GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 05:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding a sport kite in an estate sale...  (Read 550 times)
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: May 28, 2014, 09:08 AM »

My wife goes to just about every estate sale she can find in our area. The other day, I suggested that she keep an eye out for any sport kites that might be picked up for little money. Then I realized I have no idea what 'older' kites to look for. I've only been in to kiting for about a year.

So, the question is.... give me your take on what older sport kites to look for while perusing estate sales. You've heard of the great finds like the Corvette in a barn or the Harley in a barn.... what are the sport kites in a barn to look for?

My apologies if this has already been discussed.

Undecided

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:34 AM »

There are millions who like old cars and bikes, so there are plenty of safe bets however there are far fewer who appreciate old kites so its just down to what some person always hankered for and never got to fly back in the day and is willing to buy now.

I've personally paid good money for old but mundane kites and yet seen 'masterpieces' fail to sell.

Vapours and Synchros always fetch a good price, find a UL Mojo or a NOS Zenith - give me a call first Wink People always expect Neos Omega's to command a high price, one off 'art' single line kites maybe?

ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59 PM »

id look at buying any kites at estate sales , the ones ive bought were pennies on the dollar , 10' flexi for 5 dollars as an example , plus being in to kites for only a year youll be able to add to your collection , you can never have to many , some you buy can be used to train new people or give/sell to family and friends to help them get started , just my two cents , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 05:24 PM »

estate sale might be good....yard sales are awesome...never know what you might find!

a number of years ago I lived in a small town....in our newspaper once there was a Yard Sale ad that said  "office equipment and kites"....a few miles from me so i decided to go check it out....
driving down the street a pristine North Shore Radical was hanging in a tree with an arrow on it....

turned out that this yard sale was by a couple who owned a kite shop in Newport, RI, in the 80s and another shop in Keene, NH.   There was some story about why the shops closed (and some sort of social security fraud as all payments directed to their daughter), and I went back twice.....i ended up giving them about 400$ (around 25 cents on the dollar) and walked away with a huge amount of never flown White Bird kites, line, winders, and lots of other stuff too..at the time i was disinterested in sport kites so did not really look at them.....oops...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:26 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Admin
Administrator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 05:54 PM »

an old friend came across a bag of Peter Betancourt kites at a yard sale back in the day. easy several thousand dollars worth of kites ... got it for about $100 because "they are in a really nice bag"

Forum Admin
"It's good to be king"
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:48 PM »

an old friend came across a bag of Peter Betancourt kites at a yard sale back in the day. easy several thousand dollars worth of kites ... got it for about $100 because "they are in a really nice bag"

This may be part of the set you are referring to.

Here are four of those Betancourt kites. The bag contained three Bad Boys and two Vanishing Points. Shane kept a really nice Vanishing Point, easily worth $250 at the time and passed these beaters to me to fix up.

http://www.threekids.net/kites/oldboys/

Check out some of the kite abuse the Bad Boys suffered! They were flown hard on rough surfaces for years!

The other Vanishing Point (called the ugliest Air Master ever by our friends across the pond) was actually in really good shape but had been stored for so long that the wrinkles never did really leave the sail. It was a hell of a nice flying kite, though. I still have three of these. The RWB one went to Lee S. to play with.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:51 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:22 AM »

Cool kites Allen. I can see what you're talking about with the abuse. Still cool tho.  Cool

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:33 AM »

As for what to look for, well that just take time and experience (lots of reading about old kites on the internet). At yard sale prices I'd say you can't go wrong picking up ANY kite, but then I'm a packrat and I like all kinds of kites.  Cheesy

Almost anything kite related can be resold here given enough time to wait for the right buyer to come along.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 08:55 AM »

and there is no reason to NOT post on gwtw from your phone when you see them....someone is usually online to help out!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40 AM »

I picked up a group of kites from a garage sale ad I saw on craigslist a few years ago.  I only looked at a couple of the kites and offered to buy everything. I left with a trunk full of bags.  Got home and found four Revs, a Firebee, several Prism kites, and a Magnum Opus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change