GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta Flies Over My Head / control issues  (Read 2082 times)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 04:48 PM »

mikey feel free to email me the pictures and i can pop them up for you.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 07:23 PM »

I've almost forgot about that prussik knot...
thanks for the reminder and link, Wayne.  Wink

I got this new great white ghost delta that needs a minor tow point adjustment.

-d
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 11:30 AM »

well i had the kite out again yesterday, winds were moderate for delta flying, very strong pull at times so i kept it fairly low at id say 100 feet or less,

i had one close call where the kite started going to the side and then all of a sudden did a sharp "swoop" toward the ground and then turned back up, it swooped down to about 10-20 feet from the ground and gave me a bit of a scare,

i had the kite out again today, the winds were very light, id say pretty much perfect for a delta, i had it up to about 100 feet for about 10 mins, then the winds died down so i started reeling in slowly and constantly so the line would stay tight, when the kite was about 10-20 feet from the ground it all of a sudden went to one side and literally nose dived right into the ground,

i am sorry i have mentioned the brand name of the kite now because i dont like bad mouthing companies, but i am extremely disappointed in this kite,

i dont claim to be an expert, but im far from a beginner, i have been flying a 9 foot delta for 2-3 years now, and in that 2-3 years i have never had one "close call" or a crash, the thought of losing control of my 9 foot never even crossed my mind, its been smooth sailing every time,

i could easily fly my 9 foot at heights of 500+ feet with 100% confidence, it is very stable, steady, and predictable, my 12 foot is the complete opposite of that,

my 9 foot delta is a generic "no name" brand kite, i payed less than $50 for it, there is no reason why it should fly better than my 12 foot brand name kite,

maybe the tow point on the 12 footer is in the wrong place? i am out of ideas and patience, sorry for the long rant i am just so frusterated

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:12 PM by Mikey1 » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:30 PM »

It's ok Mikey. With a 12 footer I would give it a little more height than 100'. You want to get it up to the smoother winds. Also, make sure the spars along the leading edge are tucked all the way down near the ends of the pocket and not the nose.  You may have to play with it and put your own tow point on it. Personally I don't like the rings for attaching line. All kites have some personality so you may have to play with it some more. Counter to what the common people think (just kidding) you want those kites to have plenty of line. The longer the better to work out subtleties in the wind. Shorter lines are like rodeoing a bronco. You just gotta let those horses fly.
Mikey1

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 12:44 PM »

With a 12 footer I would give it a little more height than 100'. You want to get it up to the smoother winds.

thanks,

your thoughts actually did cross my mind while i was typing my last reply, thinking back now, when i put my 9 foot kite up i let it climb very quickly to 200-300 feet,

i have been letting the 12 foot out very slowly, i dont think i have had it higher than 100-150 feet yet,

i must admit i am a bit intimidated by it, and now after this crash my confidence is very low, i fear a nose dive down to the ground from 400-500 feet  Huh
Tmadz

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 04:48 PM »

150' should be plenty depending on the topography of the land around you. obviously flatter is better, but there is a point where the wind starts t smooth out. You'll need to play with it. I doubt it will nose dive from that height. That happens when you get closer to the ground because the bumpy wind.
thief

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 05:58 PM »

my 9 foot delta is a generic "no name" brand kite, i payed less than $50 for it, there is no reason why it should fly better than my 12 foot brand name kite

Price of kite does not necessarily equate awesomeness of flight........

My old kite shop sold buttloads of plastic skin delta kite for $2.... And they always flew better than anything else......

thief

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 06:01 PM »

You want to get it to smoother winds winds? How high is the trees and such? You can easily get into clean stable winds at 20'at the beach.... There is no set height for stable flight......

Where are you flying???

Mikey1

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 05:28 AM »

Where are you flying???

i have only ever flown my kites in one location, so my thinking is if my 9 foot delta flew fine there for 2-3 years, then the 12 foot should also do the same? please correct me if that logic is somehow flawed,

it is a fairly wide open area, i would say the size of a football field, with only a handful of very small trees around, less then 20 feet tall,

it is a fairly secluded area next to a lake, i am probably standing about 125-150 feet away from the lake, and about 30-50 feet higher than the lake, there is a hill between the lake and i, on the other side of me it is basically wide open land,

i have always found the winds to be steady and consistent here when flying my 9 foot, that is why i kept going back to the same spot, because the 9 foot flew so well,

the only other variable that has changed between the kites is my flying line, i flew the 9 foot on 200 pound kevlar, im using 500 pound kevlar now for the 12 foot, i don't think that should affect anything though?

the next chance i get to go there i might fly my 9 foot again and see how it does on the 500 pound line,
thief

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 06:15 AM »

Every kite is different especially if the two are made from different designers..... They will fly slightly different.... Even if you have two of the exact same kite sometimes imperfections in the spars can make them two different kites......

Where are you located?

Mikey1

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 06:35 AM »

i am in ontario canada, about one hour north of Toronto,

i guess the next time i fly it i will try to let the kite climb higher and faster,

my confidence is very low right now, i dont want another crash landing,

i guess i have a fear of it pulling to fast to hard, so i find myself constantly "holding it back" from what it naturally wants to do,
thief

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 07:21 AM »

Kewl....this link might help you: http://tkf.toronto.on.ca/ that is the website of the Toronto Kite Flyers group....there are some very top notch single line flyers up there in your neck of the woods...and i would expect that some would be eager to help you in person too....They also have an active email listserv too: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tkf/join

Tmadz

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 10:14 AM »

Well if the 9 footer flew fine then it has to be the kite. The 12 footer is just bigger. Hard to diagnose without being there.
Mikey1

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 10:22 AM »

Well if the 9 footer flew fine then it has to be the kite. The 12 footer is just bigger. Hard to diagnose without being there.

see, this is my exact thinking too
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 01:44 PM »

I would "mirror" measure everything left and right. Sticks, bridge, sail, all of it. If it does it to one side vs another then swap what you can (thinking frame if possible) and see if the problem follows.
Had a discussion this past weekend about a home built kite liking to turn one way. Long story short we questioned if the home depot rods used were the same weight and flex or possibly warped. Carbon was going to be swapped in to see if that was the issue.

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change