GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Flies Over My Head / control issues  (Read 2316 times)
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 20, 2014, 08:53 AM »

a few times when i have been flying my new 12 foot delta it has basically flied right over my head, past 90 degrees straight up in the air, how do you guys go about controlling this? or is there a way?

i have tried letting more line out, and i have tried reeling in, nothing seems to work, is this something i just have to live with?

a few times after it went over me it did a bit of a dive, but then corrected itself without any issues,

i never had any problems or issues like this controlling my 9 foot delta in 2-3 years of flying, it seemed to be very stable and predictable,

the 12 foot seems a bit more unstable and less predictable, is this something that is to be expected with a larger delta? i have only ever flown the 9 foot so i am unsure,

i guess i just expected the 12 foot to fly the same as the 9 foot just with a stronger pull, or was that wishful thinking?

i am flying in the same place i used to fly my 9 foot where the winds are fairy steady and predictable,
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:20 PM »

Here's some good delta flying info from one of the best makers of the type:

http://www.deltas.freeserve.co.uk/typicalflight.html

http://www.deltas.freeserve.co.uk/controlover.html

There's tons of other good stuff on deltas throughout the site. Browse it!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:29 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42 PM »

more tail.....more drag is needed.....
some kites are known for flying directly above you (Joel Scholz Triangulation is one) and might wander a bit up there but stay safe....
for a delta to overfly you that could turn into a big issue if the kite turns nose downwind and then accelerates into a phenomenal noseplant.......
more tails of some sort...spinsocks...tube tails....banner tails...any thing will work to pull it down a little bit (or a lot)...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
coogee

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:38 AM »

Yep a whopping great big tail that will make it behave, even line junk is good.

Mike
Mikey1

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 05:46 AM »

Here's some good delta flying info from one of the best makers of the type:

http://www.deltas.freeserve.co.uk/typicalflight.html

http://www.deltas.freeserve.co.uk/controlover.html

There's tons of other good stuff on deltas throughout the site. Browse it!

thanks, that was good info!
Mikey1

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 05:59 AM »

more tail.....more drag is needed.....
some kites are known for flying directly above you (Joel Scholz Triangulation is one) and might wander a bit up there but stay safe....

its actually funny you mentioned this, because i was thinking the same thing, two days ago i did add a long tail to compare the handling, and the tail actually seemed to make it worse,

i brought the kite down, it was a shaky landing, a bit hard to control at times, but it didn't crash down, i took the tail off and put the kite back up, it seemed to fly better without the tail, more stability, and more predictable,

although the tail was not what i would consider to be a "heavy drag" tail, it was just a long "ribbon tail" that is 50 feet long,

i was thinking about ordering a "helix" type tail, but now im not so sure i should,

i am not sure if it is the kite or me, maybe i just need to get more used to it, or get more practice with my techniques,

i just find it odd because my 9 foot seemed so simple to fly, i never once ever feared a "crash landing" with my 9 foot, but with the 12 there have been a few times where my heart started racing and i became very concerned, although it has never crashed down,

this kite does seem to be ALOT heavier than my 9 foot, i guess its kind of like comparing a compact car to a big extended truck,

i appreciate the help and suggestions,
thief

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:14 AM »

there are mainly two type of tail designs....
ones that are designed to "catch" wind and those that are designed to "float" in the wind...

Those that catch the wind are tubular...spinsocks...windsocks....tubes.....those catch the catch inside them add a lot of drag.....

Those tails that float in the wind are flat; ribbon tails, banner tails, transition tails, Hypno Twisters, helixes....these bits add color to the sky but not as much drag as a tube....

The weight of the kite probably does not have much to do with what you are experiencing...more likely the 12' is a more efficient design than the 9'.....

nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:54 AM »

for tails that catch wind don't forget fuzzy tails and drogues Smiley
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

Re:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17 AM »

I'd agree with using a fuzzy tail. Cheap, easy and creates good drag. I think a helix would create too much drag and make the kite unstable. Try a tail in the middle and not the two wing tips. Some deltas also have two tow points, one for low wind and another for higher wings. Make sure the leading edge spats are pushed all the way to the back /rear of the kite.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 10:52 AM »

for tails that catch wind don't forget fuzzy tails and drogues Smiley
Yep, I just thought of Fuzzy tails right now..they are sort of in between the two types of tails....

Then...to add more fun to this...you can look at tails that are in a U shape (attached to two points on the kite) - this is very good for fuzzy tails...and also there are some Ladder style tails coming out...i have seen both tubes and fuzzy versions of these.....

Drogues fall under the catching the wind design...

Mikey1

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:57 PM »

thanks for the replies,

to answer the questions, i did try the tail attached to the middle point, i have never attached to the wing tips yet,

my 12 foot kite does have 3 tail attachment points, i have only used the middle one where the center spar ends at the back of the kite, and i connected a 50 foot ribbon type tail,

my previous 9 foot did not have any tail attachment points, so i would just connect my 50 foot ribbon tail to the same spot where i connected my line to the kite, that seemed to work well with the 9 foot and it did not affect the kite in any way at all,

the outside wing spars are pushed all the way back to the wing tips, this kite is designed so the spars can not go all the way to the nose, they stop about a foot from the nose which is perfect as there ends are at the wings ends at this point,

this 12 foot only has one line attachment point, it does not have one for high and low winds

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:59 PM by Mikey1 » Logged
thief

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 02:46 PM »

You can very easily take a loop of line and larkshead it to the end of the spine to make a tail attachment point on it.
By putting the tail on the line attachment point you might actually pull the kite slightly nose down and that can change the flight..... But I will admit that sometimes a tail off that point can look very cool.....Frank Schwiemann used to put a tube trail at that point under the original pyro deltas and it looked great.....

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 03:44 PM »

this 12 foot only has one line attachment point, it does not have one for high and low winds

I remove the manufacture's non adjustable  knot and replace with a prusik knot which is quick and easy to adjust for different wind conditions. 

check out the Kite Flier's knot gallery.  http://gamma.nic.fi/~sos/knots.htm
Be glad to send you some line so you can make your own prusik knot

my 12 foot kite does have 3 tail attachment points, i have only used the middle one where the center spar ends at the back of the kite, and i connected a 50 foot ribbon type tail,

Hey Mikey, only add low drag ribbon type tails to the wing tips.  High drag tails can cause excess bowing or breakage of the leading edge spars.
Mikey1

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 04:25 PM »

I remove the manufacture's non adjustable  knot and replace with a prusik knot which is quick and easy to adjust for different wind conditions. 

my kite didnt come with any type of knot attachment, it only came with a metal ring to attach the line to, i have been trying to attach pics but it keeps saying they are too big and wont let me,

basically my line is attaching to a circular metal ring that is about 1 inch diameter
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:30 PM by Mikey1 » Logged
Charles G
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36 PM »

He has an ITW Highlighter Delta which has a single towpoint on the keel, there is no bridle. On a kite with a bridle, I agree, replace the non adjustable towpoint.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum