GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 05:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rev 1.5sle vs B series  (Read 836 times)
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: May 18, 2014, 09:40 PM »

I have been toying around with the idea of changing out the leading edge SLE tubes for something more flexy to slow the reaction down a little or buy a B series which has lighter tubes.  Does the B series have much over the SLE.  My SLE is older and has the mylar panels in it.  Icarex better?

Any input would be appreciated.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:08 AM »

When the wind is up, I prefer an SLE Rev.

But most of the time, the new Revs fly in much less wind

and the spars can be changed in less than 30 seconds.

I just flew my SLE in about 10 mph winds a few days ago.

Then I flew Dave's mid-vent B-Series in the same winds.

The new Revs are pretty incredible.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:26 AM »

I have both the SLE and B Series. I used a 3 wrap frame on the SLE Std sale and for lighter winds a set of Race Rods.  On my B series which is a Mid vent, I use a 3 wrap frame. I have Magic Sticks on both my Revs, so the mid vent with a 3 wrap will take me easily over 20 mph winds. I haven't used the SLE rods in months, way to stiff.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:10 AM »

Sky Shark or Dynamic tubes work real well in a Rev

"Do what you like"
Captainbob

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:22 AM »

Sky Shark or Dynamic tubes work real well in a Rev

First time I have heard that..   Undecided

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 07:28 AM »

i have been using SS frames for years... Grin

"Do what you like"
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:08 AM »

I have been toying around with the idea of changing out the leading edge SLE tubes for something more flexy to slow the reaction down a little or buy a B series which has lighter tubes.  Does the B series have much over the SLE.  My SLE is older and has the mylar panels in it.  Icarex better?

Any input would be appreciated.

Icarex is the best fabric, you'd use it yourself if you were a recognized & decent kite builder! Most of concur that a more flexible leading edge is also benefit.  The mylar was dumped by the factory a few years ago as most folks prefer the same material thru-out for stretching consistance and also weight savings.

The newer B-sEries and the latest "New York Minute" style have a curvature built into the leading edge that older designs lack.  The curvature captures more wind, like a cup holds more water than a tray.

You can "pre-load" the SLE and use some P-90 skyshark tubes to improve the low wind performance substantially.  Tie a piece of hi-test bridle line from one end-cap thru all the bungies and bits to the other side and add a slip/sliding knot (like a Rok's cross spreaders feature) so you can add pretensioned curvature easily on the leading edge.  Try a couple of inches of deflection (from a laser straight leading edge) on each side first.

Eliot Shook can help you,.... call Flying Smiles kites and tell 'em you want more performance from your SLE Rev.  You could change bridles, add magic sticks, go to longer throw handles, try different leading edge tubes, even a six piece instead of 3 (travel frame) option.

If you get an opportunity try to attend one of the big festivals, you can experiment with options on OPKs and determine what suits your own style and local conditions.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:29 AM »

Do tell...

i have been using SS frames for years... Grin

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:33 AM »

I'd say buy a race frame for your current Rev and you'll have one kite to cover a pretty wide wind range. The differences in sail design from old to new 1.5 Revs is pretty subtle for the average flyer, but pretty important to advanced flyers. The frame is the biggest difference, the most bang for your buck.

The big interest in group flying, or what I call "precision" quad flying has made bendy LEs more important. More forgiving, for sure, but maybe a bit boring? A matter of preference. Flying by yourself, or if you like a faster, more aggressive style of flying, the stiffer frame may be the way to go. Trying different frames is great fun, and relatively cheap. You can always upgrade the sail later.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Captainbob

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04 AM »

I'd say buy a race frame for your current Rev and you'll have one kite to cover a pretty wide wind range. The differences in sail design from old to new 1.5 Revs is pretty subtle for the average flyer, but pretty important to advanced flyers. The frame is the biggest difference, the most bang for your buck.

The big interest in group flying, or what I call "precision" quad flying has made bendy LEs more important. More forgiving, for sure, but maybe a bit boring? A matter of preference. Flying by yourself, or if you like a faster, more aggressive style of flying, the stiffer frame may be the way to go. Trying different frames is great fun, and relatively cheap. You can always upgrade the sail later.

Nice part about the Race Frame is that it weighs about the same as a 2 wrap, but is as strong as a 3 wrap, so it has good light wind performance, yet the strength to handle winds a bit stronger.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 10:51 AM »

Someone told me to frame down (3 wrap to 2 wrap/race) If the wind goes high, double up frames and just use the SLE as a banner pole.
wagsboyz

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:01 PM »

Seems like the race frame is the way to go.  As mentioned easy change and covers a big wind range coupled witht he SLE. 

Thanks all for the input!!   I also have a collection of different SS tubes that I may give a go.  P100, P200 and several 5P.

Are the verticles much of an issue when changing leading edge?
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11 PM »

Are the verticles much of an issue when changing leading edge?

I always change them out too, same rods as the leading edge.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

wagsboyz

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 08:24 PM »

Makes sense!  Thanx

Since I got a qty of Skyskark p100's blems from Kites and Fun Things I will start there an see what happens.  Probably the Rev race tubes are more like the p200 or 300.

Any ideas what wind range would be expected with P100 SS all around?
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32 PM »

P200 is what ive always wanted to try.

I can still fly lower and better with my old sle w\ race rods than my newer kites w\ 2-wrap.

YMMV.

Wink

Edit: Skyshark has some new designs in rods i'd prefer to try now.
Threre's a new rod he makes, I just can't recall it's name right now.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:42 PM by Dano » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change