everyone can make their own.

So, please... let's not get started on this "Rev copy" thing again.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 01:38 AM »

Looking at the closeups at the end of the video its not a 'Rev knock off' - its framed like a Quadriflex with 2 crossing leading edges. I once made a kite framed like a Quadriflex and it did have a nice stability in all directions.

From memory the Rev patent covered two kites side by side so there may have been an issue but that expired long ago, with regard to being a knock off in shape I don't recall any rev with 2 crossed leading edges.

I got tired of this whole argument years ago and was sufficiently alienated by representatives of Revolution Kites that I sold the two I had. I've not been a fan of the eyes but this is one of Lam's kites that I might buy.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:46 AM by inewham » Logged

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43 AM »

I wish I could remember the name of the German quadline kite that looks like two opposing arrowheads.

You mean the Knockout?

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25 AM »

Looks to me like a updated QuadraFlex.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14 PM »

I wish I could remember the name of the German quadline kite that looks like two opposing arrowheads.

You mean the Knockout?

Right!!  Aviator Kites

Flapjacks, Slot machines, Lazy Susans, Axel Cascades... now THAT'S a progressive quadliner!

Looks to me like a updated QuadraFlex.

circa 1990... now that's an OLD quadliner!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:22 AM by KaoS » Logged

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 11:18 PM »

I am a Lam fan.  He puts his heart soul into design and build.  But will ABS perform any different than a REV.  REV has some nice attributes.  Commonality of all the spares.  Crashability with the bungees.  Omni directional flight.  I will have to feel one of these in my hands and be convinced by flying one.

Said similar things about the his dual line kites .  Flew a Fearless and it is the only kite I have flown now for about 5 years. 

It would be fun to take the boredom out of multiline with  competitor to REV.  I will at least liven up some of the evening discussions.  It might also force some more rational pricing into the 4 line scene. 

One thing I noticed is there is no horizontal vent  under the leading edge.  That is a major improvement because that vent has a life expectancy of about 2 years and then you better be pretty good on a sewing machine to replace it.  Rev does not even have a replacement service for this.  That could be a key factor in selection.

John
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17 AM »

Yeah Rev's patent broadly covered the idea of having two separately controllable surfaces able to pivot independently. That pretty much covered any variation of the bowtie design. Rev did aggressively protect the patent even after it had expired since the threat of going to court and the associated costs was enough to keep small manufactures from producing competing designs. Not knocking them for it, the Hadzicki's put a lot of thought into the design of the whole system before it came to market and there have been no significant changes to the whole system over 27 years now. They got it right the first time and I think they deserved a pretty exclusive market for their effort which is what a patent provides.

And I agree, those might be the only Lam graphics I've really liked, great 3d effect.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Captainbob

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 07:16 AM »

I see Dodd Gross announced on his Facebook page that he is getting an ABS and is going to start teaching quad lines with it.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
ezme6

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 08:14 AM »

Im loving my ABS 5 kite set....
so new, so different, so better....
everything else is "old school" to me...

"Do what you like"
kiteflyer

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 02:55 PM »

Where can I get one of these? Are they available for purchase?

Thanks, Mark
Captainbob

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38 PM »

I did a Google search on this kite  and came up with nothing. Apparently they are not on the market yet.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 04:41 PM »

Looks like lam has not added it to his website yet..,

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ezme6

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 06:02 AM »

Not everything is on Google...
and yes they are available for order

"Do what you like"
Captainbob

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 06:23 AM »

Not everything is on Google...
and yes they are available for order

Where? 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 06:33 AM »

Email Lam ? That's usually the way you get one of his kites...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change