GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 08:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which kite next?  (Read 1019 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 20, 2014, 11:51 PM »

hi guys
i have coming in the post on the way a black sky burner pro dancer for my inland unruly crap lack of winds!

so my next to get,should i get the hq shadow lite wind kite as well or will the pro dancer be good enough to keep me out of trouble with there aint not much wind ?

next question is i want to get a another kite such as a sky burner widow maker or a prism quantum pro for when there is winds around!

as i have said before im not really a trick guy,just a wind window cruiser.

so out of those 2 kites,which one would best suit me seeing i live in land unruly unstable inconsitent winds the widow maker or the quantum pro ?

thanks in advance guys,much appreciated!
cheers
glen
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:55 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:20 AM »

As I understand it the Pro dancer is a true SUL , best in VERY low/no winds and 'Old School' moves.  The Shadow is an UL which can fly almost into SUL territory - 3mph maybe a little less but not as low as the PD. The Shadow is a much more tricky kite probably best between 4-8 mph, some people find it a bit 'twitchy' but much of this can be sorted with a different bridle.

In short the PD covers you for no/V. low wind, something like the Widow maker/ Quantum pro will work from maybe 6mph upwards - the Shadow would cover the gap inbetween.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Captainbob

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:14 AM »

Another kite that would fill the low wind gap between the Pro Dancer and the Quantum or Widow Maker, is the Zephyr which is a nice flying kite and easy to trick.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:28 AM »

Another kite that would fill the low wind gap between the Pro Dancer and the Quantum or Widow Maker, is the Zephyr which is a nice flying kite and easy to trick.

The Prism Zephyr doesn't go any lower than the standard Widowmaker  or the Blue Moon Exile (sadly no longer made, but they come up second hand reasonably often).  Both these kites go quite a bit lower than most standard kites. 

A couple of large kites that do a great job in the gap between SUL and Std are the Blue Moon Mamba UL and the Benson Phantom Elite UL

The Prodancer SUL beats just about every other full sized kite for flying at the very bottom end of the wind range.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:49 AM »

The Prism Zephyr doesn't go any lower than the standard Widowmaker  or the Blue Moon Exile (sadly no longer made, but they come up second hand reasonably often).  Both these kites go quite a bit lower than most standard kites. 

A couple of large kites that do a great job in the gap between SUL and Std are the Blue Moon Mamba UL and the Benson Phantom Elite UL

The Prodancer SUL beats just about every other full sized kite for flying at the very bottom end of the wind range.

I agree, the zeph is a good (Chinese) kite but is heavy for an ul. The bridle is set horribly heavy too.

I also agree on the exile, great well made kite which flies low.  Cool

kite_pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:29 AM »

hi guys,
thanks for your comments!
so which should i get the widow maker or the quatum pro ?
i dont want to buy anymore crap chinese made piece of sh1t kites like the 4d i have!!!
cheers
glen
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:32 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:22 AM »

i dont want to buy anymore crap chinese made piece of sh1t kites like the 4d i have!!!
cheers
glen

While it's true that there are a lot of poorly made rip offs of well known kites coming out of China/Far East it's a bit unfair to tar all Chinese made kites with the same brush.

Many well known and respected kite manufacturers have their kites made in China- HQ, Prism, Flying Wings, Spirit of Air, Premier and a lot of others - often in their own factories so they can keep an eye on quality. The Flying Wings Soul , made in Taiwan, is one of the best made factory kites I've seen. 

The 4-D is a very well made kite, it is just made to fly well in a very specific wind range ( even if Prism say otherwise) namely 0-3 mph and this is down to design rather than the way it's built in the factory. As far as I know all Prism kites except the Qpro are made in China. 

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kite_pilot

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:57 AM »

well i only really like to suppport u.s.a/europe made kite brands to tell you the truth!!!! Grin
im a quality man,lol!

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 04:00 AM »

I flew a Q Pro once and I thought it flew very heavy. I have a WM and I don't think you can get a much better kite for the money. It's got a nice wind range with the adjustable pig tails and it's just a great overall kite. Just my two cents...

Bob D.
Captainbob

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:46 AM »

hi guys,
cheers
glen

Companies have their products made in China because of the labor cost there. Electronics, bicycles, kites, computers, smartphones, the list goes on and on. Many of these  products are made as well if not better, than products made in Europe and the US. The 4D is a very well made kite in my opinion, I just don't like it's  size and the way it flies, and incidentally, it was designed in the US.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 05:22 AM »

hi guys,
cheers
glen

Companies have their products made in China because of the labor cost there. Electronics, bicycles, kites, computers, smartphones, the list goes on and on. Many of these  products are made as well if not better, than products made in Europe and the US. The 4D is a very well made kite in my opinion, I just don't like it's  size and the way it flies, and incidentally, it was designed in the US.

I agree that a lot of Chinese made products are very well made and the zeph is the best made Chinese made kite I own and it flies OK but it's still no where near the build quality as a Skyburner or benson kite. It feels 'made' not 'crafted' like the latter. All of the products you mention are designed (and often part owned by people) in other countries and only 'made' in china on an industrial scale and are devoid of any craftsmanship.

The sad thing is that in the UK you can pretty much buy a benson or something hand made in your choice of colours for the same money as a zeph.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 07:43 AM »

I flew a Q Pro once and I thought it flew very heavy. I have a WM and I don't think you can get a much better kite for the money. It's got a nice wind range with the adjustable pig tails and it's just a great overall kite. Just my two cents...

+1 especially on the heavy flight of the Qpro. Even the SUL is a bit tanky. Certainly a coastal kite.

My vote for the WM or any of sky burners standards or ULs really. They all fly lighter, better build quality etc. The WM is the most popular for good reason.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Captainbob

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:48 AM »

+1 especially on the heavy flight of the Qpro. Even the SUL is a bit tanky. Certainly a coastal kite.

My vote for the WM or any of sky burners standards or ULs really. They all fly lighter, better build quality etc. The WM is the most popular for good reason.

I have the Widow NG and been flying it for about a month. I  use it for mainly pattern flying , rather than tricking. How do you think the NG and the Widow Maker compare to each other for that type flying? 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
kite_pilot

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40 PM »

well thanks for your advice! Smiley
i think i will buy the widow maker next!
and the beauty of it is you can order it in any color you like! Grin
cheers
glen

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:23 AM »

If cost is an issue the Freestylist UL is a great value for the money and a true UL.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum